Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Pretty good article about the demise of Marvel TV

I didn't like all of the non-Feige content, but almost all of them were interesting attempts. SyFy's writer is correct in calling the centralization of the content unfortunate.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I didn't like all of the non-Feige content, but almost all of them were interesting attempts. SyFy's writer is correct in calling the centralization of the content unfortunate.
    The only thing I will miss is Daredevil. I really hope they bring the cast back for another series. Jon Berthal was the best Punisher but the stories needed to be better. The first season of Jessica Jones was good but the other two seasons were horrible. Kristen Ritter was great as the character though. The rest:

Iron Fist crap
    Inhumans crap
    Luke Cage meh
    AOS meh
    Cloak and Dagger crap
    Runaways Meh
    Legion started off well but just couldn't stay interested

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    The only thing I will miss is Daredevil. I really hope they bring the cast back for another series. Jon Berthal was the best Punisher but the stories needed to be better. The first season of Jessica Jones was good but the other two seasons were horrible. Kristen Ritter was great as the character though. The rest:

Iron Fist crap
    Inhumans crap
    Luke Cage meh
    AOS meh
    Cloak and Dagger crap
    Runaways Meh
    Legion started off well but just couldn't stay interested

yeah i enjoyed most of these series more than you but marvel tv felt like it had largely run its coursec and i don't think i'll miss it much. Most of the netflix series fell apart after 1 season (aside from Daredevil), and all of them felt padded and stretched beyond the number of episodes they needed, even the Defenders limited season. AoS feels like they've done as much as they can on a limited budget, and feels like it was due to end with or without disney plus coming along. Runaways is OK I guess. I don't count Legion or the Gifted as they were really fox shows. And lets not even talk about Inhumans as it still makes me angry to think of what a travesty that show was.

Agent Carter was pretty good and i could've gone for another season of that, but then the finale of Endgame kind of wiped out the series anyhow, maybe.

The only thing i'm kind of aggravated by is how many of these series ended on some level of cliffhanger. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Agent Carter all left some pretty major plot points unresolved, which is just unnecessary. I wish the showrunners would wrap up their plots by the end of the season instead of banking on a last minute renewal.

I enjoy the CW DC verse but even at its best very best it doesn't touch the worst of Daredevil or Jessica Jones which were amazing and some of the best genre TV ever made. DC verse also doesn't touch the best of Agents of Shield.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I enjoy the CW DC verse but even at its best very best it doesn't touch the worst of Daredevil or Jessica Jones which were amazing and some of the best genre TV ever made. DC verse also doesn't touch the best of Agents of Shield.
    The CW shows are utter crap. Lousy acting combined with the cheap budgets. I'll never understand what anyone see's in them. The streaming shows I have not seen so can't comment on them.

The CW shows are utter crap. Lousy acting combined with the cheap budgets. I'll never understand what anyone see's in them. The streaming shows I have not seen so can't comment on them.
    What I saw of Flash and Supergirl was pretty good (although I fell off the wagon and haven't caught up in years).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Boisterously Confused

I will miss Agent Carter. Her first series was brilliant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Imo it's pretty unfair to compare the cw shows to the Marvel Netflix shows as they are on two separate platforms and have different budgets and constraints. A better comparison would be dc shows on network tv vs marvel shows on network tv. Additionally, comparing dc shows on streaming/HBO/Showtime vs Marvel shows on streaming/HBO/Showtime. At the end of the day it will always come down to personal preference.

Personally, in terms of the tv network show comparisons I prefer more of the dc shows arrowverse included. For Marvel, while I liked Legion when it first aired, it fell short to me and I don't know how Agents of Shield is still on the air. I haven't watched Cloak and Dagger as it really didn't interest me enough, so no opinion. Inhumans = Never Again. Agent Peggy Carter had a good season.

As for Marvel on streaming platforms 1000% times better than their tv counterparts. Dare Devil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Punisher were all really strong, with mediocre being defenders and iron fist. The runaways bounced between good and boring but there were far too many episodes where nothing worthwhile happened to move the plot along.

DC streaming/HBO had Watchmen, Titans, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Lucifer and if you count animation, Harley Quinn and Deathstroke.

For me it's a win for DC on network TV and a tie for streaming.

This isn't a DC vs Marvel thing...Modern television is mostly garbage. Serialization has ruined the medium. Story tellers no longer have to write a single compelling episode, instead they stretch a single story over an entire season, be it 12 or 24 episodes. If you write a single bad episode it isn't a problem, but if your season long arc is crap then the whole thing sours.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It's more palatable if you think of them as Power Rangers for teenagers. But yeah, they're still well below the MCU shows in quality.

To me the CW shows are more like cartoons, but in live-action. They're light and enjoyable and they delve into their inherent "comic bookness" so they work on that level for me. Marvel's Netflix shows had a very different feel, but they worked on their own level too. (okay, less so for "Iron Fist" which I thought should have leaned into being more fun, which it seemed they finally did ... but in the last ten minutes of the final episode! Seriously, Jones was an awesome Danny in his last two scenes - if only they'd written him like that from day 1.... ) Similarly, they finally got the Punisher to fully embrace his violent side and the skull and his war on crime.... in the last scene! They should have just had him to that in the first season, instead of giving us "Frank's real origin, 2.0" and season 2 of him being dragged into fighting bad guys. He should've been hunting them like he was doing in "DD." Oh well, still - they were pretty good overall and they raised the bar.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-20-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This isn't a DC vs Marvel thing...Modern television is mostly garbage. Serialization has ruined the medium. Story tellers no longer have to write a single compelling episode, instead they stretch a single story over an entire season, be it 12 or 24 episodes. If you write a single bad episode it isn't a problem, but if your season long arc is crap then the whole thing sours.
    The the point I was trying to make is tv shows have different limitations and expectations and comparing network produced shows to shows on streaming platforms is not an apple to apple comparison. We've seen when allowed the proper creative freedom without rating restrictions that both Marvel and DC can make good content.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Loved AOS and Agent Carter (season 1, at least... season 2 was kind of weak). And Daredevil was definitely the highlight of the Netflix shows. Haven't watched Punisher yet, but I hear it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Loved AOS and Agent Carter (season 1, at least... season 2 was kind of weak). And Daredevil was definitely the highlight of the Netflix shows. Haven't watched Punisher yet, but I hear it was good.
    The first half of season 2 of Daredevil is among my favorite things on tv period. 2nd half if that season though loses it's way without Punisher front and center. Punisher was good but he was at his best in daredevil. I will say Bernthals performance is underappreciated. Hes the first person who played Frank like he was actually insane. From the outbursts, all the way to the small ticks

Niffleheim

I skip DD season 2 entirely and jump immediately to season 3 because i cant stand The Punisher/Defensers and i don't feel like i miss a thing.