Default Favorite era/supporting cast for Guy Gardner?

I've read a little Guy, but not a lot. What is your favorite era/writer/characterization for him? Location? Supporting cast?

I kind of like the idea of Guy/Tora, so the JLI has some merit but don't care for early post-COIE Guy (at least in JLI - not my type of humor) and didn't think he treated her well, and consequently have read little of him until 1993ish. He gets better later (it's some of the later stuff that makes me like them, even if she was dead for a lot of that). I did read part of his series and his chumminess with General Glory was fun in the one issue I saw. Or maybe hanging out in space training rookies for GL Corps? Going completely solo on earth or in space? Just the idea of the Vuldarian powers is a no-go to me, and I'm something of a fan of the traditional green ring. What'd you think of his space bar? Some fun stuff happened later with Jaime, too, though it was Jaime's comic, so I don't really know what was going on with Guy in is own story at the time.

I'm just curious as to if there is any sort of consensus (especially among Guy-fans) as to where he should live, how he should support himself, who he should hang out with (if anyone), and how he should behave.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

While I was not a fan of the Vuldarian powers I did love that book just because the writer Beau Smith just got Guy like few other writers ever did. He was handed a bad hand coming on with issue 20 right at the time Guy was losing his ring, but man he made the most of it. To me Smith is THE best writer when it comes to getting Guy's voice right. Beau did issues 20-44 and the Annuals. To me Guy is like the Ben Grimm (Thing) of the DCU. Everyone knows him and most like him even if they don't admit it.

While I was not a fan of the Vuldarian powers I did love that book just because the writer Beau Smith just got Guy like few other writers ever did. He was handed a bad hand coming on with issue 20 right at the time Guy was losing his ring, but man he made the most of it. To me Smith is THE best writer when it comes to getting Guy's voice right. Beau did issues 20-44 and the Annuals. To me Guy is like the Ben Grimm (Thing) of the DCU. Everyone knows him and most like him even if they don't admit it.
    Seems like I've heard before this was a really good Guy characterization. But I just can't make myself read the retconned-hybrid-alien thing. It's just a retcon too far for me. I can't get past the premise enough to even give it a chance.

BANNED

I would say Guy was at his peak in the late 80s and early 90s when written by Steve Englehart and Gerard Jones in Green Lantern titles and Giffen, Dematteis, and Jurgens in Justice League titles. Some people might prefer the more toned down version that Tomasi wrote post-Green Lantern: Rebirth, but I think Guy mattered more to the DCU and had a higher profile in the aforementioned earlier period, and that's when the Guy Gardner character really developed.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Gibbons and Tomasi runs were what made me love Guy Gardner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I would say Guy was at his peak in the late 80s and early 90s when written by Steve Englehart and Gerard Jones in Green Lantern titles and Giffen, Dematteis, and Jurgens in Justice League titles. Some people might prefer the more toned down version that Tomasi wrote post-Green Lantern: Rebirth, but I think Guy mattered more to the DCU and had a higher profile in the aforementioned earlier period, and that's when the Guy Gardner character really developed.
    I actually prefer the toned down, slightly (but only slightly!) more mellow Guy we had after the early 90's (I feel like it started with Marz maybe?), but I think you're entirely on point. The 80's-early 90's really seems to be when the idea of who Guy was got solidified and his profile was at its peak.

Though my favorite Guy story is probably Soule's Red Lanterns. I really wish they had let Guy stay in that role. I mean, I was watching Sons of Anarchy at the time so maybe that influenced me, but space biker Guy? Seems like the perfect "retirement" after he leaves the GLC. Lots of soldiers I know ended up in MC's and I could easily see Guy doing the same.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I actually liked Guy the most when he first came out of his coma and was a borderline psychopath. And by "like" I don't mean I liked him as a hero, I liked what he brought to the GLC and JL team dynamics. He was no hero, but was given a ring when the regular rules did not apply. It wouldn't have made sense for someone like that to hold onto a ring for long, so changing his character allowed him to stick around, but I find him a lot less entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I actually liked Guy the most when he first came out of his coma and was a borderline psychopath. And by "like" I don't mean I liked him as a hero, I liked what he brought to the GLC and JL team dynamics. He was no hero, but was given a ring when the regular rules did not apply. It wouldn't have made sense for someone like that to hold onto a ring for long, so changing his character allowed him to stick around, but I find him a lot less entertaining.
    Same. Guy’s characterization now is more like Big Jack Burton’s character in Big Trouble in Little China (just a tad more serious than Jack’s sometimes)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like Guy best as a foil to Hal Jordan.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Although it started a little earlier with Chuck Dixon, I fell in love with the character because of Beau Smith's writing.
    It was just the perfect take on the character, moving him away from the mindless thug, and finally to the straight talking, take no **** hero who fought for the little guy.
    Thankfully, other writers including Ron Marz, Judd Winick and Geoff Johns kept the ball rolling.

I would LOVE to see Beau take another swing with Guy now as a GL again.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

any run on green lantern corps with Guy in it is a huge treat

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I also loved the GL: Recharge mini series with Guy and Kyle paired up.
    Awesome stuff.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Same. Guy’s characterization now is more like Big Jack Burton’s character in Big Trouble in Little China (just a tad more serious than Jack’s sometimes)
    You know, I've never been able to place it, but bingo. That's exactly who he became.