Page 42 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol kinda surprised no ones said that yet.

Ugh me neither. Idk if cause my Mom was SUPER into Voltron and I rebelled against that but I haaaaate "Hero" stories about a regular person inside Giant Robots.... suits of Armor...Cosplay Costumes that allows them to be "Super"
    Like I reeeeeeally Hate that concept.
    Hate. Hate.

Soooo in the 'Outsider Narrative' the X-Men spouts: they make use of attractive mostly Straight White people Who have an X-Gene that sets them outside of what a normal human is supposed to be
    Judging only from the previews: this book has a buncha attractive mostly white kids who are normal humans put on the costumes of those discriminated against Mutants..For reasons...? We don't Know yet but I'm still unsure what this book is supposed to be about/ who it's for.

I didn't read all the thread pages but thanks in advance if someone can clue me in as to why this book is appealing to you
    The first thing that caught my attention was it being written by Vita Ayala, "a non-binary, queer Afro-Latinx writer from New York City" as they state on their patreon. So I'm already interested in their perspective and where they might take this.

It seems the Archangel and Gambit cosplayers are black and someone mentioned the Nightcrawler dude may be asian. The idea of human children trying to be heroes doesn't necessarily interest me but the writer definitely does. Considering how much queer characters are being pulled back into the spotlight, I think Marvel and Vita have some statements to make.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Still hoping it's not just tech tho. Because if Forge is good enough to give someone Marvel Girl level of TK then every mutant on the island should get that tech hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I didn’t say they need to make a new OR another generation of mutants.
    And yet that is the most common retort to this book from long time fans. Either requests to revisit the New X-Men, or introduce a new group of Krakoan mutants. Also, props to Marvel with this team. They've seen the success they've had with characters like Miles and Kamala and aren't backing down with the minority representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha
    Still hoping it's not just tech tho. Because if Forge is good enough to give someone Marvel Girl level of TK then every mutant on the island should get that tech hahaha
    Can you imagine how salty some people would be? Forge just casually recreating their powers so everyone can have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah I keep getting more and more intrigued as we learn more. We know they're in high school so I don't think it would go over well with the parents that someone was providing them with tech to fight Sentinels. LOL!

I just can't get excited about this. I normally go out of my way to pick up the younger hero books that give good representation, but this feels so dead on arrival. Just conceptually there feels like so many problems that it feels like they stuck Vita on this book to say that when it fails, they'll blame it on minority characters and writers and use that to justify not doing this with a better concept

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It seems the Archangel and Gambit cosplayers are black and someone mentioned the Nightcrawler dude may be asian. The idea of human children trying to be heroes doesn't necessarily interest me but the writer definitely does. Considering how much queer characters are being pulled back into the spotlight, I think Marvel and Vita have some statements to make.
    The Nightcrawler wannabe was confirmed Asian on Vita's twitter. I'm also pretty sure the Marvel Girl wannabe is Mexican, his mask resembles a luchador mask. And the white Cyclops kid is likely either NB or a baby butch. The book has good representation. I just really don't want an X-book focused on humans playing at being mutants (if they are human). I also already dislike the sidekick angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The Nightcrawler wannabe was confirmed Asian on Vita's twitter. I'm also pretty sure the Marvel Girl wannabe is Mexican, his mask resembles a luchador mask. And the white Cyclops kid is likely either NB or a baby butch. The book has good representation. I just really don't want an X-book focused on humans playing at being mutants (if they are human). I also already dislike the sidekick angle.
    Yeah I got the vibe that the Marvel Girl dude was Hispanic or Latino. Good call with NB or baby butch with the Cyclops one.

I was very apprehensive of the theme too but the more I think about it, if Vita can paint a nice correlation between a group of human minorities (if that's what they are) with the mutants, it could be interesting.

EDIT: The Gambit gal may actually be Afro-Latinx like Vita.

BANNED

Sure the idea we have of the book rn is pretty unexciting but the DoX books were very criticized when first announced and look how that turned out.
    I want to like this book strictly bc of how pressed it makes New XMen fans tho ngl.

The first thing that caught my attention was it being written by Vita Ayala, "a non-binary, queer Afro-Latinx writer from New York City" as they state on their patreon. So I'm already interested in their perspective and where they might take this.

Oh thanks dude! Kiiinde less hatarade from me now.... lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Oh thanks dude! Kiiinde less hatarade from me now.... lol
    You're welcome! What I'm also REALLY hoping for is that one of these characters is trans and Vita GOES there - a trans character feeling alienated from the LGBTQ+ community. Does anyone have a scan of their appearance in Marvel Voices?

And to pkingdom, I would hope Marvel is NOT trying to throw minorities under the bus, at least not with the increase in representation lately.

There is something to be said about the potential ‘cultural appropriation’ aspect of this book. We’ve seen that mutants have a lot of human supporters in this new dawn, and we know how hype they get about their favs:

Creative teams have tried to tackle it to...varying degrees...but I also remember Vita bodying the hell out of the mutant metaphor/real-life representation problem in Prisoner X so I absolutely trust them to handle this with grace and finesse. Plus, Chang is a godsent on art so this book is gonna look so pretty.

Yup that what caught me, I am less interested in it if it might be humans dressing up as humans but I am dam sure going to give black writer with a minority cast a fair shot winning me over . And Vita has proven to be a good writer and Hickman and Duggan has said the first issue is great so I am expecting good things.

The Nightcrawler kid is Chinese American if I remember correctly

This really has the potential to be my favourite book. It reminds me of the first Young Avengers which is one of my favourite runs ever.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    It could be interesting if some outside force was attempting to 'steal' or copy mutant powers to form their own super-soldiers or whatever, and these kids are the result of those experiments, and any Forge-tech they have is to help them control the powers that they have had grafted on to them.

Various factions in the past, like those freaky humans that steal mutant body parts in Morrison's run, or even the new faction that skinned Domino to steal her powers recently, have precedent for those sorts of shenanigans, and even current Krakoan allies like Magneto and Sinister have dabbled in this field (Magneto creating all sorts of 'mutates' artificially in the Savage Land, experimenting on the native people...).

That way the new characters could be more than just cosplayers with mutant-power-emulating tech.

I'm just here for she-Gambit with a 'fro. I want to like her just because I love her look, I could care about the others.

And Gomi remains unimpressed. He's the original 'Marvel Girl fanboi with tech-simulated telekinesis.'

This comes off like a Young Avengers ripoff just less charming.

Side note if their not mutants so they don't have the protection Krakoa ensures from government laws. And Outlawed/ Kamala Law forbids child Superheroes how is this gonna go down?