Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I forgot about that but tbh I never considered that a real explanation from Logan. Especially since Remender was so adamant that this wasn't a case where Warren was just amnesiac and his real self could be brought back to the surface again. This was an entirely new entity reborn in the same body which is something Betsy seemed to understand unlike Logan with his reasoning that Warren's memories were just "burned away." And besides Bobby and Teen Warren, were there any other characters who had a chance to react to NuAngel?

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I forgot about that but tbh I never considered that a real explanation from Logan. Especially since Remender was so adamant that this wasn't a case where Warren was just amnesiac and his real self could be brought back to the surface again. This was an entirely new entity reborn in the same body which is something Betsy seemed to understand unlike Logan with his reasoning that Warren's memories were just "burned away." And besides Bobby and Teen Warren, were there any other characters who had a chance to react to NuAngel?
    Nope, it was just cringy.

Hippie Angel believed himself as an actual Angel and then when he found out he wasn't he was like nothing negative can affect me! Cue in the Stepford smile.
    He had resurrection powers that were never followed on
    He had healing powers that were never followed on
    He apparently excelled in every category in the Jean Grey School, there was an issue where he talks about how he aced every single class like some sort of prodigy
    His life seed powers were running out that were never followed on
    He made a sword out of light *shrug*

He honestly felt like a parody or lobotomized version of Warren good thing he had no relation to the tenth realm in Thor. That would have been worse considering the timeframe.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

thats how I took it to but once Warren left Remender's pen, he no longer had any say on the character and this was the reality for him for a few years until Bunn. This was definitely cringeworthy and I never considered Hippie to be Warren.

Ultimate Member

Man, I remember at some point in the 80's, Archangel was all 'my wings have this killer instinct I can't control...,' and someone, I think it was Jean, said, 'I'm a telepath, genius, your wings nothing, it's all you.' It was like the writer literally slapping down the concept of a second consciousness there, and saying it was just Warren acting out his PTSD trauma at the hands of 'Poccy (and Callisto, and Harpoon, and the various people who got him to that point), which was way more nuanced and character-driven.

And then, bang, back to 'another personality' cop-out, 'cause Cytorrak forbid anyone has any organic reaction and character development as a result of stuff that happens in the stories. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Man, I remember at some point in the 80's, Archangel was all 'my wings have this killer instinct I can't control...,' and someone, I think it was Jean, said, 'I'm a telepath, genius, your wings nothing, it's all you.' It was like the writer literally slapping down the concept of a second consciousness there, and saying it was just Warren acting out his PTSD trauma at the hands of 'Poccy (and Callisto, and Harpoon, and the various people who got him to that point), which was way more nuanced and character-driven.

And then, bang, back to 'another personality' cop-out, 'cause Cytorrak forbid anyone has any organic reaction and character development as a result of stuff that happens in the stories. :/
    that actually happened in the 90s after both had rejoined the X-men. I loved it

I cant believe he attacked her as he could have killed or done some serious damage with his wings but Jean kept her cool and owned him in this moment

I kind of forgot how insufferable Warren was in the 90s. Was not a big fan of too much doom and gloom. Let him smile and have fun every once in a while even when he has issues to sort up but they really love to crank up the edgy meter.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I kind of forgot how insufferable Warren was in the 90s. Was not a big fan of too much doom and gloom. Let him smile and have fun every once in a while even when he has issues to sort up but they really love to crank up the edgy meter.
    Yeah this is exactly why I said that I was done with 90s Archangel and didn't want a regression to that. Dual psyche Warren/Archangel was far more interesting than 100% gloomy Warren.

Nope, it was just cringy.

Hippie Angel believed himself as an actual Angel and then when he found out he wasn't he was like nothing negative can affect me! Cue in the Stepford smile.
    He had resurrection powers that were never followed on
    He had healing powers that were never followed on
    He apparently excelled in every category in the Jean Grey School, there was an issue where he talks about how he aced every single class like some sort of prodigy
    His life seed powers were running out that were never followed on
    He made a sword out of light *shrug*

He honestly felt like a parody or lobotomized version of Warren good thing he had no relation to the tenth realm in Thor. That would have been worse considering the timeframe.
    100% agree to all of this. He was a walking plot device and I'm glad all those superfluous powers are gone now. It's funny because even with all these powers, didn't he lose to Hawkeye in AvX?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats how I took it to but once Warren left Remender's pen, he no longer had any say on the character and this was the reality for him for a few years until Bunn. This was definitely cringeworthy and I never considered Hippie to be Warren.
    Yeah, I'm glad Bunn brought him back, I just wish it had been in a manner that didn't reduce him to a vessel for Archangel.

100% agree to all of this. He was a walking plot device and I'm glad all those superfluous powers are gone now. It's funny because even with all these powers, didn't he lose to Hawkeye in AvX?
    I believe the writer who did that issue was unaware of Warren's situation after DAS or the whole Warren is dead this is someone else. Does anyone have any scans of this?

I believe the writer who did that issue was unaware of Warren's situation after DAS or the whole Warren is dead this is someone else. Does anyone have any scans of this?

Ultimate Member

Well 90's Warren did start to change, greatly with the help of Betsy, away from the doom and gloom version...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well 90's Warren did start to change, greatly with the help of Betsy, away from the doom and gloom version...
    But he basically became wallpaper around that time. There aren't any major storylines with him in the mid-late 90s, beyond gaining his original wings back. Betsy at least had Crimson Dawn and Psi War.

Ultimate Member

Perhaps, just saying that she did greatly help him at least start to break away from the doom and gloom...and her teasing him before their trip to the Hellfire Club was fun...and their trip to his club where she sang and then the pair skipped out on the bill since he owned the place, their "vows" and jokes about Scott and Jean before the kiss in the air...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Perhaps, just saying that she did greatly help him at least start to break away from the doom and gloom...and her teasing him before their trip to the Hellfire Club was fun...and their trip to his club where she sang and then the pair skipped out on the bill since he owned the place, their "vows" and jokes about Scott and Jean before the kiss in the air...
    That was a nice issue when they finally became a couple. It just didn't unfortunately lead to much interesting stuff afterwards for the rest of the decade for both characters imo.