Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Where are the Morlocks in this Hickman era?

With all these new books coming out and a much larger number of characters now being featured and written well, where are the Morlocks?

You'd think they'd be perfect for this era of the "minority" finally wining. A lot of people say that they don't like how there don't seem to be mutants against Krakoa, but I think Morlocks would be perfect.

For example, look at gay rights, it's been great for wealthy and pretty people but lots of the smaller groups got screwed, and are still not part of this "new and fair" world. I'd think the Morlocks would be great for that. The ones enjoying Krakoan freedoms seem to be the popular pretty ones. They could have the Morlocks stay back on earth after they feel they still get shunned in Krakoa for being "uncool" and "unattractive", and that a lot of this new mutant pride is bs if not everyone is welcomed. All I know is that I haven't seen any Morlocks in any of these damn orgies the mutants keep having!

I think the lack of Morlocks has been a HUGE mister from Hickman, and I bring it up now cause there are so many new books and yet no mention of them?

It seems Callisto is in an upcoming issue of MARAUDERS but is that confirmed? She's also wearing white, which might indicate to her being aligned with Emma? I love Emma, but Callisto should at least be secretly plotting against her if they're involved and I think Duggan may write her badly if she's here.

Any other Morlocks that have been spotted in other books?

Healer has been in X-Men and X-Force as one of Krakoa's main healers

Feral, Masque and Marrow have been spotted in various cameos

BANNED

Healer has a significant role as a sort of head nurse for the sick and wounded. I wonder how Masque would function on Krakoa. All those years of bitterness and strife in a dark sewer and now a tropical haven where you’re accepted and want for nothing.

BANNED

I'm hoping they'll show up prominently on X-Factor. A lot of them are dead, so it would be interesting to know which ones would rather come back looking better or would accept themselves for what they are. Or how the living Morlocks would react to that. Would make for an interesting discussion. Would the Morlocks be wrong for wanting to be born looking prettier? What's the implications of letting someone reincarnate as their ideal self or should they, and those around them, be taught to accept them as they are? And what right does anyone around them have to judge them for whatever they do? I'd love to see that on page.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    With all these new books coming out and a much larger number of characters now being featured and written well, where are the Morlocks?

You'd think they'd be perfect for this era of the "minority" finally wining. A lot of people say that they don't like how there don't seem to be mutants against Krakoa, but I think Morlocks would be perfect.

For example, look at gay rights, it's been great for wealthy and pretty people but lots of the smaller groups got screwed, and are still not part of this "new and fair" world. I'd think the Morlocks would be great for that. The ones enjoying Krakoan freedoms seem to be the popular pretty ones. They could have the Morlocks stay back on earth after they feel they still get shunned in Krakoa for being "uncool" and "unattractive", and that a lot of this new mutant pride is bs if not everyone is welcomed. All I know is that I haven't seen any Morlocks in any of these damn orgies the mutants keep having!

I think the lack of Morlocks has been a HUGE mister from Hickman, and I bring it up now cause there are so many new books and yet no mention of them?

It seems Callisto is in an upcoming issue of MARAUDERS but is that confirmed? She's also wearing white, which might indicate to her being aligned with Emma? I love Emma, but Callisto should at least be secretly plotting against her if they're involved and I think Duggan may write her badly if she's here.

Any other Morlocks that have been spotted in other books?
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I'm hoping they'll show up prominently on X-Factor. A lot of them are dead, so it would be interesting to know which ones would rather come back looking better or would accept themselves for what they are. Or how the living Morlocks would react to that. Would make for an interesting discussion. Would the Morlocks be wrong for wanting to be born looking prettier? What's the implications of letting someone reincarnate as their ideal self or should they, and those around them, be taught to accept them as they are? And what right does anyone around them have to judge them for whatever they do? I'd love to see that on page.
    Interesting points of discussion there. I think it would be a good opportunity to address that particular elephant in the room.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Letting someone resurrect as their ideal self might encourage living mutants to suicide so they can do the same. Like a radical cosmetic surgery. There’s also a meta reason against it because the characters need to be recognizable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Letting someone resurrect as their ideal self might encourage living mutants to suicide so they can do the same. Like a radical cosmetic surgery. There’s also a meta reason against it because the characters need to be recognizable.
    But it could be a new character too. Maybe the trans character that was mentioned?

I had forgotten about Healer but glad he's back. Any word on Leech?

They also could introduce new characters. I'd think new Morlocks would be more acceptable by the fanbases this day and age.

I think Hickman won't write mutants dissenting for a while. I think he thinks they need to be all so happy that he forgot not all are still. I'td also be interesting seeing a dead Morlock being brought back in their wrong body (let's say a villains fault). This is probably what FALLEN ANGELS should've been.

BANNED

The Morlocks’ insecurities stem from human standards of beauty and worth. An isolated mutant nation would develop their own ideals. Self-love encouraged and diversity celebrated.

Unless, mutants really are just humans with powers, then conventional beauty and high power levels would still be the ideal. I think that’s more interesting and realistic. Maybe down the line we’ll see more dysfunctional and vulnerable mutants unhappy with their lack of influence and representation on the quiet council. The gammas will revolt!

Mighty Member

The Morlocks’ insecurities stem from human standards of beauty and worth. An isolated mutant nation would develop their own ideals. Self-love encouraged and diversity celebrated.

Unless, mutants really are just humans with powers, then conventional beauty and high power levels would still be the ideal. I think that’s more interesting and realistic. Maybe down the line we’ll see more dysfunctional and vulnerable mutants unhappy with their lack of influence and representation on the quiet council. The gammas will revolt!
    I could also see cliques forming in Krakoa. It'd be fun seeing a few rebels making fun of the Emmas and the Scotts.

Bastards of the Atom: Mean Mutants!

Extraordinary Member

I'm actually sort of interested in Deadpool gor this reason. Because, sure, mutants don't have it great, but monsters have it generally pretty bad too. And the two groups often get lumped together. It's one thing if you're a vampire with connections or a high ranking demon, but for everyone else, it's open season.

And this is sort of where I find fault with Krakoa, because it's so pro-mutant but what happens to other non-muntant groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I'm actually sort of interested in Deadpool gor this reason. Because, sure, mutants don't have it great, but monsters have it generally pretty bad too. And the two groups often get lumped together. It's one thing if you're a vampire with connections or a high ranking demon, but for everyone else, it's open season.

And this is sort of where I find fault with Krakoa, because it's so pro-mutant but what happens to other non-muntant groups?
    Well, Krakoa was explicitly founded as a paradise and homeland for X-Gene bearing Homo Superior individuals. That's why Doop, for example, isn't considered a citizen. IIRC, I think the same applies to Danger as well. Krakoa is a mutant homeland. The monsters will simply have to create one for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post

Because this is not this kind of story: it is the birth of a nation.

America has been founded by people who were persecuted (not only, adventurers too) but all these people were rather alike, at the beginning. If they couln't stand each other, there was enough space to go further and founded their community the way they have imagined. It is the contrary of cosmopolitanism, the way most big countries are now, with the minorities, the expatriates… all that the result of history and ease of travel.
    It is a tabula rasa.

There is no reason to imagine that the mutants have prejudices that are different from the 'humans': they have been raised in human societies… When they discover that they are mutants and that they have powers, they are not thrilled, they see themselves like the 'humans' see them… at first, at least. Why would they have a sense of beauty that is different?
    Last edited by Zelena; 01-18-2020 at 03:46 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The Morlocks have gone through several versions;

at one point it was Masque altering mutants to look weird as a rejection of baseline humanity(sort of like being 'jumped into a gang'.

Then there was the idea that Dark Beast had been experimenting with some of his AoA techniques in the sewers under NYC, and that 616 Sinister ordered the[Marauders'] extermination of the Morlocks to end the AoA's influence on 616 genetics.

Then there is the idea that they are mutants who just happened to be weird looking and banded together because society at large rejected them.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post

Who cares? Krakoa is for mutants, period.

We have seen that some are in Krakoa and by the images of the holidays, mutants with radical physical alterations are accepted in Krakoa without prejudice.

Anyway, Callisto seems to be in Marauders so we can see more information.