Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Ironically I could see the military having a much easier time with Zeus.
    I dunno about having a much easier time against Typhon pwning (Typhon being a monster so large his head brushed the stars), mountain shattering, self professed (and, IIRC. agreed upon by Poseidon himself) strongest of the gods. And they still have no way of actually tracking a shapeshifting god that hits things with lightning bolts.

Might be slightly easier to hold out longer than against Poseidon.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

To be honest, I'm not sure how necessary hiding really is. Generally these guys can become abstract things like storms, and plenty of them have thrown around power far in excess of what a nuke can do. That's to say nothing of the possibility that Poseidon might just have outright authority over what mortals can actually do in this scenario, since a general feature of Greek myth is that you only really get anything done with the gods' help. Trying to launch missiles at a guy who can mess with navigation seems like a really bad idea too.

For his part, Zeus can absolutely flood the whole world.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    I dunno about having a much easier time against Typhon pwning (Typhon being a monster so large his head brushed the stars), mountain shattering, self professed (and, IIRC. agreed upon by Poseidon himself) strongest of the gods. And they still have no way of actually tracking a shapeshifting god that hits things with lightning bolts.

Just saying Zeus wouldn't be attacking from one of the most difficult-to-get-to parts of the planet.

BANNED

Ironically I could see the military having a much easier time with Zeus.
    why? what is zeus different from poseidon?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post

Zeus is, canonically, stronger than all of the other untrapped gods (Daddy might still generally be out of his reach without help) put together.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Zeus is, canonically, stronger than all of the other untrapped gods (Daddy might still generally be out of his reach without help) put together.
    I don't know about the original myths, but in both Percy Jackson and Scion, Poseidon and Hades are in his weight class. Maybe he's a good bit stronger than either of them alone, but as the Big 3 dudes descended from Chronos, they are all pretty close in power.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I don't know about the original myths, but in both Percy Jackson and Scion, Poseidon and Hades are in his weight class. Maybe he's a good bit stronger than either of them alone, but as the Big 3 dudes descended from Chronos, they are all pretty close in power.
    Going back to the Illiad, Zeus had initially told the gods not to help. But Greek gods are fractious whelps, and hell, they figured Daddy/brother/uncle dear wasn't looking anyway. So Zeus calls them all up to the very top of Olympus. And there, he tells every one of them to stay the hell out of it: he's now watching, and if anyone interferes, they will either be coming back to Olympus badly broken from lightning, or not at all, as he'll stuff them in Tartarus and leave them there, as he did the Titans. He explicitly states that he's the strongest by far, and they they all know it. He then says "if you doubt this, let's have a test: I'll conjure an unbreakable rope. All of you, those on my side an those not, can pull against me. But I won't move. I'll use one arm, and I'll pull you all towards me, because I'm the baddest mofo on this mountaintop."

And they do believe him... none of them dare challenge him or otherwise look askance, they are all trembling and whining after this threat, and they actually do stop interfering.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Going back to the Illiad, Zeus had initially told the gods not to help. But Greek gods are fractious whelps, and hell, they figured Daddy/brother/uncle dear wasn't looking anyway. So Zeus calls them all up to the very top of Olympus. And there, he tells every one of them to stay the hell out of it: he's now watching, and if anyone interferes, they will either be coming back to Olympus badly broken from lightning, or not at all, as he'll stuff them in Tartarus and leave them there, as he did the Titans. He explicitly states that he's the strongest by far, and they they all know it. He then says "if you doubt this, let's have a test: I'll conjure an unbreakable rope. All of you, those on my side an those not, can pull against me. But I won't move. I'll use one arm, and I'll pull you all towards me, because I'm the baddest mofo on this mountaintop."

And they do believe him... none of them dare challenge him or otherwise look askance, they are all trembling and whining after this threat, and they actually do stop interfering.
    Poseidon must not have gotten the memo because he kept dicking with Odysseus both during and after the war.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

IIRC, Zeus told them to back off for the last few days of the war (with Poseidon sneaking in some stuff while Zeus sleeps), but ultimately wound up giving them the go ahead to go nuts.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Poseidon must not have gotten the memo because he kept dicking with Odysseus both during and after the war.
    Nope, he stopped for a period of time, and it's during that time that the Acheans were getting beaten back.

He also only held this up for a short period of time.

There's plenty more back story: basically, Zeus had a couple of promises he'd made and was trying to uphold them. He'd promised Thetis, a nymph and Achilles' mom, that Achilles would be known as the greatest hero ever after the conflict. That of course meant that Athena, for example, had to stop juicing Diomedes. Same thing true for many others. It also meant that the results couldn't be rigged - which the gods were definitely doing. He also frankly preferred the Trojan side a bit. He also didn't want to listen to kids complain: Ares whined like a bitch after taking a spear from Diomedes, something that could ONLY happen because Athena was mainline juicing him. And Aphrodite was injured by Diomedes as well. This annoyed big Z. Finally he really wanted to see the outcome. And no, Poseidon most certainly didn't dick with Odysseus during much of the conflict, and definitely not after his brother told him to calm the f&é* down. He absolutely did on the trip home.

Basically, after the scene I described above, Athena begs Zeus (using flattery and her status as his favorite kid) for permission to give the Acheans advice. She says "sorry about all the god juice we were giving them, we'll stop, but they will all die without our help, and you wouldn't want that either, would you Papa? Can we please please please just whisper some sweet nothings in their ears?"

Zeus relents - basically saying "sorry I had to go all Cartman on you guys (you will respect my aut-or-it-eye), I could never really be mad at you." And says fine, you can give advice, but no more juicing. Eventually he stops caring, and the arrogance of mortal on both sides compels him to say "fine, whatever."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    When you made the thread, did you think he could be hurt by WMD's or no?
    do not know