Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

The butterfly signature has nothing to do with Kwannon. It was Betsy's pre swap and should've been hers till now.
    Kwannon never had the butterfly sig until now.

I think Fallen Angels was a miss opportunity. It's trying.. but Marvel trying too hard to keep the Psylocke brand stick to Kwannon hindered it IMO.
    I appreciate some of Kwannon's added back story, but still fail to make Kwannon has her own identity. It just seems that Kwannon trying to fill in Betsy's previous role as Psylocke. Even her role in Hellion suited better for Betsy. There's no way Scott trust her with his brother. Kwannon should be one of those wildcards.. the mysterious ones.

Kwannon's "relationship" with Laura seemed forced. It'd fit much better with Betsy. I get that Kwannon felt to connect more with the "outliers", but Laura and Kid Cable just doens't feel like outliers enough. I think she'll fit more with the more "grey area" mutants, eg Sinister. Her interaction with Sinister was the best thing came out of FA IMO.

All in all, the current Psylocke feels just like a continuation of the last Psylocke -Besy, with just a different name-Kwannon.

The stories might still enjoyable, but I just feel Marvel miss an oppurtunity to introduce us with Kwannon being a distinct Asian character added to the mutant-dom.

Honestly Fallen Angel's biggest crime to me, and I don't know who truly drove this to reality (I kind of doubt it was Hill), was not giving Kwannon a visual redesign. I don't care about the butterfly effect (partially because I love the new sword/shield insignia for Betsy) or the purple hair. It is being an exact replica of a dated design and I will annoyingly complain about it until it's changed lol.

I'm irritated with Hellions, whose first issue I enjoyed more than FA's debut, for the same reason. There are so many cool looks you can give her and...that creativity wasn't explored in favor of...marketing to older millennial nostalgia? C'mon, yall.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I'm honestly sure how a 90s-inspired jaunt would fare...
    i'm obviously showing my age by coming back to the Blue roster. And while I'm usually wary of nostalgia, a Blue Sequel for at least one arc would've set up the status quo among the well-known "commoners" of Krakoa. While Wolverine and Cyclops were both featured in HoXPoX, the two of them plus Beast have clear roles in the establishment. Mr & Mrs X had just returned to Earth, Jubilee and Betsy would be finding their footing after Disassembled. Blue helped kickstart the 90s and the new big status quo that followed. I'd liked to see a similar but seasoned teamwork kickstart the big status quo of the 20s

I've gotta be honest, I like that Kwannon's Psylocke kept these abilities/attributes.
    The ONLY things I'd have split off from Kwannon's Psylocke is purple hair and the butterfly signature. Give this new Psylocke natural black hair, telepathy, and a typical psychic spell effect similar to Emma, Cuckoos, QQ, etc. I'd also be strict about that sash. If she's going to be using the navy-colored ninja bikini, let's make sure the sash is blood red and not pink, purple, magenta or otherwise.

Someone remind me/correct me of the details (I'm not an expert on Psylocke) but didn't Kwannon as Revanche show a butterfly-esque tp effect after she was showing legacy virus symptoms (of course she was in Besty's body at the time). Also in X-men 32 Matsu'o made a comment about "all that was Kwannon finally disappears..telepathic energy vanishing like a butterfly.."

Cut to Fallen Angels and it is established both Betsy and Kwannon have a connection to the butterfly imagery.

I do think it makes them both even more confusing to continue Kwannon as Psylocke especially when we had just had Betsy as Psylocke in her original body during the disassembled story arc and in Age of X-man. Kwannon should have remained as Revanche in my opinion.

Also Matsu'o and/or Nyoirin affectionately called Kwannon "little butterfly".

It doesn't matter, I guess. The more this thing goes on, the more it proves how disastrous Jim Zub's story was.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Jim Zub
    You mean Hill?

As for the Matsu/Nyoirin stuff in the 90s. It was terrible. The FA book could've moved dramatically through and past all that, and it sorta did and also did not.

I had high hopes for Kwannon also...but it seems more and more they just want her to be exactly like Betsy was in her body. So once more, Kwannon is just a shell.

They could have kept a similar look. A sexy ninja with a katana and a psy knife. They didn't need to keep the name and butterfly effect with her though.

I know I post these exercises all the time, but it's just to try out different designs, and it's more and more obvious to me they could have gotten the ninja and the knight aspects correct to each one of them:

kwannon-betsy.jpg

With something similar to this, fans of the ninja look could still have their mysterious sexy ninja with katanas and a psychic knife, while Betsy fans would still have the adventurous knight damsel with the butterfly and tk shield and longsword.

They both could look cool and have unique color schemes.

We Betsy fans wouldn't feel so robbed, and everybody would be happier.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Someone remind me/correct me of the details (I'm not an expert on Psylocke) but didn't Kwannon as Revanche show a butterfly-esque tp effect after she was showing legacy virus symptoms (of course she was in Besty's body at the time). Also in X-men 32 Matsu'o made a comment about "all that was Kwannon finally disappears..telepathic energy vanishing like a butterfly.."

Cut to Fallen Angels and it is established both Betsy and Kwannon have a connection to the butterfly imagery.

I do think it makes them both even more confusing to continue Kwannon as Psylocke especially when we had just had Betsy as Psylocke in her original body during the disassembled story arc and in Age of X-man. Kwannon should have remained as Revanche in my opinion.
    There are moments during her early 90's run, especially when she's dying that she's giving off vague wing shaped psychic energy signatures.(X-Men, 2nd series #31-32) Whether that was meant to be the butterfly signature under extreme duress or not could be interpreted by the reader I guess. I'm at least happy they've been keeping her hair black.

I don't think Marvel would've let Hill or any writer give her a new look. At least not for a while. I remember the stink some Betsy fans had over the loss of the thong. Some wanted her out of it for years while others said it was her defining look. When people see that costume, they think "Psylocke" for better or worse.

I was actually watching Apocalypse out of sheer boredom a few days ago & noticed that I believe she's never even called Betsy in the entire film. The few times she's called by name it's only Psylocke. Hopefully when Disney reboots the X-films they never do a body swap should either character be introduced.

BANNED

Jeff Dekal

Dekal art makes her look latina/Spanish. Here and on the variant he did.

I dont get why its so hard for artist to draw Asian features.

He loves that pose. Thats at least the 4th time he's drawn it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

Asian features you mean her eyes? Most artists like Clay Mann have done that.

I love the vibrant lavender on her so much

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Asian features you mean her eyes? Most artists like Clay Mann have done that.
    something I've been noticing too...ironic how it was less of an issue in the 90s compared to 2020 lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He loves that pose. Thats at least the 4th time he's drawn it
    I think it's actually pretty cool aesthetic on her and it's not like he uses the same poses like Greg Land.

BANNED

I love the vibrant lavender on her so much

something I've been noticing too...ironic how it was less of an issue in the 90s compared to 2020 lol
    Actually there were a couple of times Dekal has given her good Asian features.