Page 36 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

The implication that some might have tech-based versions of classic X-powers, is interesting.

Apocalypse, creators of Angel's metal wings, already lives on Krakoa, so that's no big. But a visor that can open a hole to the punch dimension? That'd be a fun toy. And one that can access the brimstone dimension that Kurt uses to teleport? Seems like it could be a bad idea, given that some nasty stuff has been locked away there (including Azazel, for a time). Both sorts of devices might end up weakening barriers between worlds, in some techno-babble way, and end up having to be abandoned, or adjusted somehow, after some shenanigans related to them result, such as random 'holes' to the punch or brimstone dimensions opening up and refusing to close, flooding the area with 'punch' energy, or clouds of black smoke and hordes of prankish whiskey-stealing Bamfs. (Or something far more serious, and less fun, like, "Krakoa just fell into the Brimstone Dimension, and boy, is *it* pissed...")

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The other angle of this book that nobody has mention is the adults since these guys are sidekicks then there is a likelihood is that the adult X-men mentors is going to spend some time with them and maybe on occasion act as team. So what do people think about Cyclops,Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Angel and Gambit plus Storm as a team?
    It wouldn't be a bad team, just a very vanilla.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So what do people think about Cyclops,Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Angel and Gambit plus Storm as a team?
    I like them all, but as a team, they bore me. Storm is a necessary addition to me, because having the mentor team be composed exclusively of straight, white
    characters for a group of diverse proteges was not a great look. Still really dislike the concept of sidekicks, and the fact that the new characters are fanboys that idolize the mentor group, and the not great, even more unoriginal than usual, designs. Hopefully the powersets aren't as similar as they appear on the promo material we've seen so far.

It would be rad if they were all accidents. If they where created well they were trying to figure out the resurrection process

I don’t really get who this is for. Readers old enough to have nostalgia for the original five don’t seem like they’d be into zoomer teen versions, while for pretty much the majority of fans the ANAD, 90s, or Morrison X-Men are the definitive X-Men. Same issue as the de-aged O5 really.

This book feels like a 'diversity book'. And I don't mean that in a 'its sucks or that's terrible' kind of way. The Big 2 have a tendency to take a 'diverse' (non-straight, white guy) writer and put them on a half-baked 'diverse' book, and then when/if the book fails they blame fans for not being interested in those kind of stories. Some series can succeed despite this, but it reminds me of the Iceman or Hellcat solo. The writers on them have been super upfront of all the meddling they had to put up with.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I don’t really get who this is for. Readers old enough to have nostalgia for the original five don’t seem like they’d be into zoomer teen versions, while for pretty much the majority of fans the ANAD, 90s, or Morrison X-Men are the definitive X-Men. Same issue as the de-aged O5 really.
    It's for any readers old, new, devout, lapsed, who might look at it and think it's interesting...?
    I'm one of those readers "old enough" who like new and interesting concepts yet...I do believe ANAD 90s and MXM are quite definitive in their own rights. (I vehemently loathed Bendis' TO5, though)

Quite contrary to what CBR might project, the overall x-readership isn't so diametrically segmented.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

They know and they don't care. New characters aren't for new readers. They're for writers who see an easy trip to the MCU. Even if their book failed, the concept could still make the jump into a movie if done right. But even if you take that out, new characters are like writers coming in and taking a piss on the walls to make it theirs. For example, whoever created Negasonic prob got a sweet deal when Deadpool movie used her.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 01-27-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    They know and they don't care. New characters aren't for new readers. They're for writers who see an easy trip to the MCU. Even if their book failed, the concept could still make the jump into a movie if done right. But even if you take that out, new characters are like writers coming in and taking a piss on the walls to make it theirs. For example, whoever created Negasonic prob got a sweet deal when Deadpool movie used her.
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that most writers get jack **** when their characters end up in movies. The best example is the guy who created Rocket Raccoon, who had to crowdsource his cancer treatment because he was never, and likely will never, be properly compensated for creating the character. Most writers sign over their rights to any character they create when they sign up for these books

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I can tell you with absolute certainty that most writers get jack **** when their characters end up in movies. The best example is the guy who created Rocket Raccoon, who had to crowdsource his cancer treatment because he was never, and likely will never, be properly compensated for creating the character. Most writers sign over their rights to any character they create when they sign up for these books
    Basically all you get for creating someone in a notation that the character was created by you on wikipedia and not much else. Although someone who does incredibly well with pre-existing characters might not even get that, there are Silver Age, Bronze Age, and crossover event stories to push rather than anything you did.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    You are completely and absolutely wrong. Hickman has mentioned how he received nothing for Infinity War apart from appearing in the acknowledgments.

Grant Morrison named Negasonic Teenage Warhead. He also killed her like a page later, so you could argue the films did way more to develop her as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Grant Morrison named Negasonic Teenage Warhead. He also killed her like a page later, so you could argue the films did way more to develop her as a character.
    *To develop her as another character. They just took the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    *To develop her as another character. They just took the name.
    When you’re right you’re right.