Default Have the DC super heroes ever been sued?

So I'm watching The Incredibles right now and it has got me wondering if anything like mass super hero law suits has ever happened in DC before I thought about posting this question in Marvel but I'm sure it's been done before especially since Daredevil and She-Hulk are lawyers however when it comes to DC I can't think of any lawyers but I can see Lex Luthor pulling something like that with Superman to get rid of him.

This is essentially the scene I'm talking about.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Does Bruce, being the face of Batman Incorporated, got his assets frozen by the state after damages to the city by Hush' machinations, blowing up Batman's weapon caches and taking over the Batmobile so it runs free all over the city, count?

All-New Member

The pre-crisis Justice Society wasn't "sued," per se, but in the early 80's they went to trial for alleged treason during WW2 in "America vs The Justice Society of America" after a posthumous accusation from Batman. I even think Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson argued different sides of the case against each other.

I believe there was an early 00’s run of Doom Patrol where they got hit with a cease and desist for using the name doom patrol
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

A woman tried to sue Wally for him allegedly ignoring her, causing her to be crippled

Ray Palmer was sued. I just can’t remember why right now because it was so long ago.

I think somebody tried suing Superman once...?

Incredible Member

I think Wally was told to leave one or two cities where he lived because his figths with supervillains caused a lot of damage, otherwise the city would have sued him.

Actually, he had to cover the damages he caused on a city, thankfully, a super multi millionarie woman paid that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I believe there was an early 00’s run of Doom Patrol where they got hit with a cease and desist for using the name doom patrol
    It was during one of Doom Patrol's revivals. A rich man was trying to bring back the Doom Patrol and got Robot Man (Cliff) to unknowingly signed away the rights to the name (being the sole survivor of the original Doom Patrol) for merchandising purposes. When Cliff left the group to form his own team away from the corporation that's where he got hit with the court order.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think somebody tried suing Superman once...?
    In a book (Last Son of Krypton or Miracle Monday) during a cleanup of a oil (gas?) tanker explosion Superman placed a deck of the tanker on a vacant property crushing a chain link fence. The owner of the property tried to sue Superman for vandalism but the judge threw the case out when it was found out that Superman went back after the emergency was over and not only repaired the fence but left the property in better shape than it was originally.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Batgrayson and Rrobin nailed the two Wally instances.

First time was during Mark Waid's run #88 - 91. A woman was injured during a battle Wally had with Razor.
    The next time, he wasn't so much sued, as told Keystone could no longer afford to keep him there due to the insurance costs involved with the constant repairs. He then accepted an invitation to Santa Marta California (#122-126).
    Unfortunately, Major Damage decided to come to come and cause complete havok making the stay very short.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Firestorm was sued by Felicity Smoak after he nearly destroyed her software company during a battle with a super-villain. Felicity eventually met and married Ronnie (Firestorm) Raymond's father, discovered his super-hero identity, forgave him for almost ruining her financially, and became a great, loving step-mom.

This occurred pre-Flashpoint. Post-Flashpoint, Felicity became a supporting character for Green Arrow and Ronnie's history (if I recall correctly) was altered so that his father was dead and his mother was alive, the opposite of when he debuted in the 70s.
    Last edited by JLH; 01-20-2020 at 07:10 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Firestorm was sued by Felicity Smoak after he nearly destroyed her software company during a battle with a super-villain. Felicity eventually met and married Ronnie (Firestorm) Raymond's father, discovered his super-hero identity, forgave him for almost ruining her financially, and became a great, loving step-mom.
    Not to mention for turning her clothes into soap bubbles because she had the temerity to be a little upset over the destruction of her company. IMO, the most non-heroic act by a superhero pre-COIE.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?