Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    She was supposed to be Earth's Ambassador Extraordinary during her time as head of Alpha Flight
    That was before it was revealed that she is half-Kree. That mixed heritage introduced accusations of bias that disqualified her from the post now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    God, how many fictional nations are there, lol?
    Many. The most used are probably Wakanda, Latveria, Symkaria, (formerly) Genosha, Madripoor. Not to mention the non-human nations like Atlantis, Attilan, Krakoa,
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categ...onal_Countries
    Last edited by mugiwara; 10-17-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Astonishing Member

Symkaria, Asgard, Sin Cong, Madripoor, Trans Sabal

Niffleheim

I just finished reading the epic-ness of Cates' run on GOTG, So what happened? Why didn't he continue writing the book? Were the numbers that bad?

Venom happened, and the lead up to King in Black. Similar to why Spencer's Ant-Man ended prior to Secret Empire, an event set up by his Captain America books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Venom happened, and the lead up to King in Black. Similar to why Spencer's Ant-Man ended prior to Secret Empire, an event set up by his Captain America books.
    wow! that sucks, thanks for the prompt response. Now i have to lower my expectation or be disappointed if i don't like Ewing's GOTG

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I just finished reading the epic-ness of Cates' run on GOTG, So what happened? Why didn't he continue writing the book? Were the numbers that bad?
    I think Cates got the Thor gig?

He has spoken publicly that he didn’t really write team books well. Maybe he left of his own accord? Or Ewing’s pitch was too good and he seemed a better fit & they smoothed it over by giving Cates Thor.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think Cates got the Thor gig?
    I wrote him off after his writing for Inhumans and promised myself never to follow any of his books but boredom cured me of that lol! i will give his Thor a chance now

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

He has spoken publicly that he didn’t really write team books well. Maybe he left of his own accord? Or Ewing’s pitch was too good and he seemed a better fit & they smoothed it over by giving Cates Thor.

I didn't like Cates' Inhumans so i agree with him about him writing team books BUT his GOTG run was more chaotic, kinetic and still brought different factions together without it feeling clunky and contrived. "Where is the Avengers?" question didn't even cross my mind i was just wowed from beginning to end in how he handled marvel cosmic. I have read all GOTG runs and i don't remember them as much as the last two arcs by Cates. (maybe it is because my favorite villains were featured in both arcs lol)
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-18-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'm pretty sure that from the start it was supposed to be a fill-in before Ewing took over.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    I'm pretty sure that from the start it was supposed to be a fill-in before Ewing took over.
    Well then they should have kept Cates as the writer because after reading the first few issues of Ewing's run i was underwhelmed. The only interesting thing i'm finding is the Dark Olympians as villains and the Prince of Power being a butt of a joke lol
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I don’t think Cates was forced off the book. He had a pretty packed schedule when the chance to write Thor came along and for him it was too big an opportunity to turn down. He had to drop something and it was never going to be Venom.

I really liked Cates GotG. For me it was miles ahead of Bendis and Duggan’s efforts and it’s a shame it wasn’t a lengthy run. That said, Ewing has had a great start. He took that baton and he’s just run with it. Really excited for the future of the book.

Avengers: No Road Home #10 teased Ewing's GotG and that came out on the same day as Cates's fourth issue. And that was a weekly, so it certainly was planned far ahead, it was almost certainly already scripted before Cates's #1 even hit the stands. Then in annual after the sixth issue, there was another tease from Ewing in his story. So definitely it was planned from the beginning to be like this. Ewing could finish his other projects, and start GotG in a way where the first TPB introduces the team and ends before Empyre and the second features new space politics (there was probably more space to breathe for it originally before King in Black tie-in, but alas, Corona). Cates's had a second book to write before Aaron was finished with Thor and he could take over.

Honestly, I think the run sucked, felt like Cates was half-assing it (not that his not half-assed books aren't free of flaws). The sole bright spot was getting Peter closer to his pre-Bendis personality, continuing with Bendis's dumb Peter was probably the biggest flaw of Duggan's run.

I suspect that originally there might've been some plans for Duggan to continue after Infinity Wars (there were a lot of unsolved plot-points after all), but perhaps due to sales, perhaps due to Duggan not wanting to go with it after the obvious meddling, they decided to change the plan.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Final Gauntlet wasn’t bad but the Faithless arc wasn’t good, IMO.
    Too much noise with very little character right up until the end.

Ewing is doing a good job at the moment, and think once he’s done laying the groundwork it’ll go up another 5 notches.

Don't think this was ever posted: preview for #7!