Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    40

    Default All modern Military vs poseidon

    Can Poseidon (Mythology) Kill All Modern Military?

  2. #2
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    He can wreck the navies in fairly short order or at the very least make them completely unable to navigate. Land based military might be a bit trickier, but ultimately he can probably obliterate all coastal cities and ruin ocean travel (and take out the big trans-ocean internet cable thing), which, if it doesn't destroy modern civilisation, fucks it hard enough that we don't have the resources to support our militaries and they slowly atrophy. Don't know that we have any real way of attacking Poseidon.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  3. #3
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Munch, Capital of So Asbena
    Posts
    4,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    He can wreck the navies in fairly short order or at the very least make them completely unable to navigate. Land based military might be a bit trickier, but ultimately he can probably obliterate all coastal cities and ruin ocean travel (and take out the big trans-ocean internet cable thing), which, if it doesn't destroy modern civilisation, fucks it hard enough that we don't have the resources to support our militaries and they slowly atrophy. Don't know that we have any real way of attacking Poseidon.
    He's also a big believer in Earthquakes, at least according to Scion and Percy Jackson. SO he can probably wreck stuff fairly far inland if he decides these mortals really deserve it.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

  4. #4
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Yeah, I'm working off my memory of a very basic few of his feats here, so I'm sure there's more he can do. I mean, to be fair, it's probably within his capacity to drown the whole world if he feels like it.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  5. #5
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,910

    Default

    Earthquakes are his bread and butter: Homer called him "shaker of earth" or some such. He can do a lot of damage here, and there is no hitting back at him, really.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  6. #6

    Default

    Are we even allowed to debate mythological Poseidon and not some Hollywood version of him?

    Edit: Pretty sure a Samson thread was just closed for invoking a "real" deity.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  7. #7
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Are we even allowed to debate mythological Poseidon and not some Hollywood version of him?

    Edit: Pretty sure a Samson thread was just closed for invoking a "real" deity.
    I'm fairly sure things like mythological Greek Deities are fine. It's the 'currently being worshiped religions' that are in the no-fly zone. <-- this is how I always called it.

    But I could be wrong.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

    "...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers." - Estrecca

    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik Hasta

    "[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman." - Pendaran

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm fairly sure things like mythological Greek Deities are fine. It's the 'currently being worshiped religions' that are in the no-fly zone. <-- this is how I always called it.

    But I could be wrong.
    Works for me!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  9. #9
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Munch, Capital of So Asbena
    Posts
    4,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm fairly sure things like mythological Greek Deities are fine. It's the 'currently being worshiped religions' that are in the no-fly zone. <-- this is how I always called it.

    But I could be wrong.
    I don't know about the Theoi specifically, but I do know on other forums people have pointed out that a lot of "mythological" pantheons still have a nonzero number of worshippers, which is why I usually take care to mention that the version I know is Scion or something.

    But we saw how well trying to nail down Poseidon for a straight fight worked for Caligula.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.
    I mean he's probably going to stick to the bottom of the ocean sending out sea monsters and earthquakes and stuff. I remember he didn't need to be nearby to screw with Odysseus.

  12. #12
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I mean he's probably going to stick to the bottom of the ocean sending out sea monsters and earthquakes and stuff. I remember he didn't need to be nearby to screw with Odysseus.
    Screws over Odysseus without ever leaving his grotto.
    "I rhyme with tyre
    And cause pollution
    I think you'll find
    It's the best solution

    What Am I?"


    "And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

  13. #13
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.
    Diomedes did that with direct help from the gods. Like Angels In the Outfield levels of help.

    I mean he's probably going to stick to the bottom of the ocean sending out sea monsters and earthquakes and stuff. I remember he didn't need to be nearby to screw with Odysseus.
    Hell, speaking of the Iliad, Diomedes needed special vision to distinguish gods from men, so Poseidon could be off just being a guy somewhere.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 01-20-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  14. #14
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Diomedes did that with direct help from the gods. Like Angels In the Outfield levels of help.



    Hell, speaking of the Iliad, Diomedes needed special vision to distinguish gods from men, so Poseidon could be off just being a guy somewhere.
    This: during Diomedes' run there, Athena was directly energizing him, and she even acted as his chariot driver for a while, in disguise.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.
    well, if poseidon doesn't want to have a little fun with sea monsters and earthquakes. I foresee him sending one of these here:



    early on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •