Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

The funny thing about all of this is that he's no more a stereotype than Ned Flanders, Bumble Bee Man, Cletus, Willie, Fat Tony, and probably a dozen or so other regular and one off characters.

Frankly Apu is probably one of the more fleshed out supporting characters and is typically portrayed in a fairly positive light (more so than a lot of the other regulars). He's a family man who works hard and is not portrayed as being any dumber than any of the others.

Anyhow:

So if they get rid of Apu do they also get rid of Luigi, Bumble bee Man? Both are also stereotypes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    So if they get rid of Apu do they also get rid of Luigi, Bumble bee Man? Both are also stereotypes.
    Both aren't characters though, their one note jokes with no real storylines attatched to them

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Both aren't characters though, their one note jokes with no real storylines attatched to them
    So its okay to be a stereotype if they are not used often? If you get rid of one for being a stereotype you have to get rid of all of them no matter how little they are used.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Luigi I get, but isn't Bumblebee Man a parody of a specific celebrity? So I don't think he counts as a stereotype character any more than Rainier Wolfcastle does.

Extraordinary Member

My thoughts on the Simpsons has always been that they exaggerate human stupidity. Like in "Cape Fear" when Sideshow Bob rattles off something in German and a lady on the Parole Board says "no one who speaks German can be dangerous" and votes for his early release.

So the show just has a bunch of different characters who say and do stupid, silly things. Comedy is always going to offend people. But for those who think Apu should be gone, maybe at least he won't go the way of poor Maude Flanders.

If people have an issue with the likes of Ned Flanders, Willie and Fat Tony they should be free to talk about it. But bringing them up to shoot down complaints about Apu is pointless.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-01-2020 at 09:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If people have an issue with the likes of Ned Flanders, Willie and Fat Tony they should be free to talk about it. But bringing them up to shoot down complaints about Apu is pointless.

It is pointless to Point out that every character on the Show and not just Apu is a parody? Hey they made fun About my nationality for decades and I do not think me writing an article complaining About it would generate this Kind of reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    It is pointless to Point out that every character on the Show and not just Apu is a parody? Hey they made fun About my nationality for decades and I do not think me writing an article complaining About it would generate this Kind of reaction.
    Again, if you have an issue with one of the characters, fine. If not, also fine. But either way, saying other people shouldn't have an issue with one of the characters is pointless.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, if you have an issue with one of the characters, fine. If not, also fine. But either way, saying other people shouldn't have an issue with one of the characters is pointless.
    I did not say that they can not have a Problem with a character, but seeing that everyone is a parody on the Series the discussion is more than a Little reaching . If only Apu for example would be parodied and all the other characters were perfect it would be another Thing. And again if someone was saying the same About Flanders or other characters it would not gain this reaction.

Fantastic Member