Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Is Edward faster than the other Twilight vampires or is speed a generic trait that they all share? If it's the latter I propose that Edward's car-blocking scene in Twilight 1 is an outlier seeing as the wolves seemed to travel just as fast vampires, and the wolves didn't seem to be running at supersonic speeds.
    The Wolves definitely moved at super speed in the books. Clearing large fields in brief moments and moving as blurs and such.

Edward was described as a /little/ faster then other vampires. Just like how Emmet was a little stronger. He didn't blow them out of the water but had a slight edge.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Is Edward faster than the other Twilight vampires or is speed a generic trait that they all share? If it's the latter I propose that Edward's car-blocking scene in Twilight 1 is an outlier seeing as the wolves seemed to travel just as fast vampires, and the wolves didn't seem to be running at supersonic speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The Wolves definitely moved at super speed in the books. Clearing large fields in brief moments and moving as blurs and such.

Edward was described as a /little/ faster then other vampires. Just like how Emmet was a little stronger. He didn't blow them out of the water but had a slight edge.
    This. Recall that the movies aren't primary canon, and that's what we're working with, here. So it's the book stuff, and yeah, the wolves are supernaturally fast in the books.

Also, the other vampires in the movies have their own 'blur/disappear' movement feats, as I recall (no, I'm not going back and watching them to see).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Clip, please.

I've seen clips that show Pietro running around at full speed and yeah, stuff is still moving around him. Just sloooowly.
    Also, Captain America managed to outrun some vehicles in the tunnel much further as seen in 1 screenshot of Civil War movie.
    Screen_Shot_2018-11-18_at_8.04.38_AM.jpg

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Also, Captain America managed to outrun some vehicles in the tunnel much further as seen in 1 screenshot of Civil War movie.
    That's not a clip or even the clip Sharpandpointies asked for.

You claimed Ultron could react to Quicksilver going at full speed, Sharp asked for a clip.

Please provide the clip proving your claim.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

this is the closest i can find on youtube and even then, it's not saying what you are saying.

unless i missed something in the climax, this is the closest these two came to actually fighting each other.

Discussion of how Cap compares to Quicksilver aside, gonna save folks the trouble of going through Twilight here by posting some actual feats.

It does seem like the vampires have reaction times well in excess of their movement speed, but regardless, their movement speed is still faster than the eye can follow:

" Instinctively, unthinkingly, I leaned closer, inhaling.
    And he was gone, his hand ripped from mine. In the time it took my eyes to focus, he was twenty feet away, standing at the edge of the small meadow, in the deep shade of a huge fir tree. He stared at me, his eyes dark in the shadows, his expression unreadable."

Unexpectedly, he was on his feet, bounding away, instantly out of sight, only to appear beneath the same tree as before, having circled the meadow in half a second.

"As if you could outrun me," he laughed bitterly.
    Then Bella becomes a vampire and we get an idea of their reaction time:

After that first frozen second of shock, my body responded to the unfamiliar touch in a way that shocked me even more.
    Air hissed up my throat, spitting through my clenched teeth with a low, menacing sound like a swarm of bees. Before the sound was out, my muscles bunched and arched, twisting away from the unknown. I flipped off my back in a spin so fast it should have turned the room into an incomprehensible blur – but it did not. I saw every dust mote, every splinter in the wood-paneled walls, every loose thread in microscopic detail as my eyes whirled past them.
    So by the time I found myself crouched against the wall defensively – about a sixteenth of a second later – I already understood what had startled me, and that I had overreacted.
    Oh. Of course. Edward wouldn't feel cold to me. We were the same temperature now.
    I held my pose for an eighth of a second longer, adjusting to the scene before me.
    "How do you feel, Bella?" Carlisle asked.
    I considered that for a sixty-fourth of a second.
    "Overwhelmed. There's somuch. ..." I trailed off, listening to the bell-tone of my voice again.
    Unhindered by my skirt, it took only one long bound to reach the water's edge. Just an eighty-fourth of a second, and yet it was plenty of time – my eyes and my
    mind moved so quickly that one step was enough. It was simple to position my right foot just so against the flat stone and exert the adequate pressure to send my body wheeling up into the air. I was paying more attention to aim than force, and I erred on the amount of power necessary – but at least I didn't err on the side that would have gotten me wet. The fifty yard width was slightlytoo easy a distance
    Note that Edward is still faster than her:

He was faster than me. I couldn't imagine how he moved his legs with such blinding speed, but it was beyond me.
    So...yeah, they may not have bullet timing feats, but they should be able to react to bullets just fine.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Appreciated.

If she's 'considering' things for a sixty-fourth of a second...~0.0156 seconds...and when moving at full speed can see 'every dust mote', 'every loose thread'...

So, let's take a bullet travelling ~1000 feet per second. It's an arbitrary number, but it's close enough to a decent average for 9mm, .38 special, .45ACP etc. Ie, some pistol rounds. In the same amount of time it takes Bella to 'consider' an answer to a question -- not just blurt out a yes/no, not just 'react', but muse about something -- said bullet will travel somewhat under 16'.

And she's capable of seeing dust motes and individual threads when moving at full speed.

I'd say we're easily into 'bullet-time' speed.

Interesting that Edward is still faster than her, seemingly by quite a lot. Interesting because as a new vampire, as I understand, she should be physically superior to the others. If that's the case, I would say he would hold a sizeable speed advantage over the other vampires in the books.

I'll give Meyer one thing -- she grasps the idea that faster reactions and so forth might mean faster thought processes, not 'speed that needs to be turned on when someone isn't having a chat'. It's heavy-handed, but she pushes the idea that Bella is actually thinking far, far more quickly than humans do.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    That's not a clip or even the clip Sharpandpointies asked for.

You claimed Ultron could react to Quicksilver going at full speed, Sharp asked for a clip.

Please provide the clip proving your claim.
    I wasn't so sure if he could and i didn't even see Ultron reacting to Quicksilver's speed but he managed to keep up with Iron man who once used to fly at supersonic speeds while he's flying.

I wasn't so sure if he could and i didn't even see Ultron reacting to Quicksilver's speed but he managed to keep up with Iron man who once used to fly at supersonic speeds while he's flying.
    Okay then, provide a clip of Ultron reacting to Iron Man when he's clearly flying at multimach speed.

We're just asking for evidence.

Okay then, provide a clip of Ultron reacting to Iron Man when he's clearly flying at multimach speed.

We're just asking for evidence.
    Now here's Ultron flying faster than Iron Man.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Ultron flying at multimach speeds has nothing at all to do with REACTING to a multimach attack from close range after it fires.

You should really read the stickies on the first page of the forum.

Basically, we distinguish between travel speed and reaction speed. Being able to fly at lightspeed in open space doesn't necessarily give you the ability to react to something moving that fast at close range. Flying from the earth to the moon in a few seconds isn't "complicated" - it's point and go, and you wouldn't need particularly fast reactions to do it. Flying (or running) from Brooklyn to Jersey City in a couple of second at ground level passing straight through Manhattan without hitting anything would most definitely require extremely fast reactions, many orders of magnitude faster than human reactions, despite the actual speed to go from point A to point B involved being 10000x slower.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

That clip shows Ultron kicking Iron Man away behind him and then throwing a field at him and Tony catches up in short order.

Also, based on how the landmarks on the ground are passing beneath them, they aren't flying at multimach speeds.

Again, evidence of significantly enhanced reaction times?

That clip shows Ultron kicking Iron Man away behind him and then throwing a field at him and Tony catches up in short order.

Also, based on how the landmarks on the ground are passing beneath them, they aren't flying at multimach speeds.

Again, evidence of significantly enhanced reaction times?
    But Iron man has been shown to be flying at this speed.
    Last edited by Tyrannoraptor; 01-24-2020 at 08:20 AM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

we aren't asking how fast he can fly. we are asking for how fast can he REACT.

if tony was flying at that speed and then all of a sudden, a rock materializes 2 feet ahead of him, could tony move out of the way of said rock without hitting it at the speeds he is going?

Without looking at the clips, Imma take a guess here. Is it actually the case that:
    a) one clip shows Iron Man flying fast;
    b) another clip shows Ultron moving at a similar speed to Iron Man;
    c) there is nothing in the second clip to show that Iron Man is moving at the same speed there as he was in the first clip, so you can’t conflate the two situations.