Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

So random kids who may or may not be mutants, who grew up admiring the X-Men, and now have some of their powers? Hm. I wonder if they are ex-mutants, depowered in the decimation, who have received some sort of 'gene grafts' from some Sinister source allowing them to ape the powers of their idols?

God I could only hope these are existing characters with Sinister enhancements.

Maybe the black Gambit girl is Oya.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yes, they do. I only buy X comics, and I like to know all about everything X-related. I'm still buying FALLEN ANGELS and I don't even like it. I just need to know even if it's mediocre.
    that seems more like a you problem than an xline problem imo

It seems if it would be more exciting if they where chimeras

BANNED

it would be more exciting if it was the already existing mutant kids.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    that seems more like a you problem than an xline problem imo
    True. Just wondering how I became a you problem though. BTW, you have a high chance of encountaring other comic fans who buy a lot of comics on this board. Kisses.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

you understand that if all this worldbuilding was just for one crazy plot line it would immediatly fall flat since it was all just for an epic "arc", worldbuilding can and should exist for its own sake, continuity is will be always present on the fact all books are in krakoa, an each will interact with its elements difrently, sharing the same space.

you are basicaly wanting hickman to treat krakoa as his personal kingdom and not an sandbox where other writers can play in and create their stuff with some notes of what everyone else is doing
    and he stated on twitter you only need to read what you want, if you dont like a book just drop it.
    Fall flat? That's kinda ridiculous. All stories build up to something. Everything in the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones novels are building up to a climactic event. Hickman's Avengers run into Secret Wars didn't fall flat, imo.

Also, it can be a sand box....after you've established what the overarching themes and plot are. Hickman saying you can read what you want doesn't really make sense if he's building to major X-Men events during his run and an eventual climax. What if someone only reads Fallen Angels, but there's an event that bleeds into it that stemmed from X-Men and New Mutants, but had nothing to do with what's happening in Fallen Angels? You can replace FA with any other book, and it's still the same nonsense that made people get tired of events.

This is Hickman we're talking about. This building up to a massive climax, because that's what Hickman does when he writes Marvel comics.

Regardless, flooding the market is always sure to backfire. It's best to give 1 wave time to breathe. At least 1-2 volumes before releasing the 2nd wave.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 01-17-2020 at 09:53 PM.

I’m going to put a dollar or two on one of these Children of the Atom being Martha Johansson in a new body.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Fall flat? That's kinda ridiculous. All stories build up to something. Everything in the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones novels are building up to a climactic event. Hickman's Avengers run into Secret Wars didn't fall flat, imo.

Also, it can be a sand box....after you've established what the overarching themes and plot are. Hickman saying you can read what you want doesn't really make sense if he's building to major X-Men events during his run and an eventual climax. What if someone only reads Fallen Angels, but there's an event that bleeds into it that stemmed from X-Men and New Mutants, but had nothing to do with what's happening in Fallen Angels? You can replace FA with any other book, and it's still the same nonsense that made people get tired of events.

This is Hickman we're talking about. This building up to a massive climax, because that's what Hickman does when he writes Marvel comics.

Regardless, flooding the market is always sure to backfire. It's best to give 1 wave time to breathe. At least 1-2 volumes before releasing the 2nd wave.
    YEP! And while I dislike FA, I love reading about Psylocke. I just hate how they're writing Laura and Cable, two other characters I love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

A song of fire and ice is an individual series, not a comic book line first of all.
    Second, krakoa is not a plot line, it's the new status quo and worldbuilding/setting for all mutants and the x-side of the marvel universe.
    You are basicaly comparing apples and oranges here
    And third, on a proper and vibrant universe, stories can exist just to be told?
    kwannon and some mutants that dont feel comfortable in krakoa is a perfectly fine story to be told ? its a piece of the marvel universe, not just pieces for his own story and if it was krakoa would suck because it would be aparent that it was just one writers pet project, krakoa goes beyond that and thats what makes it fun and interesting, is that even the editorial is invested in it.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-17-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Why does there need to be some overarching... arc? HOXPOX set the stage for the new status quo. Hickman isn’t gearing up to something, it’s supposed to be the new normal. Having expectations that weren’t promised doesn’t usually end well.

https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/...673201664?s=21
    https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/...793923590?s=21
    So I'm guessing you missed his F4 and Avengers runs?

Hickman's prologues, HoX and PoX, scream grand things are coming. The teasers for X-Calibur and New Mutants are clearly hinting at major status quo changes even still (Sunspot is being teased as an insane major player in all this). Hickman always has a plan.

BANNED

apples and oranges since the x-line is basicaly its own universe with its own dynamic, its not comparable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I’m going to put a dollar or two on one of these Children of the Atom being Martha Johansson in a new body.
    Ooh, that could be cool. Random mutant kids who *hate* their mutation / physical condition, having themselves 'reborn' into bodies that have a different, less disabling or 'freaky' mutation...

"Yeah, I used to drip acidic mucus from skin that was translucent and really, really sensitive. And there were tentacles. Now I'm an underwear model. Oh, and I can throw lightning!"

A song of fire and ice is an individual series, not a comic book line first of all.
    Second, krakoa is not a plot line, it's the new status quo and worldbuilding/setting for all mutants and the x-side of the marvel universe.
    You are basicaly comparing apples and oranges here
    And third, on a proper and vibrant universe, stories can exist just to be told?
    kwannon and some mutants that dont feel comfortable in krakoa is a perfectly fine story to be told ? its a piece of the marvel universe, not just pieces for his own story and if it was krakoa would suck because it would be aparent that it was just one writers pet project, krakoa goes beyond that and thats what makes it fun and interesting, is that even the editorial is invested in it.
    You're doing this on purpose...

1) ASOIAF is a single novel line composed of many POVs, each of which is its own plotline that runs parallel with the plotlines of others, and will ultimately tie into each other for the climax. Jamie, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Cersei, Tyrion, Stannis, Arianna, Theon/Reek, Euron, Dany, and Bran all have their own plotlines separate from the others that will eventually converge, just like how all these different comics are separate plotlines that will eventually converge for an event. All these characters that are being focused on were chosen for a reason and should be major players down the line. At least it's safe to assume so, because why else develope them over others? If there is no direction, then there should be even more books with more creators doing whatever they want in this sandbox.

2) Krakoa is the new status quo, yes, and worldbuilding is very important, but it's always better to cement definite foundations first and then branch off. Having 6-7 ongoing books that serve as the back bones. X-Men can't even get it's schedule correct after 3 issues, yet they're announcing book after book.

3) Yes stories can be told, but Hickman is here to tell a grand story. That's why he shaped a new status quo so that he can play without worrying about the stories of those that came before him. Establish a first act first (HoX/PoX was the prologue), then build. Miniseries and/or more ancillary ongoings after 1-2 volume worth of storytelling and worldbuilding with those backbone books. Now that you've allowed the first wave time to breathe, and gauged the temperature in the room, then experiment. However now you've got a definitive direction and collection of tones. Have 3 books branch out of X-Factor and/or 4 books branch out of X-Force. Maybe the Wolverine solo is the result of the fallout of a decision made within X-Force? Maybe an X-kids book is to follow up on a side character helped out in X-Factor? Organic storytelling like that, rather than random stories be told, just cuz. That's how you get people to branch out and buy 12+ books; by establishing a foundation, and building off that. ASOIAF didn't start with 20 POVs, but built to that point.

That way, people can tell their own stories in that sandbox, but it's clear where those stories are coming ftom, and where they fit in the world. They don't have to tie directly into the grand plot, but they are consequences of the main plot. It makes everything come off as organized and planned, rather than done just cuz someone was like "that's cool"; like the random Spider-Man and the X-Men book that did nothing for either franchise.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 01-17-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Hickman is also a liar and troll. And even then its not like he would ever come out and say "only THIS series matters to what we're doing" or "this aspect is only a temporary thing". Right now because every mutant is on Krakoa, and every book is all about Krakoa and its relationships with other nations and even other planets, they all feel like required reading. They all don't feel like individual stories in a sandbox, they feel like they're building to something specific. But I can see how some would think differently. I personally subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Krakoa isn't meant to last more than a year, two years at best, and will end with a 'reboot' of the X men to get them into an MCU-friendly position before they start showing up in movies.

this book in particular is either a new generation of mutants or the introduction of Chimeras; its not 100% clear at this point. Both have important implications for Krakoa. If you haven't been following what's going on, you have almost zero reason to care. If you have been following along, then this feels like major reading because it involves either new mutants responding to Krakoa or the introduction of Chimeras, a major plot point of HoXPoX. Either way, to say you can just ignore it feels disingenuous