Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    it wont, it wasnt with some of the bendis kids, jean grey kids, it wasnt with the lights, it wasnt with new x-men pre and after the decimation, most of generation x was witout a home or dead for years, the new mutants had their team butchered into x-force and it took years to get their team back on their own stories.

this wont be any difrent and it just adds to the problem
    Sad, but true. It's sad seeing Marvel enthusiastically announcing books that have already died, and they'll blame it on alt-right trolls, or something.

that's a reach now, this title is a bad premiss not because of some diversity boogyman but because its very much what none of us want or need, lets not when hickman has showered vita with praise
    This title is just one title. The problem is that it's the latest in a trend that Marvel has been sliding towards for awhile now. It's shameless pandering, with little to no thought behind it. If you've read Hickman, you know he doesn't pander at all; he just tells his story. Hickman is praised, yes, but he's one of the few lights in the dark that's making Marvel money consistently. He was the one they dragged back, because of his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ha I imagine. tbh I not that into art Like if X-Men just came in typical novel format I'd. Love it. Manga's art to picture ratio just doesn't vibe with me. The animes are badass tho lol
    Ah, well, I can understand that much lol.

BANNED

it be much better if it was trolls complainig about dust or saying oya is a bnha copy cat, those are dumb comments that are quickly turned since its based on ignorance and not reading the books, but there is no way of really defending this book

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    In recent pictures of Hickman, he looks stressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got no control over certain "woke" projects, and is starting to remember why he hates working for Marvel.
    pffff here we go
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

In recent pictures of Hickman, he looks stressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got no control over certain "woke" projects, and is starting to remember why he hates working for Marvel.
    y’all see an enby black writer and asian artist with a primarily POC-dominated cast and be like.... oh my god this is a woke project.

even if it turns out good whats the fucking point since no amount of requests has allowed the new x-men to get another shot at being a team and are instead getting scraps in some titles or as teen cable waifus.
    whats the difrence this time? that these 5 twerps will be given by the narrative the respect, conection and recognition the new x-men were worthy but never really got? once its cancelled they will all be ignored. There is no point in believing this will be any difrent
    Are you aware that almost no generation of x-students are in a book together? even in new mutants, it’s a blend of generations. this isn’t some personal slight against nxm or gen x or jgs fans. why are y’all so against something you simply do not have to buy? it’s a new concept for a new era and im sure vita isn’t banned from using established characters that can still pop up in the title. there wasn’t gonna be a new x-men book if CotA existed or not.

im disappointed too. and it’s especially weird that chris robinson is emphasizing the “new characters” aspect after hickman expressed that there is no need. but people constantly bashing the book are actually more harmful to the book than the CGers who don’t even read comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    pffff here we go
    He's already admitted he hates working for Marvel, so I doubt any has gotten better and the industry has continued its free fall.

Spectacular Member

He's already admitted he hates working for Marvel, so I doubt any has gotten better and the industry has continued its free fall.
    He also hand-picked the creative teams for the Dawn of X and has specifically praised Vita's work, so the conjecture that he's stressed about this book feels pretty far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    y’all see an enby black writer and asian artist with a primarily POC-dominated cast and be like.... oh my god this is a woke project.

Are you aware that almost no generation of x-students are in a book together? even in new mutants, it’s a blend of generations. this isn’t some personal slight against nxm or gen x or jgs fans. why are y’all so against something you simply do not have to buy? it’s a new concept for a new era and im sure vita isn’t banned from using established characters that can still pop up in the title. there wasn’t gonna be a new x-men book if CotA existed or not.

im disappointed too. and it’s especially weird that chris robinson is emphasizing the “new characters” aspect after hickman expressed that there is no need. but people constantly bashing the book are actually more harmful to the book than the CGers who don’t even read comics.
    1) Not necessarily. I just listened to the character descriptions and the stories pitched. Both CotA and New Warriors are woke af and lazy pandering. I'll try the former, for the art alone, and maybe be pleasantly surprised. Maybe.

2) The problem is that the industry is dying, and this isn't helping. Why introduce new kids and expect everyone to just immediately give Marvel the benefit of the doubt knowing their history? Even people getting others into comics will tell newcomers to ignore that book, because it won't matter in the long run. It's a book being put out to die; aka, wasted resources and talent.

People are loving the New Mutants book because it's actually using characters we were already invested in. At this point looking forward to new X-Kids book is like an abusive relationship (this is just an analogy; don't take this wording too seriously), so why give the abuser another chance when they've yet to change their ways?
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-22-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    He also hand-picked the creative teams for the Dawn of X and has specifically praised Vita's work, so the conjecture that he's stressed about this book feels pretty far off.
    I'm pretty sure he did pick her. I'm not blaming her, but their bosses. This book shouldn't exist at this time. Do a book with X-Kids we actually give a damn about, and introduce this kids in said book. If we show a liking to them, then maybe experiment with a mini. Also, put more thought into them rather than what we've seen. That's where I question whether, or not, Vita and Hickman really all that much input with this book. It's so far something very shallow and recycled.

Spectacular Member

Them. Vita's preferred pronouns are they/them.

I watched the video.....and this is basically a pointless book to read. Based on the sales pitch, that is the trailer, this title will provide little more than what previous next-gen X-Kids books did.

This is a major reason why the comic book industry is dying. Because these IPs always have to revert back to status quo, any growth via these new generations eventually gets tossed aside to make way for another generation for more recent audiences. Or because the new author wants their own toys.

NXM was the last one that was successful, yet they refuse to push them. You need to push things that will retain audiences during this time of failure for the industry, and stop spending money on so many unnecessary ancillary books with no backing.

This, IMO, should've been like a monthly manga: Hickman and 1-2 artists giving us a 40-50 issue every month, and that's it. Doing different stories and trickling in worldbuilding. Basically quality over quantity. That needs to be the new reality; the days of have 30-50 different titles is/should be over.

Instead we get the next log for the fire that is this industry.
    I have a better idea...why don't we do a character creation freeze for characters created after [insert year that any Sky Is Falling fan idolizes].

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I stated elsewhere what's wrong with COTA, and I'll just reiterate them here.

I mean, just to further contrast Children of the Atom with the New Mutants, consider that the actual New Mutants book that launched with Dawn of X has been beloved, praised for its light tone, the unique space adventure break from the usual mystical/horror, and the unique retro art. It's also been selling well and consistently, and in fact was the #1 book of November.

I think this

is more appealing than this

But hey, who am I to judge? Apparently, according to some people, comics like COTA are supposed to represent the new, "modern" tastes of the audience.

I think that the New Mutants comic above shows there's room for a book about a young superhero team that's actually treated as seriously as the others. Shame the characters themselves aren't new, and they think COTA is going to fill that void. I think when they see how horrible the sales are from the start, they'll bail ASAP.
    Those...are character descriptions garnered after 100s of issues after-the-fact. This book has not been released yet. Potential difference, there.

1) Not necessarily. I just listened to the character descriptions and the stories pitched. Both CotA and New Warriors are woke af and lazy pandering. I'll try the former, for the art alone, and maybe be pleasantly surprised. Maybe.
    The pitch is “what if X-Men had sidekicks who were major X-fans.” Please point out what is “woke af” or “pandering” about that.

2) The problem is that the industry is dying, and this isn't helping. Why introduce new kids and expect everyone to just immediately give Marvel the benefit of the doubt knowing their history? Even people getting others into comics will tell newcomers to ignore that book, because it won't matter in the long run. It's a book being put out to die; aka, wasted resources and talent.
    Sorry to the industry but Dawn of X is different.

People are loving the New Mutants book because it's actually using characters we were already invested in.
    If character investment was the only factor, then Age of X-Man would probably be a glaring outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I have a better idea...why don't we do a character creation freeze for characters created after [insert year that any Sky Is Falling fan idolizes].

Those...are character descriptions garnered after 100s of issues after-the-fact. This book has not been released yet. Potential difference, there.

That's not really a good argument. COTA is making a bad impression because:
    • They're just cheap copies of established X-Men. Literally, the entire premise is "take a white X-Man, change the race and/or sex". The New Mutants, from the beginning, were distinctive characters.
    • The way they're defined is by a characteristic that screams "we're still relevant, dammit!". Rather than trying to make them interesting, it's just "one has a TikTok, the other has an Instagram" and so on. You can argue "well, the book's not out yet!" all you like, but objectively the information we've been given hasn't been promising.
    • Their designs are generic, and utterly forgettable. Superheroes are popular in part because of their designs, which allows them to stand out among others. These look like the most throwaway Deviantart OCs ever, and that this is official just makes it more insulting.

As for those laconic descriptions, it was to prove you can describe them in a way that's brief yet captures the essence of the characters. The general idea, you know? If the selling point of COTA is "one has a TikTok, one has an Instagram" rather than actually telling us anything about the characters themselves, it tells me they're not good characters to begin with.

You know, if this was to capture the attention of "Zoomers" (weird term, I just use Gen Z), they should've first made them good characters that aren't cheap knock-offs of established ones, with aesthetically pleasing designs and cool power sets. Then they should've given them characteristics that match what's interesting to Gen Z, such as anime, EDM, Rick and Morty, fantasy like Game of Thrones and The Witcher, and social media (but in a way that isn't as dumb as this) that are part of them, but not the only thing that defines them.

I think Vita Ayala just wants to get a Netflix deal. I hope that person does, so Vita can leave comics forever. Their comics have been horrible and they've been getting jobs just for being a token hire. Everything I hear is just "I'm a queer black non-binary, hire me!". I've not heard a single good thing about Vita Ayala's work and I've tried reading it myself, just awful.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 03-22-2020 at 06:41 PM.

doubt this book will push more than 30K.. new titles like these are the reason i stopped reading my mutants

Ultimate Member

People are loving the New Mutants book because it's actually using characters we were already invested in. At this point looking forward to new X-Kids book is like an abusive relationship (this is just an analogy; don't take this wording too seriously), so why give the abuser another chance when they've yet to change their ways?
    GEEEEEE I heard that SAME thing said about Ms Marvel, Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl.

Ms Marvel was NOT expected to make issue 7.

How did that work out????

Those 3 count for 30+ trades. A New York Times Best Seller. 2 (almost 3) tv shows.

The industry is dying but not because of books like this or New Warriors.

It's dying because of books like Batman and even X-Men-books that leave PILES upon PILES of unsold books in stores. Along with non stop variant covers and crappy events.

The books that the Alt-Trolls NEVER see because they NEVER go to comic book stores.
    The books certain store owners don't mind collecting dust on the shelves while crying to Bleedingcool about 1-2 unsold copies of Moon Girl. A book like all books-they don't have to order because it has a Marvel logo on it.

pffff here we go
    Gee I heard Hickman left because he didn't want to be forced to work on books with minorities. Funny the books he did at Image featured POC. When folks have agendas they make up anything don't they?

Everything being done with X-Men is under Hickman's direction. If Vita is doing this book is because Hickman want THEM to do it.

I mean, just to further contrast Children of the Atom with the New Mutants, consider that the actual New Mutants book that launched with Dawn of X has been beloved, praised for its light tone, the unique space adventure break from the usual mystical/horror, and the unique retro art. It's also been selling well and consistently, and in fact was the #1 book of November.
    You mean the New Mutant book that is following a OGN, a 100 issue series, transformation into X-Force, members joining X-Men, Avengers & other teams, members being teachers of New X-Men Academy kids, Sunspot leading an Avenger team and have 37 years of being around. Not to mention being the birth book of DEADPOOL?

See all that happened to ensure that current series got to be number one. Because a TON of folks including legends made them what they are today.

How about letting COA stand on it's own?