Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Warren is a part of X-Corp which will make its debut in Empyre

Love seeing him with Monet

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I liked this moment, and the writer (Lobdell, right?) decided he didn't like the wings having a mind of their own or whatever. I think he wanted to move Archangel forward. Jean played the role once again as team counselor and in this moment tried to get Warren to take responsibility for his actions and his life in general. The later story going back to the split personality or whatever does make Jean wrong but I think her tough love moment was still useful (and was shown to be meaningful as Archangel eventually moved on from the resident "brooding hot head" of the team). I love Archangel but he was a mess in parts of this story and in parts of X-cutioner's Song.

Archangel went through some serious trauma and it did haunt him over many years (and of course in more recent years it happened again - his wings lost and going back to the metal winged look). He couldn't catch a break.
    Sorry for the late response, I haven't been spending a lot of time around here lately

This is just my opinion, but I never really thought that Archangel was all that broody and angsty during the 90's when you compare him to other grim characters like Cyclops or Bishop. Warren threw his share of pity parties, but there was more than just that. Really most of the X-Men have done a good job of throwing pity parties for themselves I thought that he had some really good stories with Charlotte Jones that did some good work to help pull him out of his depression. I looked at those stories as helping to move Warren forward with his life, without the retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Warren is a part of X-Corp which will make its debut in Empyre

Love seeing him with Monet
    Sorry, I accidentally left my response to this out in my previous post.

Yeah, it is nice to see Warren with Monet again. Magic also. These two characters have always seemed to pop up when people make suggestions for characters that they want to see Warren team up with in his appreciation threads over the last several years. It's neat to see it actually happen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Sorry for the late response, I haven't been spending a lot of time around here lately

This is just my opinion, but I never really thought that Archangel was all that broody and angsty during the 90's when you compare him to other grim characters like Cyclops or Bishop. Warren threw his share of pity parties, but there was more than just that. Really most of the X-Men have done a good job of throwing pity parties for themselves I thought that he had some really good stories with Charlotte Jones that did some good work to help pull him out of his depression. I looked at those stories as helping to move Warren forward with his life, without the retcon.
    I think that some of that was because he got the stereotype of being all broody and angsty in the 90's, at least until he started dating Betsy and she did a lot to pull him out of it, even poking fun at him because of it a time or two, and I don't think that he was ever supposed to be as grim as Wolverine, Warren took the dark and broody side of things because of his past mistakes...

Empyre was everything Warren fans have wanted for YEARS. He talks to Xavier and has a real conversation with him for the first time in forever. This isnt like AXM where X talked at him and to his Archangel persona. Xavier and Warren have an actual conversation as student and mentor and this had so much heart that has really been lacking in all of his interactions since UXF

It was also good seeing him as a competent leader which he hasnt been since the Austen run. A rare interaction with Magneto also happened and its weird bc I dont recall them ever really talking which is weird given their role on Bunn's run but Warren was an Archangel drone for that so this was good to see.

Of course Magik and Monet were the highlights for me. He also chose spoilers:
    Madrox
    end of spoilers as the final member. I hope X-Corp remains a longterm fixture. Angel fans get this bc its a must buy. Empyre may be one of his best stories if the rest of the mini keeps up this quality

Ultimate Member

I'm guessing that he chose that certain someone so that they would have someone to serve as cannon fodder...here's hoping that this is just the start for Warren and not the highlight...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'm guessing that he chose that certain someone so that they would have someone to serve as cannon fodder...here's hoping that this is just the start for Warren and not the highlight...
    No it was a work around bc Magneto said he was only allowed to take one person with him. It was quite genius of Warren actually. Warren's showing here makes up for how dirty Hickman did him in HoX

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I thought Angel was great in today's Empyre tie-in. Some nice character moments.

Ultimate Member

No it was a work around bc Magneto said he was only allowed to take one person with him. It was quite genius of Warren actually. Warren's showing here makes up for how dirty Hickman did him in HoX
    It works for both, Jamie can both be an army showing Warren's intelligence and be cannon fodder if need be...

It occurred to me that I haven't done a decent portrait of Warren, so I decided to rectify the situation. I stylized the wings on purpose, but I don't think I'd do it that way again. I'm going to do a series of framed monochrome X-men portraits, but the rest will probably be digital.

20200802_175407.jpg

Only a few more days until his next appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    It occurred to me that I haven't done a decent portrait of Warren, so I decided to rectify the situation. I stylized the wings on purpose, but I don't think I'd do it that way again. I'm going to do a series of framed monochrome X-men portraits, but the rest will probably be digital.

20200802_175407.jpg

Only a few more days until his next appearance.
    Nice. You do a lot of good art work.
    It kind of resembles the picture of Angel on the cover of X-Men Empyre issue 1.
    And the stylized wings that you used look nice.

Mighty Member

Empyre was everything Warren fans have wanted for YEARS. He talks to Xavier and has a real conversation with him for the first time in forever. This isnt like AXM where X talked at him and to his Archangel persona. Xavier and Warren have an actual conversation as student and mentor and this had so much heart that has really been lacking in all of his interactions since UXF

It was also good seeing him as a competent leader which he hasnt been since the Austen run. A rare interaction with Magneto also happened and its weird bc I dont recall them ever really talking which is weird given their role on Bunn's run but Warren was an Archangel drone for that so this was good to see.

Of course Magik and Monet were the highlights for me. He also chose spoilers:
    Madrox
    end of spoilers as the final member. I hope X-Corp remains a longterm fixture. Angel fans get this bc its a must buy. Empyre may be one of his best stories if the rest of the mini keeps up this quality

Is it confirmed that X-Corps will be a new X-comic? When is the first issue? WHo are the members?

Warren
    Monet
    Madrox
    ??

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Is it confirmed that X-Corps will be a new X-comic? When is the first issue? WHo are the members?
    It was a rumor back in 2019, and there was a blurb in, I think, Captain Marvel about following Carmen Carnero to X-Corp. But the rumored release date was supposedly in Feb. 2020 and Carnero is now on another book, so either it was just a rumor or the book was delayed or canceled. The "team" seems to be economically/business focused so they may have decided to just keep it as a background detail or cameos in other books rather than giving them their own title. It was set up by Sunspot and the only confirmed "members" are Warren and Monet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Nice. You do a lot of good art work.
    It kind of resembles the picture of Angel on the cover of X-Men Empyre issue 1.
    And the stylized wings that you used look nice.
    Thank you. I did just read X-men Empyre #1anight or two before I started it, and I used it for costume reference,so it was on my mind.

Looking forward to tomorrow's issue.