Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

then, someone else will comment?

Quote Originally Posted by snoke123 View Post
    then, someone else will comment?
    The fight is Poseidon has to destroy all militaries.

If it were the opposite, the militaries would have to destroy the world, do something with nukes and get the oceans to boil away. There are global warming scenarios involving "Venusification" so this may be possible. But not, I would think, without significant prep, before Poseidon wrecks them all.

But I gather the militaries don't exactly have to destroy him, just endure? Problematic because, as has been pointed out, Poseidon can affect the land with earthquakes.

So yeah, the militaries are toast unless they can enlist other gods as allies, which we don't really allow in these kinds of matches. Not unless one of the combatants is known for spells of summoning or gates or something like that. Fictional militaries sometimes have these, but hopefully our own don't.

Looking at the amount of evil in the world, though, I sometimes wonder....

One caveat here: space-based weapons. Are there sky nukes or death rays up there? No idea, and no idea if Poseidon can withstand a directed energy weapon, if we even have them, if we could even target him if we got 'em.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-23-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling mistake oops!

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    So yeah, the militaries are toast unless they can enlist other gods as allies, which we don't really allow in these kinds of matches. Not unless one of the combatants is known for spells of summoning or gates or something like that. Fictional militaries sometimes have these, but hopefully our own don't.
    Well that's because the MunchKING is too busy running So Asbena. I could give them a good rate on an Odin or Leviathan if they ask though.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

BANNED

There fight is Poseidon has to destroy all militaries.

If it were the opposite, the militaries would have to destroy the world, do something with nukes and get the oceans to boil away. There are global warming scenarios involving "Venusification" so this may be possible. But not, I would think, without significant prep, before Poseidon wrecks them all.

But I gather the militaries don't exactly have to destroy him, just endure? Problematic because, as has been pointed out, Poseidon can affect the land with earthquakes.

Looking at the amount of evil in the world, though, I sometimes wonder....

One caveat here: space-based weapons. Are there sky nukes or death rays up there? No idea, and no idea if Poseidon can withstand a directed energy weapon, if we even have them, if we could even target him if we got 'em.
    ok, how will they know who is poseidon? (because he can disguise himself as anything) and worse how are they going to locate the poseidon on the seabed? (where he has total and absolute control)

ok, how will they know who is poseidon? (because he can disguise himself as anything) and worse how are they going to locate the poseidon on the seabed? (where he has total and absolute control)
    Yes, ergo this:

...if we could even target him if we got 'em.
    He'd have to get overconfident, show up visibly, perhaps in giant form, be detected by spy satellite, and then one of the DEWs would have to be overhead or close.

And even then, the installation controlling the DEW satellite would have to have not been destroyed by an earthquake.

And then his durability would have to be weaker than the death ray.

Thing is, Poseidon knows there are tactical nukes. If he can't tank a tactical nuke, he doesn't show up in person. And if he can tank a tactical nuke, well heck, maybe he tanks the DEW too.

So Team Human is not really offered good betting odds here.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

On top of that, Olympian immortals are, you know, generally considered to be immortal to the real definition of the term. Not just "live forever without violent end" but "they can't die." Cronus ate all of Zeus' brother and sisters, and they stayed in his stomach for, at the very least, some long number of years. They were just fine thanks, when Zeus came back, kicked Daddy's ass, and cut them out. Zeus & Co. couldn't kill the Titans - they had to imprison them in Tartarus. Prometheus was chained to a rock with magical unbreakable chains by Zeus & Co., to have his liver eaten out of his body every day forever. It just grew back.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

But can't we use WMDs on him? Would they even be effective?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Sonic View Post
    But can't we use WMDs on him? Would they even be effective?
    no, read the other answers.

no, read the other answers.
    When you made the thread, did you think he could be hurt by WMD's or no?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    On top of that, Olympian immortals are, you know, generally considered to be immortal to the real definition of the term. Not just "live forever without violent end" but "they can't die."
    Well I assumed "Blowing him into component chunks so it takes him a long time to come back" would count as a win. Granted in 100 years when he pulls himself back together he's NOT going to be happy, but that's the next gen's problem.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Poseidon can make earthquakes as well. Just throwing that out there.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Poseidon can make earthquakes as well. Just throwing that out there.
    Been mentioned over and over in the thread already. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Considering that Poseidon is a truly immortal shapeshift who can readily generate tsunamis and earthquakes, it's just a matter of time before he eventually kills all modern military forces. The only way to deny him victory would involve at least one soldier staying alive. Even if there were military personnel on a space station, they can't stay there indefinitely due to the long-term health issues caused by low gravity, so he could wait them out.

By the way, a very interesting scenario along these lines is addressed in the book Age of Zeus, by James Lovegrove.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Been mentioned over and over in the thread already. :-)
    Well it bears repeating. Hopefully.

Poseidon was (probably) head god of Mycenaean Greece. His vthonic nature was deal back then, while Zeus was just some sky guy.

The earth shaker thing is.one of the few remanants of that by the classical period. And the horses.

Astonishing Member

Ironically I could see the military having a much easier time with Zeus.