Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,619

    Default So are we back to the Story/Anthology films?

    SOLO tanked but ROGUE ONE Is still well-regarded and the Mandalorian's popularity shows there's pretty much still an audience for stuff not really connected to the episodic films/Skywalker saga. Although Obi-Wan will no doubt tie into it.


    The possible next trilogies seem to be in a bit of limbo at the moment, but there are rumors that Feige and now Wahiti are now working on new Star Wars films, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of trilogies.


    So perhaps they're going for solitary films again? Granted, both ROGUE ONE and SOLO tied into the larger story of the other films, so perhaps a new project might do that or should it be more self-contained like Mandalorian?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I want alternative reality movies.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I want alternative reality movies.
    Why do we need those, when so many fans already live in them?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  4. #4
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,637

    Default

    I hope so. Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars film and I would love more movies like it. At this time I want to see more Star Wars on TV than film.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member basbash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Taunton, Mass, USA
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    SOLO tanked but ROGUE ONE Is still well-regarded and the Mandalorian's popularity shows there's pretty much still an audience for stuff not really connected to the episodic films/Skywalker saga. Although Obi-Wan will no doubt tie into it.


    The possible next trilogies seem to be in a bit of limbo at the moment, but there are rumors that Feige and now Wahiti are now working on new Star Wars films, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of trilogies.


    So perhaps they're going for solitary films again? Granted, both ROGUE ONE and SOLO tied into the larger story of the other films, so perhaps a new project might do that or should it be more self-contained like Mandalorian?
    I think that would be best. While they should feel free to do movies set anywhere in the star wars timeline, i think a few solo films set post-TROS that establish characters who are given enough breathing room for the audience to get to know and like them, and that don't have galaxy-level stakes, would be best. let the success of each film determine whether its worthy of a sequel rather than setting out to do trilogies from the get go.

    Also, later on, if they want they can have the characters from the separate films meet up to face a greater threat, avengers-style. after all, why not take a cue from marvel.

    But the main thing would be to focus on making great movies that aren't seemingly only about rehashing plot beats from the OT.... whether you like TROS or not, feels like we've done enough homages and shout-outs to the OT imo. And if they insist on doing another trilogy, have a cohesive vision for all three films this time around.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    SOLO tanked but ROGUE ONE Is still well-regarded and the Mandalorian's popularity shows there's pretty much still an audience for stuff not really connected to the episodic films/Skywalker Saga
    You mean The Disney Trilogy. The Skywalker Saga ended with Return Of The Jedi. So there is still an audience for stuff not really connected to the Disney Trilogy/Palpatine Trilogy
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  7. #7
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I want alternative reality movies.
    Probably not exactly what you're saying but I'd be more than up for Infinities to make a comeback. If What If? gets popular it would be worth it to have Disney and Lucasfilm do the same for Star wars.

    What if Darth Maul killed Obi-Wan instead?
    What if Anakin killed Palpatine instead of joining him (guarantying weird ramifications given the sequels)
    What if Order 66 failed?
    What if Vader became Emperor?

    I could totally see them doing something like this with short films on Disney+
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    They did a small amount of that-


    -The Darth Vader and the Lost Command comic had Vader having visions of an alternate timeline where he he helped Mace Windu instead of Palpatine. Padme becomes Supreme Chancellor and they have a son called Jinn.

    -There's an alternate ending to the ROTS video game where Anakin kills Obi-Wan and then kills Palpatine, making himself Emperor.

    -There's concept art for a cancelled Battlefront game that is pretty much Infinities: The game with all kinds of weird twists on characters.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    4,799

    Default

    I have to admit I would love something spinning out of the prequels where Dooku kills Palpatine and the CIS wins the Clone Wars, leading to different survivors of Jedi and the Skywalker family intact by the time of the original trilogy. But I agree that a Star Wars version of What If would be interesting for Disney Plus.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    One idea I thought would be interesting would be if Qui-Gon survived and trained Anakin, and perhaps it would be Obi-Wan who-perhaps feeling a bit abandoned-falls to the dark side.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    They did a small amount of that-


    -The Darth Vader and the Lost Command comic had Vader having visions of an alternate timeline where he he helped Mace Windu instead of Palpatine. Padme becomes Supreme Chancellor and they have a son called Jinn.

    -There's an alternate ending to the ROTS video game where Anakin kills Obi-Wan and then kills Palpatine, making himself Emperor.

    -There's concept art for a cancelled Battlefront game that is pretty much Infinities: The game with all kinds of weird twists on characters.
    There was also those old Dark Horse miniseries that did what ifs for each of the original movies (what if Luke missed the Death Star shot?, what if Luke died on Hoth before Han found him?, what if Leia's attempt to pass herself off as a bounty hunter to Jabba the Hutt went off the rails?).

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    One idea I thought would be interesting would be if Qui-Gon survived and trained Anakin, and perhaps it would be Obi-Wan who-perhaps feeling a bit abandoned-falls to the dark side.
    Remember seeing a fan-made RPG PDF guide for a campaign based on a similar idea; what if Obi-Wan was killed by Maul and Qui-Gon was the teacher, leading to different Clone Wars outcomes. Haven't been able to re-find it after initially seeing it, but, for all the major differences in characterization, it was a pretty decent, logical scenario for the path in question. Kinda recall that things did more or less sync into A New Hope, with a few minor retcons.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    That's an interesting idea as well. Obi-Wan was, for most of the time, a by-the-book Jedi while Qui-Gon seemed perhaps a bit more impulsive at times. Part of Anakin's frustration with Obi-Wan in AOTC stems from that-perhaps Qui-Gon would've allowed Anakin more leg room.


    Also I'm not sure if it's still canon but apparently one of the catalyst for Dooku leaving the Jedi and his subsequent fall to the dark side was Qui-Gon's death.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    That's an interesting idea as well. Obi-Wan was, for most of the time, a by-the-book Jedi while Qui-Gon seemed perhaps a bit more impulsive at times. Part of Anakin's frustration with Obi-Wan in AOTC stems from that-perhaps Qui-Gon would've allowed Anakin more leg room.
    Maybe. The movies do strongly suggest that Obi-Wan didn't do as good a job as he had wanted to as a teacher, irregardless of his intents and Anakin's ultimate responsibility for his fate.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also I'm not sure if it's still canon but apparently one of the catalyst for Dooku leaving the Jedi and his subsequent fall to the dark side was Qui-Gon's death.
    The Clone Wars: Lost Missions shows have him doing the Sith's bidding prior to the Phantom Menace (he arranged stuff under the original chancellor, thus before Qui-Gon's death) and the Master and Apprentice novel implies that he corrupted himself through other means.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  14. #14
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,637

    Default

    The Sith edition of the Force Unleashed had some cool what if scenario. The Starkiller would kill Vader and replace him as the emperor Apprentice and that led to all sorts of changes in the timeline like Leia becoming a Jedi instead of Luke.

  15. #15
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,667

    Default

    There will be an Episode X before you know it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •