Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default All modern Military vs poseidon

Can Poseidon (Mythology) Kill All Modern Military?

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

He can wreck the navies in fairly short order or at the very least make them completely unable to navigate. Land based military might be a bit trickier, but ultimately he can probably obliterate all coastal cities and ruin ocean travel (and take out the big trans-ocean internet cable thing), which, if it doesn't destroy modern civilisation, fucks it hard enough that we don't have the resources to support our militaries and they slowly atrophy. Don't know that we have any real way of attacking Poseidon.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    He can wreck the navies in fairly short order or at the very least make them completely unable to navigate. Land based military might be a bit trickier, but ultimately he can probably obliterate all coastal cities and ruin ocean travel (and take out the big trans-ocean internet cable thing), which, if it doesn't destroy modern civilisation, fucks it hard enough that we don't have the resources to support our militaries and they slowly atrophy. Don't know that we have any real way of attacking Poseidon.
    He's also a big believer in Earthquakes, at least according to Scion and Percy Jackson. SO he can probably wreck stuff fairly far inland if he decides these mortals really deserve it.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Yeah, I'm working off my memory of a very basic few of his feats here, so I'm sure there's more he can do. I mean, to be fair, it's probably within his capacity to drown the whole world if he feels like it.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Earthquakes are his bread and butter: Homer called him "shaker of earth" or some such. He can do a lot of damage here, and there is no hitting back at him, really.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Are we even allowed to debate mythological Poseidon and not some Hollywood version of him?

Edit: Pretty sure a Samson thread was just closed for invoking a "real" deity.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Are we even allowed to debate mythological Poseidon and not some Hollywood version of him?

Edit: Pretty sure a Samson thread was just closed for invoking a "real" deity.
    I'm fairly sure things like mythological Greek Deities are fine. It's the 'currently being worshiped religions' that are in the no-fly zone. <-- this is how I always called it.

But I could be wrong.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm fairly sure things like mythological Greek Deities are fine. It's the 'currently being worshiped religions' that are in the no-fly zone. <-- this is how I always called it.

But I could be wrong.
    Works for me!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

But I could be wrong.
    I don't know about the Theoi specifically, but I do know on other forums people have pointed out that a lot of "mythological" pantheons still have a nonzero number of worshippers, which is why I usually take care to mention that the version I know is Scion or something.

But we saw how well trying to nail down Poseidon for a straight fight worked for Caligula.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Astonishing Member

Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Diomedes hurt Olympians in the Iliad. Does that imply they can take physical damage from humans? If so, and a spear can be stuck in them - if you can find Poseidon, a nuke might spoil his afternoon.
    I mean he's probably going to stick to the bottom of the ocean sending out sea monsters and earthquakes and stuff. I remember he didn't need to be nearby to screw with Odysseus.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I mean he's probably going to stick to the bottom of the ocean sending out sea monsters and earthquakes and stuff. I remember he didn't need to be nearby to screw with Odysseus.
    Screws over Odysseus without ever leaving his grotto.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Diomedes did that with direct help from the gods. Like Angels In the Outfield levels of help.

Hell, speaking of the Iliad, Diomedes needed special vision to distinguish gods from men, so Poseidon could be off just being a guy somewhere.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 01-20-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Diomedes did that with direct help from the gods. Like Angels In the Outfield levels of help.

Hell, speaking of the Iliad, Diomedes needed special vision to distinguish gods from men, so Poseidon could be off just being a guy somewhere.
    This: during Diomedes' run there, Athena was directly energizing him, and she even acted as his chariot driver for a while, in disguise.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

BANNED

well, if poseidon doesn't want to have a little fun with sea monsters and earthquakes. I foresee him sending one of these here:

early on