Page 38 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Lobdell created her Bahamian?
    There was one line in a caption box in the blink mini series that said she was from the Bahamas and nothing else about her family and background. I have that series and didn’t even remember that, lol. The x-movies definitely have their white washing problems, but they can’t really be blamed for that one. Th movie folks might have thought they were adding diversity by casting blink as Asian (but they were mostly trying to appeal to China.)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    We still out here using ‘SJW’ as a pejorative?
    No I am not, not in the very least...and more tongue-in-cheek than "perjorative"

But feel free to twist what I've posted to suit your own purpose.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    They've got to stop just giving black female characters Afros especially mutants. They're mutants! Their hair can look any damn way it wants to, no rules! Create more unique interesting dynamic features for ur black X characters so H can stop pigeonholing bishop and storm as tokens and give them a rest.
    Jesus what the ****?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    The more art of this one the more I think Butterball Avenger Academy. Now hear me out theres actual thought behind this. He was once said to be inmune to some forms of telepathy, so theres the connection to his mentor Jean Grey. He is a KNOWN fanboy of heros in fact was part of his character type. He also gained his powers via unknown means, maybe revealed to be mutant? https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Emery_Schaub_(Earth-616)
    why would he take a brazilian code name?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The creator Scot Lobdell gave her the background she was always from the Bahamas. For most her time existing she was drawn as generic person with no features, the movie and show casted her as Asian inspite of her background. The exile created team expanded on her background and the artist drew her with influence coming from Janelle Monae and not generic character with no background. People can not like it but stuff only happens because creators are aware of the culture backgrounds and don't flesh out characters properly. Blink was an open door just as Domino after all these years and books is still an open door. You leave the door open and someone else will jump in and do what they want.

And bringing it back on topic I bet you these characters won't have that type of blank slate/touch only the surface culture issues because the creators are minorities. I expect the backgrounds to be fleshed out throughly.
    I don't remember the Bahamas thing. Must have been from Exiles. They did write her into the Clan Akkaba stuff with her being descended from the Slades and they were not of color.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    why would he take a brazilian code name?
    Have they released codenames? I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The creator Scot Lobdell gave her the background she was always from the Bahamas. For most her time existing she was drawn as generic person with no features, the movie and show casted her as Asian inspite of her background. The exile created team expanded on her background and the artist drew her with influence coming from Janelle Monae and not generic character with no background. People can not like it but stuff only happens because creators are aware of the culture backgrounds and don't flesh out characters properly. Blink was an open door just as Domino after all these years and books is still an open door. You leave the door open and someone else will jump in and do what they want.
    with some characters the door is open. i liked Zazie playing Domino. but Blink had two very distinct looks for the majority of her career. and she's had a mini series or two. she was a focal point in the Age of Apocalypse. it was always straight hair and elfin features. i see the Janelle Monae influence. i'm good with there being a character like that. i just think it unwise to just up and change a character who has been around for awhile into that. who was straightening her hair in the AoA environment?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Have they released codenames? I missed that.
    i just saw that it said "brawl" in brazilian portugese on the drawing. i guess it could just be the artist's addition.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 01-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    They've got to stop just giving black female characters Afros especially mutants. They're mutants! Their hair can look any damn way it wants to, no rules! Create more unique interesting dynamic features for ur black X characters so H can stop pigeonholing bishop and storm as tokens and give them a rest.
    This is the silliest **** I've ever read on here.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    I don't remember the Bahamas thing. Must have been from Exiles. They did write her into the Clan Akkaba stuff with her being descended from the Slades and they were not of color.
    i wish that clan akkaba didn't exist. it just about ruined Chamber for awhile. if Blink is one of his, she might be the only person of color in clan akkaba. his son in the AoA universe was blonde haired and blue eyed, iirc.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    Nah she was said to have been from the Bahamas either during the Phalanx Covenant or at the start of AoA. I distinctly remember them mentioning it that early in her character bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Nah she was said to have been from the Bahamas either during the Phalanx Covenant or at the start of AoA. I distinctly remember them mentioning it that early in her character bio.
    i don't remember this at all. and i started reading again during the Phalanx Covenant. i remember where all of the other Generation X kids were from (and that Penance was originally from Yugoslavia). do you have a source? because nothing about the name Clarice Ferguson screams 'bahamian.'

Plenty of women of colour wear weaves to attain straight her. Blink's skin is fuchsia, so I don't think anything in her history contradicts the "Bahamian immigrant to Miami" storyline. Not even her association to the Slades. There are plenty of biracial people in the world, she could be biracial and Bahamian.

Blink #1 (2001) I read this issue a few weeks back, it says Bahamas. It's written by Lobdell

Here's a link for comixology

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Plenty of women of colour wear weaves to attain straight her. Blink's skin is fuchsia, so I don't think anything in her history contradicts the "Bahamian immigrant to Miami" storyline. Not even her association to the Slades. There are plenty of biracial people in the world, she could be biracial and Bahamian.
    come on. so you're telling me that her hair remained straight for the first 100 something appearances (captured by the Phalanx, fighting for her life in a war torn world, and dimension hopping w/ the exiles) because she was carrying around a weave? there's nothing wrong with her being a black woman. but don't insult my intelligence. if the had intended for her to be a black woman, it would have come up before now. there would have been an offhanded comment about her ethnicity. Marvel is generally very proud of their diversity. but the way that she was originally drawn, she made Emma Frost look like Oprah Winfrey.