BANNED

Default What will happen with Martian Manhunter after Snyder´s Justice League?

Am I the only one worried about the Martian? Because Venditti recently said his story doesn´t need Martian Manhunter, solicits don´t mention him, he doesn´t appear on covers only variant covers, nothing from Hawkgirl too, but the roster is almost the same, only without MMH, Hawkgirl and Cyborg. Venditti´s roster: Trinity + Flash and John Stewart + guests I think as Madame Xanadu.

His maxi series ends this January, so... if Venditti doesn´t want to use him, there will be at least a new Martian Manhunter regular series or someone plans use him in some new group or something?

For me, Justice League without Martian Manhunter isn´t really Justice League, indeed JL series I dislike the most has been the ones without him, as JL New 52! or JL Rebirth 2016 pre Snyder´s JL.

I don't think he's going to fade into the background like he did before, or replaced by Cyborg again.

Heck, he might survive into 5G given J'onn's constitution.

BANNED

I mean if they didn't have plans for him they wouldn't have brought him back to life from Lex's body

BANNED

Personally he’s done nothing for me in the JL book. The whole chairman thing felt forced after No Justice. I also don’t like the idea of Batman constantly nominating people for roles and then just getting it like that. The whole power structure concept I’m not keen on.

I always though J’onn was supposed to be older then everyone? But he’s conveniently Luthor’s age, and can conveniently reproduce even though we’ve see him naked before. No idea how that works

The only time I really enjoyed him Post-Flashpoint was at the start of his own series, and some of the stuff Johns teased at in his JL run

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Personally he’s done nothing for me in the JL book. The whole chairman thing felt forced after No Justice. I also don’t like the idea of Batman constantly nominating people for roles and then just getting it like that. The whole power structure concept I’m not keen on.

I always though J’onn was supposed to be older then everyone? But he’s conveniently Luthor’s age, and can conveniently reproduce even though we’ve see him naked before. No idea how that works

The only time I really enjoyed him Post-Flashpoint was at the start of his own series, and some of the stuff Johns teased at in his JL run
    I like J'onn as Chairman. It feels overdue, at least going by League history and not the New 52.

I don't get the point about him reproducing? Him having kids was part of his origin when his family was killed by the White Martians.

Hopefull we'll be part of the Justice Society

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hopefully something interesting. Snyder has mostly used J'onn to tell other people's stories (Kendra, Lex and Shane). If he's to be a focus, let's develop him and not attach him to Lex.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like J'onn as Chairman. It feels overdue, at least going by League history and not the New 52.

I don't get the point about him reproducing? Him having kids was part of his origin when his family was killed by the White Martians.
    The kid thing is just a gripe. It’s another thing that puts me off about J’onn. I don’t even like it in fiction to be honest, at all, that aliens just so happen to always be able to reproduce with humans. It just feels “convenient” which is how I’d describe Snyder’s run on the JL book. A lot of the stuff he did to me was more “just convenient” then grabbing an actual reaction. That whole Lex/J’onn thing that was played really heavily in his run being a big example of that. Snyder is a good writer but he tends to have a lot of moments like that in his writing where everything just conveniently gets tied together and connected when it doesn’t have to be. I feel like it just cheapens the story. I didn’t like it when Hitch did it either in his JL runs

I don’t dislike the character but I’m pretty indifferent to him. I don’t think he’s the soul or heart of the league either. I think the League would do fine whether he’s on it or not.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 01-18-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Mighty Member

I did like in Dr. Who where humans were basically described as intergalactic space sluts. No alien is safe.

BANNED

I’ve never seen the Dr. Who show but he sounds very observant

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The kid thing is just a gripe. It’s another thing that puts me off about J’onn. I don’t even like it in fiction to be honest, at all, that aliens just so happen to always be able to reproduce with humans. It just feels “convenient” which is how I’d describe Snyder’s run on the JL book. A lot of the stuff he did to me was more “just convenient” then grabbing an actual reaction. That whole Lex/J’onn thing that was played really heavily in his run being a big example of that. Snyder is a good writer but he tends to have a lot of moments like that in his writing where everything just conveniently gets tied together and connected when it doesn’t have to be. I feel like it just cheapens the story. I didn’t like it when Hitch did it either in his JL runs

I don’t dislike the character but I’m pretty indifferent to him. I don’t think he’s the soul or heart of the league either. I think the League would do fine whether he’s on it or not.
    For what it's worth I don't really care for the J'onn/Kendra thing either, but I believe he's a staple of the League (or at least he should be).

J'onn as the heart or soul of the League makes sense because of his telepathy, empathy and developing yet high emotional intelligence, it's what separates him from being just "Green Superman with a fire allergy". I just don't think Snyder handled that angle, and by extension J'onn himself, as well as he should have on Justice League. I think he'll stay on the League for a while, I just hope the next writer can expand on J'onn's role as chairman and his ability to connect with people more thoroughly.

That being said, I would like them to take J'onn cosmic. I think DC needs to start expanding their cosmic landscape OUTSIDE of just the Green Lanterns. For all of Snyder's faults, he went up to the DC cosmology and said "buss it open for a real one" and left room for new sectors, elements, and general story potential in space; plus he left a gap in time where J'onn was in space adventuring anyway. they should give J'onn a small supporting cast of smaller flawed but agreeable characters, chuck them in the vast unknown parts of space, pay with some lovecraftian/kirbyian/Silver Surfer: Black cosmic weirdness, and see what happens with a legitimately ambitious creative team.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-18-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

To add a groan inducing analogy, Martian Manhunter is like Big Boi of Outkast. He may not be the most popular member, but he is absolutely essential to that group, and if he's not there, the whole thing sort of falls apart.

Also, about martians and human reproducing, if a Kryptonian and a human can get it on and not have the human ripped apart like Kleenex, I don't see why that can't be the case for a martian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    To add a groan inducing analogy, Martian Manhunter is like Big Boi of Outkast. He may not be the most popular member, but he is absolutely essential to that group, and if he's not there, the whole thing sort of falls apart.

Also, about martians and human reproducing, if a Kryptonian and a human can get it on and not have the human ripped apart like Kleenex, I don't see why that can't be the case for a martian.
    It has nothing to do with physicals, for all we know Superman wears a red sun ring when he gets busy. But We’ve seen Martians naked, we know they aren’t built like humans unless for the strange reason they have sperm and a egg in their body that’s compatible with humans. Otherwise J’onn has a level of matter manipulation or reality warping that he can add elements such as sperm cells to his composition. If that’s the case logically he should be able to change his body to any alien race and carry the same characteristics. He could be a kryptonian if he wanted and have the same powers of alter it and mix it with other races if he had that ability

The OutKast mention is nice and all but we’ve see The Justice League operate fine without Martian Manhunter. OutKast without BigBoi is just Andre as a sole artist. It’s definitely not the same thing. I’d argue if someone mentions OutKast BigBoi comes up in the conversation ASAP Ferg “If Rocky spit like Andre I’m gonna kill’ em like Big Boi” Whereas you can have a conversation about the JL and J’onn doesn’t have to come up
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 01-19-2020 at 05:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For what it's worth I don't really care for the J'onn/Kendra thing either, but I believe he's a staple of the League (or at least he should be).
    The Lex thing honestly bothered me, but I guess it’s to make the oldest person on the League Diana. Atleast in my headcannon J’onn was older than all the main members of the Justice League. The Lex thing just comes off more convenient coincidence. The Kendra thing, their both on the League so shipping them is whatever. It was less predictable then Kendra/Stewart I’ll give him that.