Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Force #23 Review: Embedded Agents

Just going to do a quick review today.

Issue starts off with Peacock Man (PM) and Mikhail meeting in a frozen wasteland. Mikhail has contracted Xeno to provide him with soldiers, and he did not get the number he was promised, however Peacock man thinks that the abilities of the Russian Nesting doll agents (the ones that previously attacked Krakoa) will more than make up in the lack of numbers. To prove their effectiveness the soldiers are pitted up against and ice bear, which Mikhail says is the only real predator of man and mutant. The soldiers make quick work of the bear and show the ability to "pop out" a new person if the original dies. Next up we see the scene from the previews with Beast cutting open the left over nesting doll and the little guys ends up in his ear, this obviously freaks Beast out so he asks Black Tom to help him by deploying "Wee Tom" to locate the missing bad guy. Unfortunately we don't get to see this battle take place. We go back to Mikhail and PM and learn that the Pale Girl works for him and that he is the one that wanted to steal the Shiar logic diamonds. We also see a character called Siber who I don't believe we've met before, looks like an android of some sort. Mikhail is annoyed with PM so he puts him in a pocket dimension to think about his failure. We end with a scene meeting the "Chronicler" who seems to be a mutant, maybe with the power to shape the future as he writes it down, its some what unclear.

I've really enjoyed Percy so far, and I think he said this issue and the next are two of the most important ones he's written for his run but I'm not sure why to be honest. We did learn that Pale Girl and Mikhail are working together along which was new, and we met two new people in Siber and Chronicler but other than that it didn't feel like much happened this issue. Maybe it will become more clear next issue but honestly this one felt like it didn't live up to the hype.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea that the Russian mutants or whatever faction Mikhail leads are analogous to the Brotherhood of mutants of classic mythos in this Krakoa era with a twist. Krakoa has positioned itself as a connected yet 'insulated' nation from the rest of the world, while Mikhail claims his mutant enclave is working together with humanity(so far limited to a geographic area) to build a monolithic collective.This is very interesting, if it is an ever present ethos of Mikhail's crew...sort of flips the script.
    Last edited by Rev9; 09-08-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Incredible Member

I remember that the insane Mikhail ruling over the Hill was shown to be manipulated by Dark Beast to the degree that he was afraid of retaliation by him, so I suppose it's fitting that a confident Mikhail may end up destroying Beast as he descends further into darkness.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Just going to do a quick review today.

Issue starts off with Peacock Man (PM) and Mikhail meeting in a frozen wasteland. Mikhail has contracted Xeno to provide him with soldiers, and he did not get the number he was promised, however Peacock man thinks that the abilities of the Russian Nesting doll agents (the ones that previously attacked Krakoa) will more than make up in the lack of numbers. To prove their effectiveness the soldiers are pitted up against and ice bear, which Mikhail says is the only real predator of man and mutant. The soldiers make quick work of the bear and show the ability to "pop out" a new person if the original dies. Next up we see the scene from the previews with Beast cutting open the left over nesting doll and the little guys ends up in his ear, this obviously freaks Beast out so he asks Black Tom to help him by deploying "Wee Tom" to locate the missing bad guy. Unfortunately we don't get to see this battle take place. We go back to Mikhail and PM and learn that the Pale Girl works for him and that he is the one that wanted to steal the Shiar logic diamonds. We also see a character called Siber who I don't believe we've met before, looks like an android of some sort. Mikhail is annoyed with PM so he puts him in a pocket dimension to think about his failure. We end with a scene meeting the "Chronicler" who seems to be a mutant, maybe with the power to shape the future as he writes it down, its some what unclear.

I've really enjoyed Percy so far, and I think he said this issue and the next are two of the most important ones he's written for his run but I'm not sure why to be honest. We did learn that Pale Girl and Mikhail are working together along which was new, and we met two new people in Siber and Chronicler but other than that it didn't feel like much happened this issue. Maybe it will become more clear next issue but honestly this one felt like it didn't live up to the hype.
    Interesting to hear Pale Girl is back and she works with Mikhail. So this Siber and Chronicler are working with him as well? Seems Mikhail is gathering a team of mutants.

I must say it is about time we get to know more about Peacock Man, give him some background story and a name.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Percy's writing of Beast reminds me of the UK government minister who famously said "People have had enough of experts" in response to experts warning of all the bad consequences of Brexit that either already have or are in the process of coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Percy's writing of Beast reminds me of the UK government minister who famously said "People have had enough of experts" in response to experts warning of all the bad consequences of Brexit that either already have or are in the process of coming true.
    Is Beast the expert or the misinformed minister in this scenario?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Is Beast the expert or the misinformed minister in this scenario?
    Percy is. Beast is smart so, as Percy has it, he's completely amoral and thinks he's a god, and therefore Logan is right about everything despite basically being a psychopath. Let's get rid of these so-called experts and just stab all our problems away!

Yeah I thought the dialogue about Beast acknowledging his "old self" was very on the nose and not a great way to address how much he's changed. Sure Hank has been a bit of an ******* for the last decade, but mutantkind has been in far worse scenarios and he never felt the need to become a completely amoral war criminal. Matter of fact he was so pressed for peace during IvX that he was an advocate for the mutants to leave the planet to avoid conflict with the Inhumans.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 09-09-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

LOL, that is a very good comparison.

Any one notice how Percy through Beast mentions how everyone misses the joyful bouncing beast ? It was like Beast was talking to us. Lol

It's like Percy's goal for this issue was to include every single Russian stereotype he could think of. Along with the amazing Russian language straight from the Google translate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's like Percy's goal for this issue was to include every single Russian stereotype he could think of. Along with the amazing Russian language straight from the Google translate
    I usually don't care about this stuff, some people over react to this but my god this is like how a 10 year old kid would describe Russia w/ his basis being a couple crappy movies involving it and a lot of bad youtube about it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I doubt he used Google translate, too many errors, although they were trying to describe Piotr as handsome and we'll groomed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah I thought the dialogue about Beast acknowledging his "old self" was very on the nose and not a great way to address how much he's changed. Sure Hank has been a bit of an ******* for the last decade, but mutantkind has been in far worse scenarios and he never felt the need to become a completely amoral war criminal. Matter of fact he was so pressed for peace during IvX that he was an advocate for the mutants to leave the planet to avoid conflict with the Inhumans.
    Best way to do it would be say he is power drunk, he's riding the krakoan high.Not only does he have more resources than ever, he also has more time.Charles has given him permission to do anything for the country and he loves it.

At least Hank even mentioned that Cerebro still has a backup of his jovial self and that he doesn’t want to die in fear that they’ll bring back a different Beast. Which is what most of the readers seem to want based on posts here.

Bring him back to…. Before the Legacy Virus. I think that’s where things started getting dark for poor Hank. Have him and Simon take a week’s vacation together.