Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

They just need to do it Ultimate Marvel style. Two to three or four books and don’t do a massive line reboot.

I’d do it something like this... Ultimate Batman Starts from day one. Let him grow into the character like Ultimate Spider-Man did.

The other three Ultimate books, The League without the core JLA. Use versions of Beetle, Booster Gold, Ice, Fire, Bloodwynn, etc, etc, but make em more modern/badass. Use that book to introduce Wonder Woman and Superman like Ultimates did with Captain America.

A Titans book along the lines of Ultimate X-Men. Maybe in this universe, Dick was Nightwing from day-one, never being a Tobin. That way Jason could be the first Robin, die, and to prove to a rice it’s a bad idea for kid-side kicks. It could be tied to the Batbooks with Barbara Gordon doing the whole Bat-girl thing down the line, and going to the Titans after Bruce demands she stop. This would be a way to bring Dick back to Gotham where he would eventually meet Bruce. Maybe years down the road, Bruce can revisit the side-kick angle with Cass, Tim and Duke.

What is this 'if' talk? Of course they are going to reboot again in the future. It's just a matter of 'when'. Does anybody seriously think the 5G stuff would last beyond a couple of years before they decide to start rebooting it again?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What is this 'if' talk? Of course they are going to reboot again in the future. It's just a matter of 'when'. Does anybody seriously think the 5G stuff would last beyond a couple of years before they decide to start rebooting it again?
    We're talking about a complete reboot where DC starts everything over from scratch and not the half assed reboots they always have done like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Flashpoint/The New 52 where they rebooted some things and didn't reboot others.

I'm not advocating a hard reboot, but if they did one I'd say start at the end of Year One (ish), with Robin recently debuted and Batgirl next up. This would also allow for a JLA right away and a first Teen Titans in the near future.

One of my biggest complaints about reboots is having to sit through the origins all over again. We all know them, and mostly don't want them drastically redone.
    I want to get on with the story versus staring at my navel watching the Waynes die again in the alley and Krypton explode. There's no drama in that because we know what's coming. I say start "early" if there's a reboot, but not at the very very beginning.

God willing 5G won't be the frankenstein monster of continuity retread of COIE its shaping up to be.

Just make an Earth 5G and give the current Nu/New Earth hybrid a send-of. It's what Gardner Fox would have wanted.

1. I'm a sucker for legacy numbering, so hopefully never.

2. Hit the ground running with Dick already as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    We're talking about a complete reboot where DC starts everything over from scratch and not the half assed reboots they always have done like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Flashpoint/The New 52 where they rebooted some things and didn't reboot others.
    What made the pre-Crisis multiverse work for decades was that it was a natural metaphor for how people read the comics. The Flash and Green Lantern of the 40's didn't vanish in a poof of cosmic fire. They were always on the shelf as if they were another world away. Reboots like COIE and Nu that want to pave over old continuity and build a new version on top invariably collapse because you can't just make people forget about decades of history, especially not in this day and age where information is a mouseclick away.

The most graceful and elegant solution has always been "make another Earth." You don't see Digimon nuking the previous continuity when they make a new season.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I'm not advocating a hard reboot, but if they did one I'd say start at the end of Year One (ish), with Robin recently debuted and Batgirl next up. This would also allow for a JLA right away and a first Teen Titans in the near future.

One of my biggest complaints about reboots is having to sit through the origins all over again. We all know them, and mostly don't want them drastically redone.
    I want to get on with the story versus staring at my navel watching the Waynes die again in the alley and Krypton explode. There's no drama in that because we know what's coming. I say start "early" if there's a reboot, but not at the very very beginning.
    Most of us agree with you. See the second post in this thread.

What is so sacred about Year 1? What's wrong with Year 3½? or Year 4¼? Year 2¾?

We want a return to the classic status quo:

Batman, Robin & Batgirl

with classic supporting cast
    with classic villains

Same deal for Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and etcetera.

JLA been around for a short while...

Teen Titans been around for a shorter while...

We don't need origins again...or ever. We know these characters.

BANNED

DC lost me with so many bad desicion... i don't give crap anymore, no matter what they do, i won't be back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    DC lost me with so many bad desicion... i don't give crap anymore, no matter what they do, i won't be back.
    I understand completely.

I am collecting 4 titles...soon to be 2 titles.

I always love the characters...but I do not enjoy the stories anymore.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Most of us agree with you. See the second post in this thread.

What is so sacred about Year 1? What's wrong with Year 3½? or Year 4¼? Year 2¾?

We want a return to the classic status quo:

Batman, Robin & Batgirl

with classic supporting cast
    with classic villains

Same deal for Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and etcetera.

JLA been around for a short while...

Teen Titans been around for a shorter while...

We don't need origins again...or ever. We know these characters.
    Year One is just that good, there's been no better origin so far. Snyder tried but he's too bombastic and epic for people's taste for the simple but effective. His Riddler especially is too good for a first villain's debut that other future Riddler can't catch up. I like epic but his story is a better fit for a movie where the villains only appear once than the retroactive beginning of an eternal ongoing.

Year Two was retconned because DC always flip flop on Joe Chill's status. He discovered Batman's identity and died in this one.

Year Three was retconned because they think Robin Year One or Dark Victory is better. I've only read Dark Victory so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    We don't need another origin story. We don't need to be reintroduced to the classic supporting characters or the classic villains.
    If that is the case, then there is no reason to even bother with a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    They just need to do it Ultimate Marvel style. Two to three or four books and don’t do a massive line reboot.

I’d do it something like this... Ultimate Batman Starts from day one. Let him grow into the character like Ultimate Spider-Man did.

The other three Ultimate books, The League without the core JLA. Use versions of Beetle, Booster Gold, Ice, Fire, Bloodwynn, etc, etc, but make em more modern/badass. Use that book to introduce Wonder Woman and Superman like Ultimates did with Captain America.

A Titans book along the lines of Ultimate X-Men. Maybe in this universe, Dick was Nightwing from day-one, never being a Tobin. That way Jason could be the first Robin, die, and to prove to a rice it’s a bad idea for kid-side kicks. It could be tied to the Batbooks with Barbara Gordon doing the whole Bat-girl thing down the line, and going to the Titans after Bruce demands she stop. This would be a way to bring Dick back to Gotham where he would eventually meet Bruce. Maybe years down the road, Bruce can revisit the side-kick angle with Cass, Tim and Duke.
    I'd support this.

Incredible Member

Instead of starting from an origin, just start from a recognizable status quo.

Start from the one universal in Bat-fandom — Batman The Animated Series, with Batman, Robin, Batgirl — and from there do a Teen/Mature-rated book rather than all-ages "Adventures" style as an ongoing new universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    DC doesn't really have much Characters that sell books
    I think it’s more that a lot of fans aren’t actually buying books.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    "When will this character get introduced or this character?"
    True, but even with a reboot you should consider using all of the characters you have available to you.