Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default If DC does a company-wide Hard Reboot in the future ...

And they literally start the main Batman comic from the beginning ...

1.) How should/would they start BATMAN (next volume) #1?

2.) How long should/would they go on before introducing Richard Grayson pre-Robin?

Astonishing Member

They should start with Alfred, Batman, Batgirl and Robin in issue #1.

We don't need another origin story. We don't need to be reintroduced to the classic supporting characters or the classic villains.

We want to read our heroes versus the (new & old) villains.

Extraordinary Member

DC doesn't really have much Characters that sell books, a hard reboot would prevent them from using a lot of the characters, in some cases even for years, so I doubt that they would ever do that.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

We don't need another origin story. We don't need to be reintroduced to the classic supporting characters or the classic villains.

I would agree with this approach. The problem with reboots, is people can't accept that it is a reboot. Instead they will ask, "When will this character get introduced or this character?" Because they don't want a reboot, they want the stories they know to be true.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

If they did, it would be stupid. They would be purposefully limiting themselves on what characters they could use. While those characters do have built in fanbases, they would be alienating fanbases of Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, Cass, Stephanie, and others.

Extraordinary Member

If they would really a clean Hard Reboot and start from the beginning they could imo not even have the Justice League book in the beginning.

If we ignore all that an have them really start from the beginning, in the Golden Age Robin was introduced a year after Batman, so I don't think it would take much longer.

They would have some Year One Type origin for Batman, then do a Joker Origin and have him fall into the Chemicals, then maybe Two Face and then Robin.

It depends on the story they wanna tell. A hard reboot doesn't have to start at Day 1 and Batman is popular enough so you can start him older.

Hell I'd skip bruce and go to Dick's tenure. Or just drop Dick and the others and do something else like what Telltale did.

Astonishing Member

Skip all of the retelling the past stuff. If you want a book that talks about the old days then just make one. Have everything else set at a point where all the pieces are on the table.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member

The value of the expanded cast, heroes and villains, is probably just too much for any true hard reboot that would be starting over with Batman Day One.

About the *only* way I could see that happening is if they had some highly trusted writer coming on, with his goal not being “reboot the series for another nebulously time-framed unending story,” but instead a fully mapped out “I’m taking this story through decades in a matter of years, and I have defined points in the timeline designed to introduce classic heroes and allies, and progress *their* stories just as I’m progressing Batman’s.” Basically, you’d have to have a quicker paced “Earth One” concept forthe character, and want to release volumes with a definitive endpoint, like a manga.

And that ain’t happening.

So what I’d be expecting/hoping for would be something akin to the Post-Crisis approach, or the one that the Batman books got in the New52 compared to everyone else: have most of the books just treat it like a continuation of the previous stories, and only “transplant” in new continuity as trusted artists pitch dependable ideas to editors (like how Miller and Snyder incorporated Year One and Zero Year well after the reboot and after proving themselves.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Skip all of the retelling the past stuff. If you want a book that talks about the old days then just make one. Have everything else set at a point where all the pieces are on the table.
    Yep. Another hard reboot is probably an ill advised idea, but if they DO do another one, cut the bullshit and just make a clean break. Absolutely none of the major stories should have happened anymore so there is no confusion.

But we don't need too many rehashes anymore either since we know all the classic origins inside and out. Simply start with Batman, Alfred and Dick as Robin. Batman and Robin are established, but only for a few years so they are still young. Kind of a BTAS situation: streamline it down to the bare essentials. So those three, Gordon and Barbara (who would become Batgirl), the more enduring Gotham citizens (Bullock, Montoya, Lucius, Leslie, Vicki, etc.) and all the major villains.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Skip all of the retelling the past stuff.
    I'm afraid this is something the seasoned fan might have to deal with or walk away from. Retelling the same story with changes that detract from the original seems to be part of the cycle of serial comics. Certain writers like to tread the same territory and add small, unnecessary twists that make the new story their own (see: Scott Snyder, Tom King). If you have a favorite era, you might as well look for a way to close it off. Otherwise, you're just watching the new guy repeat it poorly.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batman Year One has such long-lasting value that I can see them keeping it. They'll consider changing it if they find another Snyder. The Robin and Batgirl origin are more flexible. They already changed the content and their age.

As previous posters have said, a lot of these characters are already public knowledge that you can skip their intro straight to when they already operate, but knowing DC they're gonna try and sell a new origin story anyway, because of the extra money that fans can't help to spend because they're curious collectors.

Now if you're asking how I'd done it... I'd keep Year One and Legends of The Dark Knight and only started changing once Robin gets to the picture, applying my concept that Dick will be a squire first until he's old enough for the field. This doesn't mean he's gonna obey though. The opposite, in fact.
    Barbara can stay the same because she was old enough for the field and she's independent so she doesn't follow Batman's rules.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The value of the expanded cast, heroes and villains, is probably just too much for any true hard reboot that would be starting over with Batman Day One.
    That probaly only been done as it's own thing outside of the main continuity.

Basically like the Eath One books, just with a much faster output.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yep. Another hard reboot is probably an ill advised idea, but if they DO do another one, cut the bullshit and just make a clean break. Absolutely none of the major stories should have happened anymore so there is no confusion.

But we don't need too many rehashes anymore either since we know all the classic origins inside and out. Simply start with Batman, Alfred and Dick as Robin. Batman and Robin are established, but only for a few years so they are still young. Kind of a BTAS situation: streamline it down to the bare essentials. So those three, Gordon and Barbara (who would become Batgirl), the more enduring Gotham citizens (Bullock, Montoya, Lucius, Leslie, Vicki, etc.) and all the major villains.
    Agreed.

Batman # 1 should start with Batman and Robin already established. Bruce has been Batman for around 3-4 years, and Dick has been Robin for a little over a year. The Bat-family at this point is Bruce, Dick and Alfred. Gordon has just been appointed Commissioner. All the major villains have already been established. Barbara's gradual evolution into Batgirl will be a significant subplot.

Honestly, I don't think that a hard reboot starting at the very beginning is the answer. Too many profitable characters left off the table.

Another option would be to launch different books set in different eras, not unlike the rumors/reports about 5G in principle. Have a batman book set during the early days with just him. Have one set while Dick is Robin and Babs is just starting as Batgirl. Have one set with Tim as robin. Have one set in the "present".