Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    But Skyvolt, a bunch of extraneous (X-traneous) x-titles alongside a divided fanbase is a glorious return to the 90's!
    This is true. I can only imagine what CBR would have been like back then when X-Men #1 rocketed the franchise to the sun.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But he took the job.

Now we have 13-15 X-Men flooding the market. With folks falling into these slots-

1) I want to read all them but my BUDGET won't let me. This is the main complaint I hear. It's too many books at once.
    Store owners who screamed over 1-2 unsold copies of Squirrel Girl or Moon Girl now have 5-15 unsold piles of X-Men books. With fans citing budget.

2) Readers are not happy with what they are seeing-13-15 X-Men books is not a green light to showcase 5-6 of the same folks. Who have forever hogged the spotlight while back grounding folks who found better success OUTSIDE X-Men (Sunspot & Storm).
    Or seeing new folks pop up (Vita's book) when old favorites are still looking for a home (SYNCH).

3) Readers who question the story-we seen complaint threads here. Folks do not want to read about Nazi X-Men especially after the backlash of "being too political" Ms Marvel that set after a nasty reaction to books with POC, females & Inhumans as the leads.

What he is saying is you don't have to buy every book unless there is a reason (crossover) for it.

Now he did make comic book store owners mad by saying that but it's a reality. Nobody should have to buy books that they are not interested in under the guise of having to do it.

I am sure Marvel didn't like it either. Because how many folks lose their books for those slots like Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl?

If he was going to do this much world building-maybe different formats should have been done.

Couldn't Vita's book be a OGN? What about Leah's?

This is an quantity not quality issue.
    13-15 simultaneous books is about what X-Men had prior to Marvel cutting them in half around Inhumanity. So the numbers are "back up" to what they were before.

That aside, there's nothing truly new in this. And the fact some essential elements are missing with various characters (whether their lack of presence or key character moments being ignored) kinda undercuts anything that's happening right now. Why read the books of today when pivotal character moments of the past are treated like they never happened?
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I’m pretty sure the same amount of books are coming o it month to month, now it’s just spread throughout different titles. Beforehand, we were getting books doubl and triple shipping. Now we’re getting all these books monthly, divided by four and sometimes five weeks...

pffffffft it isn’t just “bad history”, there’s actively bad stuff happening now because the history is never properly addressed and dealt with. so pray tell, what are those good aspects are???
    Ha! Only a nation this devoted to individual exceptionalism could have allowed such a dangerously unqualified person to become President. We don't descriminate on the basis of megalomania.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    13-15 simultaneous books is about what X-Men had prior to Marvel cutting them in half around Inhumanity. So the numbers are "back up" to what they were before.

That aside, there's nothing truly new in this. And the fact some essential elements are missing with various characters (whether their lack of presence or key character moments being ignored) kinda undercuts anything that's happening right now. Why read the books of today when pivotal character moments of the past are treated like they never happened?
    ignoring characters continuity can be vry alienating.

I don't think ther was 13-16 books befor the inhumans push. it was less

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I think one problem is that someone, either Hickman or someone above him, wants a recognizable/old school name as the flagship artist and they just grabbed Yu to go with it. Coipel is busy drawing penises for Instagram, McNiven can't do two issues in a row, Cassaday is on the same level as Yu currently, Cheung is at DC, Immonen retired, Bachalo is doing Deadpool. They should have picked Larraz, but I'm guessing he's doing the upcoming Moira book or one of the Giant Size issues. Or Dauterman, God help me. Here's hoping they wake up and get one of these two (or Silva/Caselli) later this year.
    what?
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-18-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Fallen Angels seems to be over for good, Giant-Size is a series of oneshots, that will have only 5 issues anyways, X/F4 is just a mini. The only actual ongoings, that are going to be releasing together are:

X-Men
    X-Force
    Marauders
    Excalibur
    New Mutants
    Wolverine
    Hellions
    Cable
    X-Factor
    Children of the Atom

That's 10 books, 12 with X-Corp and the Moira book if they're also ongoings. 3 of them are solos that people who don't care about the main character don't have to bother with(though more like 2 as I assume people will want to read Moira's for the lore). I don't think it's too much.

While I think Hickman's posts are a degree impractical (no way any publishing plan will please every single fan), the spirit of the intent is the best possible one for something like this.

I also agree that I'm kinda sick of threads devolving into arguments over the new status quo, which seem to just rehash the same complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Fallen Angels seems to be over for good, Giant-Size is a series of oneshots, that will have only 5 issues anyways, X/F4 is just a mini. The only actual ongoings, that are going to be releasing together are:

X-Men
    X-Force
    Marauders
    Excalibur
    New Mutants
    Wolverine
    Hellions
    Cable
    X-Factor
    Children of the Atom

That's 10 books, 12 with X-Corp and the Moira book if they're also ongoings. 3 of them are solos that people who don't care about the main character don't have to bother with(though more like 2 as I assume people will want to read Moira's for the lore). I don't think it's too much.
    Which one has x-23 in it (if any). (Not having the easiest time sifting through stuff.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    3 of them are solos that people who don't care about the main character don't have to bother with(though more like 2 as I assume people will want to read Moira's for the lore). I don't think it's too much.
    I'm not too sure on that one. There's also supporting cast to take into consideration. Say you want to read about Pixie, you're stuck with Cable. And as we've seen in the past, asking about getting supporting cast elsewhere or even their own time in the spotlight will just get "You can read about them in this other book!"

Funny enough, looks like Sage might be guest-starring in Wolverine perhaps regularly.

https://i.postimg.cc/pLvKBXz2/807559...63160351-n.jpg
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Is it really even Marvel unless we have too many X-books? Do we really want to live in a world with only five releasing a month?

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

I think its worth noting for those complaining about too many books, that with with the exception of characters in solo's and X-Men (as its a giant team up book) and the odd guest appearance there isn't much character overlap in the ongoings. Also each of the books seems to have an actual unique purpose in the line (each is doing something different).

X-Men - Cyclops + guest stars
    X-Force - Jean, Wolverine, Beast, Domino, QQ, Black Tom, Sage
    Marauders - Kate, Storm, Ice Man, Pyro, Bishop, Emma
    Excalibur - Betsy, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Apocalypse, Richtor
    New Mutants - Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Karma, Mondo, Chamber
    -New Mutants B Team - Glob, Armor, Boom Boom, Maxime, Manon
    Wolverine - Wolverine, supporting cast tbd
    Hellions - Sinister, Kwannon, Havok, Empath, Nanny, Orphan-Maker, Scalphunter, and Wild Child
    Cable - Wifi, Pixie, Armor, Celeste, Esme, Mindee, Phoebe, and Sophie
    X-Factor - Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-Boy, Daken, and Prestige
    Children of the Atom - unknown

Unless I'm missing something the only overlap is Wolverine and Armor and we don't know how significantly Armor will feature. Meanwhile the bolded are characters that haven't featured or have seen significant use in an X-Men book in a while (or ever). 10 ongoings with little to no characters overlapping with each book using at least one underused, unused character, each book with a unique identity and mission sounds like something the board has been clamoring for forever.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 01-19-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I just want to say, even if I think this whole Krakoa thing is creepy and weird, I'm having fun. These books are fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    We have a winner.
    I agree entirely. It's strange and new, and that's enjoyable but not free from criticism and skepticism.

Re: the art... Yes, Coipel's posting beautiful male nude studies on IG.

I'm really disappointed that genuinely awesome artists haven't been dragged kicking and screaming onto the X-books. Kim Jacinto, Sean Izaakse, Jorge Molina, Ken Lashley, Marco Checchetto, Paco Medina, Stefano Caselli... Just listing some of my favourite artists currently who have done exceptional work for Marvel recently, and who should be on high profile X-books now that the mutants are in favour again. And not having Russell Dauterman on a book featuring Jean [his fave character] permanently is a crime which I hope is in the process of being rectified after his GSXM issue.
    Pre-HoX/PoX, two of my favourite runs in recent Marvel history in terms of story and art are Avengers: No Surrender and No Road Home. The X-Men should be giving me top notch art along with innovative story. Some of the artists are good, esp. the wonderful Joshua Cassara, but most are just meh. Art is subjective, I know, but that's my subjective take on it.

Edit: At least we're getting Mahmud Asrar [for an issue?].
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-18-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I think its worth noting for those complaining about too many books, that with with the exception of characters in solo's and X-Men (as its a giant team up book) and the odd guest appearance there isn't much character overlap in the ongoings. Also each of the books seems to have an actual unique purpose in the line (each is doing something different).

X-Men - Cyclops + guest stars
    X-Force - Jean, Wolverine, Beast, Domino, QQ, Black Tom, Sage
    Marauders - Kate, Storm, Ice Man, Pyro, Bishop, Emma
    New Mutants - Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Cypher, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Karma, Mondo, Chamber
    -New Mutants B Team - Glob, Armor, Boom Boom, Maxime, Manon
    Wolverine - Wolverine, supporting cast tbd
    Hellions - Sinister, Kwannon, Havok, Empath, Nanny, Orphan-Maker, Scalphunter, and Wild Child
    Cable - Wifi, Pixie, Armor, Celeste, Esme, Mindee, Phoebe, and Sophie
    X-Factor - Northstar, Polaris, Prodigy, Eye-Boy, Daken, and Prestige
    Children of the Atom - unknown

Unless I'm missing something the only overlap is Wolverine and Armor and we don't know how significantly Armor will feature. Meanwhile the bolded are characters that haven't featured or have seen significant use in an X-Men book in while (or ever). 10 ongoings with little to no characters overlapping with each book using at least one underused, unused character, each book with a unique identity and mission sounds like something the board has been clamoring for forever.
    Thanks for highlighting this. There really is something for everyone, and niche characters are being given time to shine. We really need less new titles and one X-Men Unlimited title that has at least two stories in each issue featuring different characters or teams in one shots or short arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post

I'm really disappointed that genuinely awesome artists haven't been dragged kicking and screaming onto the X-books. Kim Jacinto, Sean Izaakse, Jorge Molina, Ken Lashley, Marco Checchetto, Paco Medina, Stefano Caselli... Just listing some of my favourite artists currently who have done exceptional work for Marvel recently, and who should be on high profile X-books now that the mutants are in favour again. And not having Russell Dauterman on a book featuring Jean [his fave character] permanently is a crime which I hope is in the process of being rectified after his GSXM issue.
    Pre-HoX/PoX, two of my favourite runs in recent Marvel history in terms of story and art are Avengers: No Surrender and No Road Home. The X-Men should be giving me top notch art along with innovative story. Some of the artists are good, esp. the wonderful Joshua Cassara, but most are just meh. Art is subjective, I know, but that's my subjective take on it.
    Avengers stole "were getting the best artist thing from the X-men" so it is going to be awhile before the priority switches back. The art except for Fallen angels and X-men has actually been pretty good all around on books. The art on X-men isn't even bad, It is just coming off Laraz/Silva and they are amazing. Yu shouldn't have been the first artist on the X-men and honestly since Hickman seems to be telling single stories they could have gone 1 ofs with artists. But all will be forgiven if the lock up Silva, Larraz or Dauterman for the X-men heck put them all on the X-men in rotation, with Yu fill in someone is late.

Mighty Member

I think Hickman is contradicting himself by saying "don't buy what you don't like".

The original New Mutants fans are buying what they don't like when Ed Brisson highlights Glob and gang in the same title. They should separate the two teams with two titles so that fans can buy what they like in their own title.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post

Wolfsbane and Rictor have been featured quite prominently in past issues of X-Factor and X-Force.