Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Lol, he’s trying to tell X-fans to not be obnoxious. That’s all X-fans know how to do :x

An uphill battle.
    I feel you but let's retire that joke. Then let's collectively grow up and learn how so we can rest assured we're better than Star Wars fans (albeit more the progressive version).

They're actually taking the x-books seriously again. They deserve that (and no I don't like all the books and Hickman was a dick to me in person, so I'm not a fan but I am very, very grateful he allowed me to be into x-books again).

The x-men evolved, thank the Dark Lords. Let's evolve with them.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Complaining about complaint threads is stupid. In order to read them, you have to manually click on them. Voluntary participation, 100%. "'Drat! A fellow frequenter of this board has opined in a manner I find disagreeable! As such, I shall harangue his beliefs and call into question his character and intellect! Have no fear that my spiticeous lack of decorum will in any way contribute to the unhappy and quarrelsome state of this board, for I am in the right! Now harden your resolve and sally forth, lads! Victory awaits those who extoll their manly exhuberance! Doubt not the cause, less ye be thought a girl!*"

*Sorry. It's not authentic sounding Victorian without any pointless sexism!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Hickman's very much right to make these comments.

On the other constant note... I think the current X-books contain intentionally questionable activities specifically written to make the readers think about the actions the mutants are taking. The fact that some people on this board accept and revel in these questionable activities without question is giving me great cause for pause. If some people aren't seeing anything wrong and are enjoying the books, OK. If you're seeing things that are problematic/questionable but you're still enjoying the books, OK, too. There's room for dialogue and discourse, not being shut down and canceled because you don't agree that the mutants are wonderful now and doing everything right. Also there's almost certainly no way Hickman is writing this as the be-all and end-all of what the X-Men & mutants in general are and will always be from now on.
    I agree. On this board (and to a degree on twitter too) the opposite is the bigger problem of what Hickman is referring to.

There is a big group of fans who just blindly worship all things Krakoa and any questioning or criticism is just HATED ON. Like I get it, it's annoying when "the same thread" is made but honestly there is a LOT of weird stuff going on in this status quo and it's bananas that folks want to sweep it all under the rug or lump any and all questions/critiques together and dismiss it all.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I agree. On this board (and to a degree on twitter too) the opposite is the bigger problem of what Hickman is referring to.

There is a big group of fans who just blindly worship all things Krakoa and any questioning or criticism is just HATED ON. Like I get it, it's annoying when "the same thread" is made but honestly there is a LOT of weird stuff going on in this status quo and it's bananas that folks want to sweep it all under the rug or lump any and all questions/critiques together and dismiss it all.
    Embrace the flowers. Enter the gate.

"Marvel's heavily promoting X-Men after a decade of trying to undermine it, everything they're doing now is perfect."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Maybe I'm just viewing things differently because I don't see it. Just a week ago we had about half a dozen threads dedicated to complaints and concerns about Krakoa and most of us participated in them. The mods even combined two of the threads because they were repetitive. The threads stayed on the front page for a while because they were hearty conversations. I didn't see anyone get dismissed but that's just my perspective.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Maybe I'm just viewing things differently because I don't see it. Just a week ago we had about half a dozen threads dedicated to complaints and concerns about Krakoa and most of us participated in them. The mods even combined two of the threads because they were repetitive. The threads stayed on the front page for a while because they were hearty conversations. I didn't see anyone get dismissed but that's just my perspective.
    Yeah exactly. No one is shutting those threads down, deleting post, or ignoring them. Both sides have been actively engaging in discussion...it's just that the oversaturation of multiple threads with the same talking points can get a bit tiring. I actually appreciate Dominos method of posing the questions in a way that helps promote discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Yeah exactly. No one is shutting those threads down, deleting post, or ignoring them. Both sides have been actively engaging in discussion...it's just that the oversaturation of multiple threads with the same talking points can get a bit tiring. I actually appreciate Dominos method of posing the questions in a way that helps promote discussion.
    Agreed. Domino-D-D tried to tighten things up and it resulted in some great posts by all sides. Look at us praising a poster that doesn't agree with the current status quo. Wild, huh?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

IKR!? Shocking.
    That said... HiX-Man is 100% right.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

I'm not even in the "all of this is awful" camp and find the "everything Hickman/mutants do is 100% right" stuff goofy.

Absconding from critical thinking is lame, y'all. Liking something doesn't necessarily mean revering it as god.

Religion and nationalism are corny.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    "Marvel's heavily promoting X-Men after a decade of trying to undermine it, everything they're doing now is perfect."
    No wonder fans are so defensiv , this is the biggest chance the franchise got after Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Thing is, not everyone agrees its so refuted. Its just your interpretation as it is their.
    Not everyone agrees but panels are panels and words are words. Things like “fascist” have concise definitions that something can either be checked “no” or “yes” on. I understand that everyone interprets things different and there is much to debate about involving Hickman’s run, but to really think he says there and thought: “yeah you know what I’m gonna do with this new era? Make the X-Men fascist, genocidal separatists who want to murder every single human.” is astoundingly off base.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    not being shut down and canceled because you don't agree that the mutants are wonderful now and doing everything right.
    Bro that’s happening to absolutely no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Absconding from critical thinking is lame, y'all. Liking something doesn't necessarily mean revering it as god.

Saying that stuff in a vacuum is... dumb, not gonna sugarcoat it. There are specific reasons that religion can seem destructive or nationalism can promote toxic ways of thinking. Just those concepts on their own arent “corny.” Actually delving into why those very abstract ideas can be used to help cultivate marginalized identity vs when they can be used to uphold systems of oppression is the exact type of critical thinking you brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I'm not even in the "all of this is awful" camp and find the "everything Hickman/mutants do is 100% right" stuff goofy.

So the people that like the status quo, the majority here according to the polls, are absconding from critical thinking. Got it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Not everyone agrees but panels are panels and words are words. Things like “fascist” have concise definitions that something can either be checked “no” or “yes” on. I understand that everyone interprets things different and there is much to debate about involving Hickman’s run, but to really think he says there and thought: “yeah you know what I’m gonna do with this new era? Make the X-Men fascist, genocidal separatists who want to murder every single human.” is astoundingly off base.

Bro that’s happening to absolutely no one.

Saying that stuff in a vacuum is... dumb, not gonna sugarcoat it. There are specific reasons that religion can seem destructive or nationalism can promote toxic ways of thinking. Just those concepts on their own arent “corny.” Actually delving into why those very abstract ideas can be used to help cultivate marginalized identity vs when they can be used to uphold systems of oppression is the exact type of critical thinking you brought up.
    The reality is that you don't need religion or nationalism to find connection with people. Having ideals is GREAT. Feeling the need to hold yourself, or god forbid others, to unquestioned dogma or statism is...dumb.

Ex: You can want mutants to have their own place to be and yet not have any love for Krakoa itself or its government. If I for instance, want to harp on Krakoa for going after the F4 if they deserved to be harped on, so be it. It's the idea of community that is needed, not a devotion to or unwavering support of the state.

It's like Americans who feel the need to say America is always on the up-and-up: pure nationalism and nothing to do with actual community or respect for the people who live here.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-18-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I just want to say, even if I think this whole Krakoa thing is creepy and weird, I'm having fun. These books are fun.