Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Hank Azaria will no longer voice The Simpsons' Apu character

The show still hasn't made a decision whether Apu will no longer appear on the show or if they'll attempt to take the character in another direction so that he's no longer offensive to some viewers.

But Azaria confirms that he will no longer voice Apu.

https://www.cbr.com/simpsons-hank-azaria-retires-apu/

I guess my question is this: was there always outrage against the character and the show just ignored it or did Apu all of the sudden say or do something that caused all the fanfare? The show has been on forever and Apu has always been a part of it since season 1.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The show still hasn't made a decision whether Apu will no longer appear on the show or if they'll attempt to take the character in another direction so that he's no longer offensive to some viewers.

But Azaria confirms that he will no longer voice Apu.

https://www.cbr.com/simpsons-hank-azaria-retires-apu/

I guess my question is this: was there always outrage against the character and the show just ignored it or did Apu all of the sudden say or do something that caused all the fanfare? The show has been on forever and Apu has always been a part of it since season 1.
    The outrage grew from his portrayal as years passed. A documentary seemed to really add fuel to the fire of the character being done on Simpsons.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The outrage grew from his portrayal as years passed. A documentary seemed to really add fuel to the fire of the character being done on Simpsons.
    To Azaria's credit, even though the character was his bread and butter, he was pretty open to meeting with the comedian who made the documentary, Hari Kondabalu, meeting several times to talk about the issue. Likewise Kondabalu would come out of those talks complimenting Azaria as one of his comic heroes and a stand up guy who would really listen intently.

It's important to note that whatever online outrage on either side of that is, ultimately it's still a talk between two guys. And a continued exchange doesn't happen if it's just one side yelling at another. This was years in the making in part because what's at stake for Azaria isn't just (part of) a job, but a job that he loves and one that put him on the map. Azarianhad everything to gain by keeping Apu alive. The producers certainly have their incentive to do so. Yet he was willing to have a talk with a fan about how that character affected him and others like him.

Azaria could have easily defended the work -- he's certainly a top voice talent -- but he talked with an Indian man about an Indian portrayal. At the end of the day, it's about who you center in what you fight for, and Azaria paid attention to someone who was at that center, not speaking on his behalf. At the end of the day, the only ones who can talk about what is or isn't offensive are the people who are affected by that portrayal, positive or negative, and Azaria recognized that. After all, men can't/shouldn't tell women what's sexist against women, and tourists shouldn't tell foreign countries how to act.

Likewise, online beefs would have us think this is something petty or overly PC with the two of them too quick to anger, but from all indications even if the talks they had were probably difficult, it doesn't seem like it was dramatic, but rather a series of conversations between two adults that mean well. Neither of their goals come from a vacuum.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-20-2020 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    people have slowly evolved to consider the perspectives of people who aren't like them. or, at least, that's my speculation. a lot of things that were acceptable in the 90s aren't necessarily so, today. for instance, sexual harrassment used to be considered humorous and something that women (especially tv characters) should expect. gay males were also sight gags.

If he's not voicing Apu, then I hope they retire the character.

They’d never consider retiring a show that hasn’t been relevant for about two decades, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They’d never consider retiring a show that hasn’t been relevant for about two decades, of course.
    Retiring a supporting character isn't the same as retiring the show.

BANNED

Character is dated anyway.