Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Another batch of kids just turns off people, because we know nothing will come of them. How many times can they do this?
    This is the point entirely. Introducing new teen characters wouldn't be so much of an issue if Marvel ACTUALLY INVESTED IN THEM. And that simply won't happen where the Sliding Time Scale exists, and Editorial insists on doubling down on the idea the O5 aren't even out of their 20s yet. The New X-Men was literally the last time we had a new generation with a real sense of development towards becoming a major fixture in the franchise. Then AvX hit and subsequent waves of editors decided that it aged the O5+ too much so decided to freeze them in place. They SHOULD be in the position for the 2010s crop that the New Mutants and Gen X were for them. Instead they're all* being treated like children.

I'm not a real big fan of the DC characters, but there's little doubt in my mind that they've handled the concept of Legacy and new generations FAR better than Marvel has.

We've been watching Marvel do this for literally the last 10 years, with new teen casts being plopped in on top of the existing ones and never giving them a chance to grow and breathe.

*X-23 being the one real exception, and even she suffers from Marvel seeming to not really know what to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This is the point entirely. Introducing new teen characters wouldn't be so much of an issue if Marvel ACTUALLY INVESTED IN THEM. And that simply won't happen where the Sliding Time Scale exists, and Editorial insists on doubling down on the idea the O5 aren't even out of their 20s yet. The New X-Men was literally the last time we had a new generation with a real sense of development towards becoming a major fixture in the franchise. Then AvX hit and subsequent waves of editors decided that it aged the O5+ too much so decided to freeze them in place. They SHOULD be in the position for the 2010s crop that the New Mutants and Gen X were for them. Instead they're all* being treated like children.

I'm not a real big fan of the DC characters, but there's little doubt in my mind that they've handled the concept of Legacy and new generations FAR better than Marvel has.

We've been watching Marvel do this for literally the last 10 years, with new teen casts being plopped in on top of the existing ones and never giving them a chance to grow and breathe.

*X-23 being the one real exception, and even she suffers from Marvel seeming to not really know what to do with her.
    DC new 52 completely wrecked the concept of Legacy. Marvel have a much better handle of it lately. x-men sucks at it lOL

I wasn't expecting a new book focusing on new teenage characters a la teen titans with powers like the adult x-men.
    Bit of new concept, but again there is too many x-men young characters to develop and showcase

Rachel Summers is serving drinks at that particular Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Rachel Summers is serving drinks at that particular Limbo.
    She'll be in X-factor now! Hopefully not as a punching bag.

This looks bad. I'm all for new characters, but why bother being invested in plain knockoffs of established characters with nothing to add of their own? Gambit is cool. He was a big hit in the '90s because he had charisma, charm, and a cool power set alongside a unique design and story of his own.

A black lady modeled after Gambit with no flair or anything to add is just... boring.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    really? I find her design awful. There is a lot more characters waiting on the spotlight and doesn't involve time travel
    Aww, I think she looks awesome. They don't have to do time travel, just make her a chimera in this timeline.

Aww, I think she looks awesome. They don't have to do time travel, just make her a chimera in this timeline.
    Or find a stasis pod in The World in some corner they missed. Who said the Cuckoos were the first attempt?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Chimeras aren't daughters of two or more people. And she wouldn't be the same

BANNED

That's part of the fear, too.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like Hickman has as much of a focus this time around. I get that all these books are for world building, but what are we building to? I get the excitement to find out the mystery, but what are the overarching themes?

When Hickman had control over Acengers for 3-4 years there was a focus and only 3-4 books. With this? Too much is happening, honestly.
    he was dealing with a simple cookiecutter superhero teams, here he is dealing with basicaly its own mini universe, that can branch into hundreds of possibilities, no point in comparing 2 concepts that cant compete in complexity and depth.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-17-2020 at 07:28 PM.

I generally agree that Marvel has screwed young mutants since Gen X. But some point a new group of mutants is/was inevitable and somepoint you hope they learned the lesson to stick with these creations.

Now for the disrespectful part as much as I like many of the new creations since GenX no new young characters has strike big other than X23( yes that is partial because of what has been mentioned above). It seems like JDW doesn't want to push the recent creations and there isn't a superstar in the group so you can't really blame him. I don't know if young mutants cosplaying as their favourite X-men is the going to be that amazing but if they are treating it like New Mutants or GenX with a long term plan then I am happy to see where it goes and if they can do it right.

Lastly this project is created by queer black nonbinary person and if you don't understand how huge of deal that is then read some of dicussion of race and character progression on these boards.You have someone writing characters who knows what shade of color Sunspot skin is suppose to be and a person who even if they have same crush on Kitty as other writers do it is going to take a different angle. It is going to be interesting how these characters are fleshed out.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-17-2020 at 08:50 PM.

I hope this is an anthology because this line up is extremely vanilla.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

you are hitting the nail on this one.
    if we knew the forgotten generation were getting their own title with a serious team to suceed we could perhaps give this book the benefit of the doubt, since there would be some signs of change, but since there are no such sign, we can only expect the same from these 5 very boring looking characthers.
    just more papper to the wall

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I generally agree that Marvel has screwed young mutants since Gen X. But some point a new group of mutants is/was inevitable and somepoint you hope they learned the lesson to stick with these creations.

Now for the disrespectful part as much as I like many of the new creations since GenX no new young characters has strike big other than X23( yes that is partial because of what has been mentioned above). It seems like JDW doesn't want to push the recent creations and there isn't a superstar in the group so you can't really blame him. I don't know if young mutants cosplaying as their favourite X-men is the going to be that amazing but if they are treating it like New Mutants or GenX with a long term plan then I am happy to see where it goes and if they can do it right.

Lastly this project is created by queer black nonbinary person and if you don't understand how huge of deal that is then read some of dicussion of race and character progression on these boards.You have someone writing characters who knows what shade of color Sunspot skin is suppose to be and a person who even if they have same crush on Kitty as other writers do it is going to take a different angle. It is going to be interesting how these characters are fleshed out.
    no matter how much i want to support vita, I just cant get with the treatment of a tremendously diverse set of characthers that have been so forgotten in favor of these new ones, and the best way to speak up is with my wallet.

I love this Hickman set this up months ago... Ooohh another summers child

BANNED

im frustrated because they are repeating old mistakes and aparently expecting a difrent outcome, and we know once this is canceled 12 issues in the x-office wont learn its lesson and will probably use the "people just dont like books about young mutants", again.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.