20 57.14%
  • Star Wars:The Force Awakens (2015)

9 25.71%
  • I like both

5 14.29%
  • I hate both

1 2.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Star Trek (2009) vs Star Wars:The Force Awakens (2015)

Which JJ Abrams Reboot or resurrect dead franchise movie did you find better?

Honestly I was not going to put a poll in this thread because I have been on cbr long enough to know some by default will automatically vote force awakens because they want to support Disney as Disney owns many franchises they also like but whatever in the conflict of interest. The poll is for fun. I will be more interested in reading replies on how both movies measures up artistically especially from hard core science fiction and fantasy fans

For me its a no brainer, as a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, its Star Trek 2009, not only is it a better made film regardless of the lens flares, the story is a lot more original, the new alternate young cast all nailed their roles playing this iconic characters of Kirk, Spock, Pike, McCoy, Chekov, Scotty , Sulu and Uhura, the visual effects and make up were more ground breaking, it had some good science fiction with black holes and time travel, it was a movie that took a lot of rissk that paid off. Although the villain's (Nero) arc could was a little dense, I still liked the originally take of him to Snoke, who was a Palpatine rip off. Also who can forget. ''Hi Christopher, Am Nero''. That was gold.

I found the Force Awakens to be blah, still don't like Rey, Harrison Ford phones in his performance compared to Leonard Nimoy. Luke is wasted. I found the story boring before even discovering it was a new hope redone. Overall Force awakens is too soaked in manufactured cooperate film grease, its a soulless movie that cashed in on the most legendary movie franchise.

Lastly this scene from Star Trek 2009, when the Enterprise drops out of wrap to fire at the Narada is the greatest space battle moment of the last two decades ever put on film. nothing in the star wars ST trilogy comes closes.

Can I also say, Force Awakens made it a lot more difficult to have a good sequel because the story did not have much to build on,Since it already wasted Luke and set up rey as a mini Mary Sue force God. Rian Johnson just had to do his own thing unlike Star trek 2009 that just made the unfortunate mistake of rehashing Khan in the sequel.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 02-03-2020 at 03:59 AM.

BANNED

"because I have been on cbr long enough to know some by default will automatically vote force awakens because they want to support Disney as Disney owns many franchises they also like but whatever in the conflict of interest."

And I could say the same About you because you would vote Star Trek, because of your proven again and again Anti-Disney Bias.

Honestly i preferred Force Awakens but I'm a bigger Star Wars fan. I thought the time travel aspect was a neat way of doing fanservice/rebooting but not really necessary. I would have just preferred a new cast, a new ship etc.

I liked both. Both each have one clunker movie as well: Last of the Jedi and Beyond.

I thought Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker were great and loved the new characters of Rey and Finn.

Star Trek was good too with a great cast. My biggest complaint was they were too loose with the science liking transporters being used across light years of space. It was done for plot convenience which is how a lot of bad story telling decisions happen.

Honestly, I liked them both. But I voted for The Force Awakens because it had much better villains. You had Kylo Ren, the mystery of Snoke, and even Hux was enjoyable for a one-note villain.

Meanwhile on Star Trek, you had Nero, who just came off as flat. You barely got any real backstory for him, other than Romulus was destroyed and he blames Spock, and you had to dig into ancillary material to find out any more. Plus, the movie felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek.

Outside of that, both movies had great casts with great acting for the most part, and the visual FX were top notch.

I dislike both.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

I am a bigger Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan, so I like Star Trek 09 better than Force Awakens when I first saw it. I actually equally hate Force Awakens and Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason, both of those films just rip off better films, 09 Star Trek is not as bad with its nostalgia pandering.

I often said before he got Star Wars that Star Trek 09 was JJ's take on Star Wars.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Star Trek 09 by a mile.

Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the crew are all a joy to watch. The action is exciting throughout. The music is great. The humor lands. Leonard Nimoy really adds so much in his cameo. The plot is dumb and the villain subpar, but those don't matter.

Force Awakens starts out strong but has a truly awful final act.

Last Jedi>Into Darkness. Too much stupid and insufferable Kirk in Into Darkness, plus the movie plays it way too safe, while Hamil delivers the best live action performance of his life and for whatever it's flaws, the movie had real themes and took real risks. Both have good action.

Beyond>Rise of Skywalker. Beyond is the best Star Trek movie since Undiscovered Country and just a fantastic and fun film, while Rise is bad fanfiction.

Star Wars. But then I'm a bigger Star Wars fan than Trek, and unlike some here I love me some fan pandering nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I am a bigger Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan, so I like Star Trek 09 better than Force Awakens when I first saw it. I actually equally hate Force Awakens and Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason, both of those films just rip off better films, 09 Star Trek is not as bad with its nostalgia pandering.
    I think force awakens is slightly better than into darkness. into darkness really annoyed me. force awakens was just soulless but not entirely annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Same, much bigger Trek fan. I don't hate Force Awakens, though, but it's so derivative and doesn't have enough new ideas. Hate Into Darkness, however.

Force Awakens easily; think the story was better and was thematically better connected to its franchise (I don't think Abrams "got" Star Trek and it shows; Beyond was what the previous two should have been). I also think TFA having new characters and returning ones being played by the original actors helped a lot (they didn't have to compete with the originals like the '09 cast did, something only Karl Urban was truly successful at).

It's interesting how the two are pretty similar in terms of being a simple, character-centric story, which I think plays to Abrams' strengths (both of his second films in those series suffered from being overstuffed plots that didn't quite come together, although I think Rise of Skywalker worked far better then Into Darkness did). However, Star Trek '09 was written as a reimagining of its franchise while TFA was made as a continuation and I think that the latter turned out to be more meaningful. It certainly kickstarted a more successful revival of its franchise.

(FYI: I'm more of a Trekkie then a Star Wars person.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

HM, Nice to see star trek 2009 slaying the poll. its going to go down as JJ most artistic movie. it shocking how both movies reveal the difference between a manufactured made movie and a director driven movie.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Star Trek 2009. Not even a contest in my books

It had the better story, characters, actors, pacing, and villains.

The Force Awakens? I'm in the crowd that will say it was a stale remake of A New Hope. Everything felt bland. No passion, most of the cast was forgettable, tried too hard with Rey.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-05-2020 at 03:21 PM.