Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Your DC timeline

Out of all your collection, which DC timeline do you stick with?

Examples: Golden Age, Silver Age, Modern Age, New 52, 5G

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I mainly stick to comics set i post Crisis, pre Zero Hour continuity. So largely series from the mid eighties to the early nineties.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    Out of all your collection, which DC timeline do you stick with?

Examples: Golden Age, Silver Age, Modern Age, New 52, 5G
    For me it will forever will be the time between Year One and New 52. It's the era I grew up with, so naturally will be my favorite; but it also felt like a cohesive universe

I guess I’d have to say Silver age and Modern Era. I started reading comics during the modern era so that’s why I have more of those, as for the silver age I just generally enjoy some of the older comics to see how characters I like started out or some of the classic concepts such as Earth 2 JSA, Post-Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes, and recently a trade that collected the first appearance and issues of Impulse.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

*my* DC timeline?

HMSS Alfred Pennyworth, Queen Hippolyte, and a Kryptonian probe repel the incursion of New Gods at the Salonican Front in 1918.

One year later, Pennyworth is given custody of his employer's son, Hippolyte screams birthing pains on a stormy beach, and an alien baby crashlands in the fields of Kansas.

It just varies a lot. Mostly Bronze age to 2001 for the Bats (excluding Batman himself, who I increasingly dislike from early '80s to mid '90s, when he loses me altogether). Rebirth, pre-Bendis for Superman (with a shoutout to Chris Kent). I loved the 2006 Blue Beetle. I do like Rebirth Superman, pre-Bendis stories, a lot. Aquaman has had some good stuff. I liked Jeremiah and Eliza from Rebirth Supergirl. Timeline-wise, I'm very tied to that era for Bats, but tend towards earliest established dates. So Barbara is 7 years older than Dick. Dick is roughly 7/8 years older than Jason. I honestly prefer Jason and Tim as basically same-aged as they seemed to be when Tim was introduced, but accept the two year age-gap later used. Tim is significantly older than Damian, etc. I'm a little fuzzier on Superman, since there's been less consistency. Lois is similar to him age, sure, but that's easy. Kara's been all over the map, but I kind of like the idea of her the age of the original TT, even if she aged faster. I like Jimmy from the radio show, rather than silver age, and there he started young and grew up. But we don't have kids around newspaper offices anymore, so if you want him Dick's age, he can't be introduced until Superman has been around a lot longer. Definitely prefer Steve Diana's age and love interest, all the Amazons with powers, and golden age Etta (though I know she doesn't work now), even though there are some good post-COIE stories, too.

For my timeline, I drop a lot of silver age for Superman and Wonder Woman. It's not just Superdickery, it's the awfulness of Lana, Steve, and especially Lois (most overly in regards to romance) that I just cannot tolerate. Lois went from being pretty awesome to ...not. Most of the adventures and characterizations 1946-1967 for them isn't in my headcanon. Kara existing is an exception to that.

For me, I keep a timeline (not necessarily every event, but ages given, sequence of debuts, etc.) that is consistent with publication date for all the "surviving" golden age characters - so Superman was first, Robin debuted very early, Dick is a year older than Wally, etc.. I sometimes tweak for later retcons (Cissie King Jones existing) but not for others (WW rescuing Donna when Dick is still a toddler), depending on how wide-spread the changes are. The silver age heroes debut starting when Dick is 15, and the "non-survivors" of the golden age don't exist in the same world, as was the case when they moved to really shared world.

I tend to default to earlier backstories/continuities for most heroes. So Clark was never Superboy and didn't learn much of Krypton until adulthood. Alfred did not raise Bruce. Diana was made from clay. Hal met Sinestro for the first time after he became a villain. Wally has good parents, and Barry and Iris were definitely in no sense parental figures to him. The Dinah that is Ollie's lover is Larry's widow. The Hawks are just Thanagarian cops (yeah, haven't read anything with them in a very long time). Barbara is not Bruce's protege. Dick's transition to Nightwing goes pre-COIE route in my ideal world (it's unfortunately completely incompatible with so much that happens later the way Bruce became).

But I will take some retcons or later versions sometimes - either because they create characters I like (Barbara Gordon, Jon Kent) or change characters so much and so lastingly and I didn't have attachment to the prior version (Guy Gardner, Jason Todd).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-18-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Each has its own flaw
    In Pre Crisis in general, the DCU is unformed, so it's not as fun as today
    In the Bronze Age, it's Talia being the same age as Dick
    In Post Crisis, it's Byrne's Superman being such a lethargic story, Perez Wonder Woman having Steve Trevor too old, and all the jerk moves Batman pulled
    In the New 52, it's the time and ages
    In Rebirth, it's continuity under the Manhattan excuse

So I just make up my own

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Each has its own flaw

So I just make up my own
    Yeah, I'm trying to make up my own, too. I have 18 sheets in an Excel file so far. Posted one tab, but now I'm thinking of changing some stuff. Right now I'm looking at decades old Occupational Outlook Handbook and Kansas census information and figure out how big Smallville should be. Before that, it was military pilot MSOs in the 1980s and 1990s. Last week it was trying to find wages, prices and educational outcomes in Rio de Janeiro. But hey, it keeps me entertained.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-18-2020 at 10:02 PM.