Page 20 of 73 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    apples and oranges since the x-line is basicaly its own universe with its own dynamic, its not comparable.
    That's irrelevant to telling a story. Regardless of the playground/verse, telling a story needs certain things. Haphazardly telling a story with no endgame and no direction, and just incorporating things that sound cool, is how you get Bendis's X-Men run.

Look at how Coates is doing the Marvel Cosmic. All the stories bleed into each other (for the most part; not everything is perfect, of course).

BANNED

"mcu friendly" anything makes me barf.

Krakoa will not be the MCU status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Hickman is also a liar and troll. And even then its not like he would ever come out and say "only THIS series matters to what we're doing" or "this aspect is only a temporary thing". Right now because every mutant is on Krakoa, and every book is all about Krakoa and its relationships with other nations and even other planets, they all feel like required reading. They all don't feel like individual stories in a sandbox, they feel like they're building to something specific. But I can see how some would think differently. I personally subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Krakoa isn't meant to last more than a year, two years at best, and will end with a 'reboot' of the X men to get them into an MCU-friendly position before they start showing up in movies.

this book in particular is either a new generation of mutants or the introduction of Chimeras; its not 100% clear at this point. Both have important implications for Krakoa. If you haven't been following what's going on, you have almost zero reason to care. If you have been following along, then this feels like major reading because it involves either new mutants responding to Krakoa or the introduction of Chimeras, a major plot point of HoXPoX. Either way, to say you can just ignore it feels disingenuous
    Well everything feels like required reading because we don't have any clue of any direction for this timeline. You don't know what stories matter, and which don't. So if you're really invested, you feel like you gotta get all the books; even the ones you don't enjoy.

I agree with you. Saying to just read what you like sounds ridiculous when it's clear there's huge X-Men events coming in the coming years.

BANNED

obviously krakoa will never be in the mcu, since the mcu loathes any worldbuilding thicker than a wet napkin, but i hate comic-movie synergy, all it does is wash down the books and spread the mcu's mediocricity in more than one medium.

and once again when it comes to this "climax" you are in such a desperate need to have it shown already, there will probably be tie ins, recomended reading lists, etc etc, and of course a bajilion online resources to explain things you dont know, that is a non issue, and if you are not enjoying the present stories being told or you need some "plot twist" or whatever to an entire line of books to enjoy it, then dont pick any of these until the event is revealed and you see if it interests you or not.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-17-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Maybe not, but the HoX/PoX storyline is a convenient way to explain existence of mutants, and why they've been absent this whole time.

Also a convenient way to bring back Iron Man and Captain America....

Me too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Brand synergy! Beware the power of the mouse. Krakoa will absolutely not be the MCU status quo for mutants. I meant that Krakoa will 'end' in a way that puts mutants in a setting and position that will be similar to whatever they do with the movies. Anything from just ignoring it and starting a new school or starting mutant-human relations from scratch with some kind of DC style Crisis crossover reboot. Think of it as a way to pare down the huge number of mutant characters while also simplifying X continuity and undoing the frankly ridiculous number of genocides and crap.

Even if that's not the plan, there is a VERY high chance that when the movies start up, some Disney executive will look at the comics, say "why are the X-men on a gross alien island thing? Everyone knows the X-men run a school!" and pressuring Marvel to make it happen again.

BANNED

Brand synergy! Beware the power of the mouse. Krakoa will absolutely not be the MCU status quo for mutants. I meant that Krakoa will 'end' in a way that puts mutants in a setting and position that will be similar to whatever they do with the movies. Anything from just ignoring it and starting a new school or starting mutant-human relations from scratch with some kind of DC style Crisis crossover reboot. Think of it as a way to pare down the huge number of mutant characters while also simplifying X continuity and undoing the frankly ridiculous number of genocides and crap.

Even if that's not the plan, there is a VERY high chance that when the movies start up, some Disney executive will look at the comics, say "why are the X-men on a gross alien island thing? Everyone knows the X-men run a school!" and pressuring Marvel to make it happen again.
    brand synergy hasnt helped gamora, captain marvel, black widow, scarlet witch. the wasp and whatever, it doesnt work and just manages to piss off your current audience, and i hardly doubt any disney exec even cares about something so small, because if they did they would have come down like hawks on these archaic direct market publishing lines, but they havent , sooo

that version of the x-men you sugest sounds like absolute garbage after these last 20 years of history
    i cannot stress how many times my eyes saw the front of my brain there
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-17-2020 at 11:02 PM.

brand synergy hasnt helped gamora, captain marvel, black widow, scarlet witch. the wasp and whatever, it doesnt work and just manages to piss off your current audience, and i hardly doubt any disney exec even cares about something so small, because if they did they would have come down like hawks on these archaic direct market publishing lines, but they havent , sooo

that version of the x-men you sugest sounds like absolute garbage after these last 20 years of history
    i cannot stress how many times my eyes saw the front of my brain there
    Do not underestimate the mouse and its capacity to make bad decisions backed by entitled executives who think they know better.

And relax. Its just a conspiracy theory at the moment.

BANNED

Do not underestimate the mouse and its capacity to make bad decisions backed by entitled executives who think they know better.

And relax. Its just a conspiracy theory at the moment.
    id rather enjoy my mutie renassaince after enduring years of pure garbo, in peace and in the present

obviously krakoa will never be in the mcu, since the mcu loathes any worldbuilding thicker than a wet napkin, but i hate comic-movie synergy, all it does is wash down the books and spread the mcu's mediocricity in more than one medium.

and once again when it comes to it there will probably be tie ins, recomended reading lists, etc etc, and of course a bajilion online resources to explain things you dont know, that is a non issue, and if you are not enjoying the present stories being told or you need some "plot twist" or whatever to an entire line of books to enjoy it, then dont pick any of these until the event is revealed and you see if it interests you or not
    Mainstream/casual readers aren't going to look up those recommended reading lists by hardcore fans. That's who the comic book industry needs to stay alive for another 80 years (which it very likely won't, but let's stay optimistic lol). I know a lot of people who don't read comics regularly, who picked up and enjoyed HoX/PoX, and now most have dropped off because they've got no idea where the story is going. There was a lot of momentum, and then nothing. I know I was really interested in the flagship book, but now I'm just hoping for consistent releases (Yu sucks, btw).

I just feel that this wasn't planned much, other than the prologue (HoX/PoX). Look at DC right now, it's chaos lol. They had the Rebirth, and was driving smooth for about two years. Then 2019 happened lol. Everyone is just doing whatever stories they what and it's been chaos

The last 2-3 decades of X-men stories are trash. ... this turning into an MCU rant.

Not thrilled with sidekick/chimeras. I’m a big fan of big ideas but I think Hickx-men ain’t for me.

I'm excited. I've been a hardcore X-Men fan since 1988. I've bought a lot of mediocre and, honestly, trash ass X-books over the years. Since "House Of X/Powers Of X" has been announced I've been HELLA excited about the X-Men and I'm buying EVERYTHING and giving it a chance.
    Fallen Angels is my least favorite DOX title, but I'm gonna finish it.
    Hellions and Cable do not look interesting to me at all, but I'm gonna give them a shot b/c I didn't think I'd be interested in X-Factor, but that book has been one of my favorites.
    I'm gonna give Children Of The Atom a shot. Again, I find all this exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    That's irrelevant to telling a story. Regardless of the playground/verse, telling a story needs certain things. Haphazardly telling a story with no endgame and no direction, and just incorporating things that sound cool, is how you get Bendis's X-Men run.

Look at how Coates is doing the Marvel Cosmic. All the stories bleed into each other (for the most part; not everything is perfect, of course).
    Bendis wasn’t setting up a world or even changing the entire status quo with the O5. He introduced a concept that not only had a limited run, but set an endgame almost immediately. They had to go back. We got story after story about different people reacting to them, then story after story of how they can’t go back. Powers of X set to basically show the audience, future marvel writers, editors why the X-Men were essentially broken as a concept and kept running into the same walls and pitfalls. The sheer scope of the storytelling while simultaneously building up a brand new world for all mutant characters ensured a very wide array of stories. It wasn’t as simple as bringing 5 mutants back from the past or putting a bunch of X-Men on a reserve, but literally breaking down the core concept of the X-Men and making something that can really last.

If Hickman said you don’t have to pick up these titles, then he’s probably learned from when he was working under the Avengers office. There is a direction for all these books and it’s been said multiple times, it’s to help build up the world of Krakoa. As for an endgame, why is that such a focal point? The whole point of HOXPOX was to not hold onto those cynical views of “when’s everything gonna crash and burn?” so we can actually unclench and just enjoy the stories being given to us. Also, all Cates stories bleed into each other because he’s writing everything and those titles keep ending so there’s really no choice.

It'd be cool if Sunch and skin were in a reg book.+ This already needs more minorities lol
    GrindrStone(D)