Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Man, I remember at some point in the 80's, Archangel was all 'my wings have this killer instinct I can't control...,' and someone, I think it was Jean, said, 'I'm a telepath, genius, your wings nothing, it's all you.' It was like the writer literally slapping down the concept of a second consciousness there, and saying it was just Warren acting out his PTSD trauma at the hands of 'Poccy (and Callisto, and Harpoon, and the various people who got him to that point), which was way more nuanced and character-driven.

And then, bang, back to 'another personality' cop-out, 'cause Cytorrak forbid anyone has any organic reaction and character development as a result of stuff that happens in the stories. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    that actually happened in the 90s after both had rejoined the X-men. I loved it

I cant believe he attacked her as he could have killed or done some serious damage with his wings but Jean kept her cool and owned him in this moment
    I've never really liked this retcon regarding Warren's split personality problems. He'd been shown as having some sort of subliminal Apocalypse personality during Inferno. And, the wings actually saved him from crashing into what I believe was a news helicopter in X-Factor. The wings also fought on their own when Warren was unconscious.

And finally, it was revealed that Warren did have the split personality in the Kyle/Yost run on X-Force.

I know that the idea of Warren having a split personality was only brought back later on, but I honestly think that this scene makes Jean look kind of bad in retrospect. Warren was clearly dealing with problems, and Jean just looks like she is just dismissing them out of hand.
    Last edited by Thievery; 07-01-2020 at 04:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Ultimate Member

Well when their teen versions showed up a few years ago teen Warren wanted to go home but teen Jean didn't so she used her powers to change his mind without his consent and everybody just shrugged their shoulders and acted like it never happened...Kyle and Yost brought the whole split personality back after it had been gone and buried for years, and the wings have killed without him being fully aware of their actions, them acting on their own as far as he knew. Warren's wings are in a state of flux, only settling on one thing or another depending on the writer that is currently writing him...

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I've never really liked this retcon regarding Warren's split personality problems. He'd been shown as having some sort of subliminal Apocalypse personality during Inferno. And, the wings actually saved him from crashing into what I believe was a news helicopter in X-Factor. The wings also fought on their own when Warren was unconscious.

And finally, it was revealed that Warren did have the split personality in the Kyle/Yost run on X-Force.

I know that the idea of Warren having a split personality was only brought back later on, but I honestly think that this scene makes Jean look kind of bad in retrospect. Warren was clearly dealing with problems, and Jean just looks like she is just dismissing them out of hand.
    I liked this moment, and the writer (Lobdell, right?) decided he didn't like the wings having a mind of their own or whatever. I think he wanted to move Archangel forward. Jean played the role once again as team counselor and in this moment tried to get Warren to take responsibility for his actions and his life in general. The later story going back to the split personality or whatever does make Jean wrong but I think her tough love moment was still useful (and was shown to be meaningful as Archangel eventually moved on from the resident "brooding hot head" of the team). I love Archangel but he was a mess in parts of this story and in parts of X-cutioner's Song.

Archangel went through some serious trauma and it did haunt him over many years (and of course in more recent years it happened again - his wings lost and going back to the metal winged look). He couldn't catch a break.

Ultimate Member

It's kind of like the Phoenix bit with Jean, at times every new writer wants to have their say, and Warren gets strung along every time that it happens...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    It's kind of like the Phoenix bit with Jean, at times every new writer wants to have their say, and Warren gets strung along every time that it happens...
    I was going to make the comparison in my above post, but edited it out. It is very soap opera-ish to radically change a character just for them to eventually revert to the original setting. For Archangel or even Jean (among others) they keep going back and forth between the original version and the changed version.

I am happy that Archangel can transform between his feathered winged and metal winged versions. Though I liked the Dark Angel story as a whole it was retread. I like Archangel in his blue and metal wings but we don't need to go back to the "evil version" just like Jean should be able one day to be Phoenix again but Dark Phoenix should be long retired.

I dont think recent developments with Warren made Jean wrong in that moment. The wings attacking people and the anger that Warren exhibited stopped after Jean read him so there was some level of truth to what she said. Warren did have more control than he gave himself credit for. Apocalypse may have messed with his head and how he reacted towards things, but he didnt have to stay that way. He did not to get a grip and own his sh-t, which he did. Warren ranks up there as one of my favorites but he did do alot of whining and pity parties about what happened to him

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I was going to make the comparison in my above post, but edited it out. It is very soap opera-ish to radically change a character just for them to eventually revert to the original setting. For Archangel or even Jean (among others) they keep going back and forth between the original version and the changed version.

I am happy that Archangel can transform between his feathered winged and metal winged versions. Though I liked the Dark Angel story as a whole it was retread. I like Archangel in his blue and metal wings but we don't need to go back to the "evil version" just like Jean should be able one day to be Phoenix again but Dark Phoenix should be long retired.
    After the recent Phoenix Resurrection, I don't think we can say that anymore. All Phoenix is bad.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ultimate Member

That was part of the good thing about his relationship with Betsy, it helped to finally get Warren to get out of that vicious cycle and move on, he and Logan even started to become friends because of it, as they had been not enemies but not friends before...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    That was part of the good thing about his relationship with Betsy, it helped to finally get Warren to get out of that vicious cycle and move on, he and Logan even started to become friends because of it, as they had been not enemies but not friends before...
    Agreed. Those were wonderful times...

Inferno
    (Uncanny X-Men #242)

X-Tinction Agenda
    (Uncanny X-Men #272)

However, as you said, friendship wins out in the end. Thanks to Betsy, this scene would be a great example...

Uncanny X-Force #2
    (January, 2011)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-03-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added Identification.

[/center][/QUOTE]

I would appreciate it if someone could/would identify the comic this came from. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AMAZINGTFL; 07-03-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMAZINGTFL View Post
    [/center]
    I would appreciate it if someone could/would identify the comic this came from. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

It is from Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1 #2

Looks like we may finally be getting some Warren and Apocalypse interaction. I look forward to seeing him with Polaris too

It is from Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1 #2[/QUOTE]

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AMAZINGTFL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I would appreciate it if someone could/would identify the comic this came from. Thanks in advance.
    Apologies for the late response. But, as stated, the correct answer is...

Uncanny X-Force #2
    (Release Date: November 24, 2010)

For your viewing pleasure, here's the cover (along with the textless version).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-16-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.