Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default How does Marvel comics exist in the Arrow-verse?

So Batwoman just made a reference to Captain America and a previous episode of Legends made a reference to Spider-Man. So...how is this possible? Superman is the one who created the term superhero. So where did they come from in the Arrow-verse?
    Assassinate Putin!

Superman didn’t create the term superhero.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp

He popularized it, but it’s not out of the question for superhero comics to evolve in a DC world.
    There were characters in print prior to Superman, many of which were used as inspiration when creating the man of steel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...an-before/amp/
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-19-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

Mighty Member

I think the Iron Man movies was mentioned by Felicity in one of the seasons of Arrow.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And Elongated Man was using his elasticizing abilities to swing around Central City like he was Spider-Man in Season 5, which also had an episode where a character referenced Spider-Man's famous mantra, "With great power, there must also come great responsibility." Hell, if I recall, Grant Gustin, better known as Barry Allen, wanted to play Spider-Man at one point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So Batwoman just made a reference to Captain America and a previous episode of Legends made a reference to Spider-Man. So...how is this possible? Superman is the one who created the term superhero. So where did they come from in the Arrow-verse?
    Why would Marvel comics not exist in the Arrowverse? Comics of some kind must exist and DC comics would be based upon real life adventures of those heroes, so of course Marvel comics would exist.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Possibly in the DC universe, Marvel did also arise, but the absence of the DC Universe in the comics land lead to differences in the publications that go beyond the what we see in the shows.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think Marvel has referenced the existence of DC characters a few times, although I'm not sure if they've ever done it in the movies.

I remember an early episode of Smallville and probably some CW shows where a smart person was called a braniac and this was before Braniac showed up on Smallville. I am pretty sure that braniac became such a term because of the DC character yet they still used it in the shows.

That's kind of like, in the comics, retconning that the song "Iron-Man" inspired Tony Stark to choose that name when, in the real world, it was the existence of Iron-Man that caused the song.
    Power with Girl is better.

It's funny that DC Comics exists within the Arrowverse, too, or at least in the Pre-Crisis multiverse. Black Lightning saw two Supermen and was in disbelief that they existed IRL.

Post-Crisis remains to be seen, though.

BANNED

it's a pop culture reference on the cw

the "power and responsibility" speech from Connor to Mia was super cringe-worthy though

Killer frost made A Hulk joke too. It's just a bit of fun, your being way to critical. My favorite cross company joke outside of all Deadpools constant shitting on BvS and Green Lantern is Lego Batman. The Ironman sucks password had me dying in that movie.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I just think it's interesting that Marvel followed the exact same path in the Arrow-verse that it did in the real world. Right down to the MCU. The reference was a specific reference to Chris Evans. And, yeah, Black Lightning having Superman exist in his universe but not any other characters is kind of weird.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Alternatively, Tex Thompson (aka Mister America aka the Americommando) was given the rank of captain and is sometimes known as "Captain America"--and Chris Evans played him in a 2011 biopic on Earth-Prime.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I remember an early episode of Smallville and probably some CW shows where a smart person was called a braniac and this was before Braniac showed up on Smallville. I am pretty sure that braniac became such a term because of the DC character yet they still used it in the shows.

That's kind of like, in the comics, retconning that the song "Iron-Man" inspired Tony Stark to choose that name when, in the real world, it was the existence of Iron-Man that caused the song.
    If you're referring to the Black Sabbath song, there is no connection between the two.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua