Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

New Mutants was my favourite title as a kid so having half the cast (especially Dani) written out didn't sit well with me. It might have worked if it was a whole new title, but it was such a complete tonal shift from Claremont's work that everyone felt out of character. I mean, she had Sam doing drugs of all characters. He learned his lesson after one try, but he should have known better to start with. The team overall started acting a whole lot younger than they had before.

We're way off topic though, and now I'm wanting to reread Simonson's X-Factor to get an Archangel fix. Too bad I won't have time tomorrow.

So, best Archangel costume? I don't have a preference myself, except that I don't like the skullcap. Warren has great hair, it should be showing at all times.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I cant really say that I'm all that surprised.

The editor describes Angel as a generic looking rich guy who can fly.
    I'd say that is a pretty fair description of the feather winged version of Angel.
    It's why most of Archangel's biggest fans prefer the metal winged version of the character. He's just more cool, and more useful in stories.

All you have to do is read the first issue of the Empyre X-Men mini-series to see what the X-office thinks of Angel.
    I think that calling Angel redundant was an intentional description of the character. He was being described as being redundant as both a rich mutant, and a mutant who only flies. Redundant.

Really, I don't understand why people think that Angel has shined during the Empyre X-Men mini.
    He shows up for a business meeting to start the comic. He finds out that he is being watched by Magik for being redundant, and then immediately ditches the meeting. If he really had been shown as being a good leader, he would have finished the meeting and then talked to Charles. Instead he just bails on the meeting without finishing it.

Later, Warren orders Madrox to fix the gate as quickly as he can. We see later on that hurrying up to clean the gate was the wrong thing to do. More bad leadership on Warren's part.

I dont mind when my favorite character looks bad, but I was hoping that this would be addressed in the comic, and Warren would find some way to redeem himself. I'm not sure if that will happen now.

And yeah, this doesnt seem to improve Angel's chances of appearing in future comics. When the head editor doesnt like a character that isnt exactly a good sign.

I think it speaks more than a little that JDW chose to answer that question first. Seems like he really wanted that to be known.

It looks like it is going to be a bad time to be an Archangel fan for the next several years. I've been havig a shitty enough time lately as it is.
    Archangel isnt likely to appear in many comics in the near future.
    Looks as though LoganAlpha30x33 was correct to say that Archangel likely wouldnt be appearing in any comics soon. We all told him that he was being overly dramatic and pessamistic. Looks like he was right, and we were wrong.
    Take a bow LoganAlpha30x33.
    I take a bow, trip over my own feet and stumble into the front row of the audience...if there is one

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I take a bow, trip over my own feet and stumble into the front row of the audience...if there is one
    LOL Where's the like button when you need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    New Mutants was my favourite title as a kid so having half the cast (especially Dani) written out didn't sit well with me. It might have worked if it was a whole new title, but it was such a complete tonal shift from Claremont's work that everyone felt out of character. I mean, she had Sam doing drugs of all characters. He learned his lesson after one try, but he should have known better to start with. The team overall started acting a whole lot younger than they had before.

We're way off topic though, and now I'm wanting to reread Simonson's X-Factor to get an Archangel fix. Too bad I won't have time tomorrow.

So, best Archangel costume? I don't have a preference myself, except that I don't like the skullcap. Warren has great hair, it should be showing at all times.
    I strongly prefer either his Blue and white Archangel costume from Bunn's Uncanny X-Men, or his Black and silver Archangel costume from X-Force.

I dont care for the current red and white costume that he is wearing. It just looks like an old and generic outfit. Sort of like Jean's hideous green mini skirt.

If you like something without a skull cap, then I would go with the blue halo outfit. It's also a little old looking, but it's better than the red one in my opinion.

Better yet, he could just get an entirely new costume without a skullcap.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    You should take another bow just for this great post, Logan.

If you like something without a skull cap, then I would go with the blue halo outfit. It's also a little old looking, but it's better than the red one in my opinion.

The blue one with the wings is kind of cool, too.

You've just reminded me that it's been ages since I've redesigned an x-characters costume... maybe I can find time this weekend...

The blue one with the wings is kind of cool, too.

You've just reminded me that it's been ages since I've redesigned an x-characters costume... maybe I can find time this weekend...
    Do you mean the costume that he wore in the Genosha version of Excalibur and then World War Hulk? Because if that's the costume that I'm thinking of that was actually really good.

I hope that you are able to find time to draw during your schedule, because you do a really good job with your art.

Thank you. I hope I get time, too.

This is the costume I was thinking of:

fb748388cc4acf2fe4e255e1f5e28c3f.jpg

Thank you. I hope I get time, too.

This is the costume I was thinking of:
    Yeah, that is the costume that I thought that you might be referring to. I wish that he had used it longer.
    It might have worked better if he used two different shades of blue. Maybe a darker shade of blue to go with the light blue so that the winged angel symbol stood out a little better. Or maybe even black. Sometimes it was hard to tell what the angel symbol was.

I agree that would help. I really like the boots. They remind me of the Archangel costumes.

Warren's had a lot of good costumes, really. He and Dani need some downtime scenes together so he can give her some pointers.

I agree that would help. I really like the boots. They remind me of the Archangel costumes.

Warren's had a lot of good costumes, really. He and Dani need some downtime scenes together so he can give her some pointers.
    I always just assumed that the boots were colored that way so that other artists and colorists wouldn't color the boots white, the way that they switched his boots from blue to white the way that they were on his original halo costumes. I didnt make the Archangel connection.

Angel has had some costumes that were real dogs. I'm thinking in particular of his yellow outfit with what looked like red suspenders from the 60's run on X-Men.

I take it that you are not fond of Moonstar's outfits. She's had some good ones.

Simonson's X-Factor was indeed great. It doesn't hurt that she first brought about Archangel, my favorite character. Walt did some great art as well.
    In agreement with you about Simonson's run on X-Factor.

Truly an epic build-up towards a legendary revelation. A definite favorite, and an all-time classic (IMHO):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-11-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]In agreement with you about Simonson's run on X-Factor.

Truly an epic build-up towards a legendary revelation. A definite favorite, and an all-time classic (IMHO):
    I read that reveal after Warren had been turned into Archangel, and well after the issue had been printed.

So I already knew what the reveal was going to be.

And I still found the reveal to be great. Simonson really did do a great job of building up to Warren's transformation into Archangel.

The old X-Factor really was a great comic. The only part of it that I can say that I didn't enjoy was the Scott/Maddie situation, and the constant angst that it lead to between Scott and Jean. And that wasn't even Simonson's fault. This version of X-Factor is one of my favorite runs on an X-comic.
    Last edited by Thievery; 08-11-2020 at 04:27 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

I always just assumed that the boots were colored that way so that other artists and colorists wouldn't color the boots white, the way that they switched his boots from blue to white the way that they were on his original halo costumes. I didnt make the Archangel connection.

Angel has had some costumes that were real dogs. I'm thinking in particular of his yellow outfit with what looked like red suspenders from the 60's run on X-Men.

I take it that you are not fond of Moonstar's outfits. She's had some good ones.
    I'd managed to block the suspenders from my mind. What was the artist thinking?

Dani's costumes are okay, but they tend towards boring colour schemes, and showing too much skin. (Don't get me wrong, Dani's not body conscious at all, but I don't think she'd wear a costume the basically says "aim for my guts" into combat.)

I will say, when it comes to these two costumes:

archangel-bigcostume13.jpg b137f241c292700aed9386df054f7e3e.jpg

Dani definitely wrote it better, even with the primary colours.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]In agreement with you about Simonson's run on X-Factor.

Truly an epic build-up towards a legendary revelation. A definite favorite, and an all-time classic (IMHO)
    I've really got to reread that run. I was too young to really appreciate it the first time around. The O5 just seemed so old!

Ultimate Member

I strongly prefer either his Blue and white Archangel costume from Bunn's Uncanny X-Men, or his Black and silver Archangel costume from X-Force.

I dont care for the current red and white costume that he is wearing. It just looks like an old and generic outfit. Sort of like Jean's hideous green mini skirt.

You should take another bow just for this great post, Logan.
    Well years ago it was raining out and my dad had gone outside to get the water out of the window well of my room, when he came in I ran into the bathroom to get him a towel to dry off and I ended up smashing my foot against the doorway, breaking my pinkie toe...and the less said about the parts of his own fingers that he unintentionally cut off the better...so if I try to take another bow I'll end up in the Hudson...even though I'm in the midwest...

As to Warren the metal wings could be like a power up that he could only hold for a short time, or that using them would drain him, or just stick him in the metal wings---drawn well, and leave it at that...

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of him switching at will. The metal wings are cool in fights, but there are times you don't want a whole lot of sharp blades on your back.

Soft wings would be trouble enough a lot of the time. Flying's cool, but there are times the wings must be really awkward. Like driving a car.