Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 85
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Without Emma in all those situations mutants would br dead.

    Additionally, the Inhumans made things bad for mutants in IvX, Emma was actually anti Mothervine and she went along to save Havok. And Emma saved mutants in DoX.
    Of course they wouldn't. Marvel would never kill mutants because Emma couldn't save them

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member stormphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    California,Sacramento
    Posts
    5,072

    Default

    Personally, this was one of the weakest X-Men Monday articles I've ever read.
    Ororo Munroe(Bright Lady), Hadari Yao, The Cloud Runner, Goddess of the People.
    Goddess of the Storm.
    #StormsMootyPass
    #PlusUltra!!!
    #StormCaster
    The Piercing Light of AmunRa!!!!!
    MUTANT and PROUD
    #KRAKOA FOREVER

    #catchmutanthands

  3. #48
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    I don`t think in UTOPIA people followed Emma per se, they followed Scott and accepted Emma as part of the team because of her work with Generation X and her relationship with Scott, he cared about her and they respected that but I didn`t see them following her as a leader still I will agree that what Emma does very well is manage autorithy as CEO and headmistress of her school, she has done so during years and the X-men recognize that quality in her, even Jean and Storm despite their personal problems with her.

    I don`t think JDW disrespected Storm but I agree that she deserves more credit for her time as leader of the X-men, she`s very much my favorite X-men leader because she unites both heart and strategy to her leadership. In terms of leadership I think both her and Scott are equals but I like her approach a little more, it would be nice to see her in a leadership role once again and the context of Krakoa allows for this given even Mr Sinister is going to have his own team.

    About Magneto`s leadership: while I agree with JDW about not being a good showing of Magneto as a leader I disagree with him in that he isn`t fully aware of that Doug died under his care and he took it very hard it`s a shame they have not yet talked about that on panel.

    In defense of my boy Magneto I would argue he really didn`t want the role, it was imposed on him and the X-men by Charles without even asking any of them, this is pretty clear given his story with the team and the fact his first decision was to let all X-men matters to Storm and Cyclops, letting them decide who was going to be the next X-men leader their own way.

    But even in the case of Magneto and the New mutants he did two things right:
    1.- He reached out to Ilyana in the moment she needed it the most and with the support of her friends she was capable of managing her dark child persona.
    2.- He was willing to accept he may not have the best way of dealing with the horrible experience of the New mutants being killed by the beyonder and he wanted the best for them even if it meant letting them live with Emma and when he learned it was a trap he stayed with them, even fighting the Avengers on his own to get them back and helped them to get better with Emma`s help.

    After that I agree everything went downhill for both him and the New mutants, ending in him leaving the X-men.

    But those positive experiences with him are the ones the New mutants remember and that`s why they have a soft spot for him and while he also has a soft spot for them he has the actitude of "lets not do that ever again please" this was the reason he didn`t even try to lead the O5 despite sharing the same living space on X-men Blue. Magneto is more an idealogical/political leader and in those roles he does well but when it comes to field leadership his AoA role is still his best showing so far imo of course that`s an AU.

    tumblr_oh3qp19tWu1s5onj7o1_1280.jpg
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-20-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  4. #49
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I wish they would just admit that they don’t like Storm or respect her character and move on. An article published on MLK day highlighting the great X-leaders and Ororo is but an afterthought to Cyke, Logan, and Emma. The only positive reference to her being her and Cyke “feel like leaders”. What an absolute disgrace. Adventures in “Poor Taste” has never been a more apt moniker.
    you know I dodnt even read through the article because I felt it would bs and you confirmed what I thought. thanks for sparing me on reading this. i completely agree with your points. this is why diversity is so necessary because with lack of it we get things such as what you described in the article.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  5. #50
    Incredible Member Kitty&Piotr<3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I wish they would just admit that they don’t like Storm or respect her character and move on. An article published on MLK day highlighting the great X-leaders and Ororo is but an afterthought to Cyke, Logan, and Emma. The only positive reference to her being her and Cyke “feel like leaders”. What an absolute disgrace. Adventures in “Poor Taste” has never been a more apt moniker.
    What were you expecting? Storm hasn't had an overtly showy and positive story at all, let alone leadership story, since the 80s.

    "Leaders" was lowkey for "Cyclops".

    Anyway, lol at the Council being just for show.
    "Cyclops loves wilted roses because they remind him of dead redheads."
    -Gail

  6. #51
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,648

    Default

    Why would the New Mutants not remember Magneto’s time as headmaster fondly?? That was probably the only time they were actually allowed to be real teens and the only reason things were sour was because it ended horribly. And now that Emma, Shaw, and Selene are all on Krakoa, it seems silly to not consider Magneto’s temporary mentorship a positive with all things considered.

  7. #52
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Why would the New Mutants not remember Magneto’s time as headmaster fondly?? That was probably the only time they were actually allowed to be real teens and the only reason things were sour was because it ended horribly. And now that Emma, Shaw, and Selene are all on Krakoa, it seems silly to not consider Magneto’s temporary mentorship a positive with all things considered.
    You know what?, you are right I didn`t think about it that way before but yes, at the end he theated them like teenagers not X-men in training that was part of the problem because they thought he was holding them back but now that they are grow up they can appreciate what he was trying to do for them. I remember fondly how he tried to have them become friends with Emma`s hellions by going to a party to the Hellfire Club or how he scared the hell out of some boys who tried to abuse Dany, he scared them so much they went williinglly to the police to be arrested.

    I can see Jordan`s point no, they didn`t went to a lot of X-men adventures and most of them were made behind magneto`s back but the point is that he understood his duty to them in a different way charles did, he tried to give them a normal school life with it`s up`s and downs and that`s why they remember that time fondly despite how it ended.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-20-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  8. #53
    Incredible Member Ororo101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    What were you expecting? Storm hasn't had an overtly showy and positive story at all, let alone leadership story, since the 80s.

    "Leaders" was lowkey for "Cyclops".

    Anyway, lol at the Council being just for show.
    Respectfully, I disagree with this. Ororo has led the X-men many times since the 80’s, though that was her defining era to be sure. I don’t really think anyone can argue that when the term “X-men leaders” is brought up, the first thing that comes to most people’s minds are “Cyclops and Storm”. Not saying Cyclops doesn’t deserve his spot as #1 or the respect he was given in the article and in general. But to say you’re doing an X-men Monday in honor of one of our nation’s greatest leaders to “celebrate X-men leaders” and to not mention Storm except to say she’s had to step down and that her and Cyke “feel like leaders”? Is whack. That’s just my opinion.

  9. #54
    Incredible Member Kitty&Piotr<3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree with this. Ororo has led the X-men many times since the 80’s, though that was her defining era to be sure. I don’t really think anyone can argue that when the term “X-men leaders” is brought up, the first thing that comes to most people’s minds are “Cyclops and Storm”. Not saying Cyclops doesn’t deserve his spot as #1 or the respect he was given in the article and in general. But to say you’re doing an X-men Monday in honor of one of our nation’s greatest leaders to “celebrate X-men leaders” and to not mention Storm except to say she’s had to step down and that her and Cyke “feel like leaders”? Is whack. That’s just my opinion.
    I totally agree. I'm just saying, if it's been decades since she was close to being THE leader of the X-Men with any kind of positive connotation or success attached, and people have to beg for her to get even a random moment to show off in one panel, you already kinda knew she wasn't about to get much fanfare. You remember the editor bowing out when it was time for this column to focus on Storm a few months back, right?

    She's just not up there on the priority list.
    "Cyclops loves wilted roses because they remind him of dead redheads."
    -Gail

  10. #55
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    What were you expecting? Storm hasn't had an overtly showy and positive story at all, let alone leadership story, since the 80s.

    "Leaders" was lowkey for "Cyclops".

    Anyway, lol at the Council being just for show.
    When people think about a x-men leader, everyone thinks about Scott.

    Unfortunaly he had too much spotlight vs the others.

  11. #56
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    You know what?, you are right. I didn`t think about it that way before but yes, at the end he theated them like teenagers not X-men in training that was part of the problem because they thought he was holding them back but now that they are grow up they can appreciate what he was trying to do for them. I remember fondly how he tried to have them become friends with Emma`s hellions by going to a party to the Hellfire Club or how he scared the hell out of some boys who tried to abuse Dany, he scared them so much they went williinglly to the police to be arrested.

    I can see Jordan`s point no, they didn`t went to a lot of X-men adventures and most of them were made behind magneto`s back but the point is that he understood his duty to them in a different way charles did, he tried to give them a normal school life with it`s up`s and downs and that`s why they remember that time fondly despite how it ended.
    Yeah, that’s why I can’t really get how JDW interpreted it in such a drastic retelling from what we saw on-page. I’d even wager that the New Mutants should be closer to Magneto than they are to Xavier. The man abandoned them for a group of mutant, monolithic, motorcycle-brand merchandise. While the New Mutants were even willing to fight the Avengers to protect Magneto. Given that Hickman loves Magneto AND the New Mutants so much, I wish he’d write some sort of reunion between the two since they haven’t really interacted and Bendis probably didn’t read any New Mutants when he wrote Magik and Magneto together.




  12. #57
    Mighty Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yeah, that’s why I can’t really get how JDW interpreted it in such a drastic retelling from what we saw on-page. I’d even wager that the New Mutants should be closer to Magneto than they are to Xavier. The man abandoned them for a group of mutant, monolithic, motorcycle-brand merchandise. While the New Mutants were even willing to fight the Avengers to protect Magneto. Given that Hickman loves Magneto AND the New Mutants so much, I wish he’d write some sort of reunion between the two since they haven’t really interacted and Bendis probably didn’t read any New Mutants when he wrote Magik and Magneto together.



    Exactly I was like no mister White, sorry but magneto IS self aware and the new mutants do have fond memories of that time I am not making this up because it`s right there in the comics.

    You know I always felt like the New Mutants saw magneto as a foster father figure and they enjoyed making him go crazy while Charles was more like the distant headmaster of the house they lived in and Cable is the gruff uncle veteran who has seen too much who ocasionally takes them out to seek trouble.

    About Bendis oh boy yes, I waited for months just to see Magneto and Illyana talking about that time, just a panel would have been fine for me but no, lest bring dormamu instead.

    YES to Hickman making that relationship fresh again, you know given the New mutants solicits of them coming back to earth with the Shiar, Phalanx, etc going after them it would be nice to see a small panel of Magneto shaking his head and thinking: should have seen this coming while the New mutants are like: Hi teach long time not see. I don`t think I am asking much
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-20-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  13. #58
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Without Emma in all those situations mutants would br dead.

    Additionally, the Inhumans made things bad for mutants in IvX, Emma was actually anti Mothervine and she went along to save Havok. And Emma saved mutants in DoX.
    Whatttt?
    In IVsX she didnt save the mutants from nothing. Medusa destoryed the mist when she knew it was gonna reach a critical point. The only thing that she did was a kill a lot of people after the situation was resolved.

    In secret empire she didnt save nobody, New Tian was an Hydra Iniciative and HydraCap discussed it with Magneto, not Emma. She was choosen by HydraCap, I dont see how she saved someone there, New Tian was going to be created if not under Emma rule under another one.

    And she could be anti mothervine but the first test of Mothervine was organized by her in New Tian, She was very interested in it until she saw that Ms Sinister was fooling her.
    Last edited by hulkling; 01-20-2020 at 04:59 PM.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I wish they would just admit that they don’t like Storm or respect her character and move on. An article published on MLK day highlighting the great X-leaders and Ororo is but an afterthought to Cyke, Logan, and Emma. The only positive reference to her being her and Cyke “feel like leaders”. What an absolute disgrace. Adventures in “Poor Taste” has never been a more apt moniker.
    Quoted as the truth needs to keep being shared.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    CTRL F
    Sunspot
    Mirage
    Cannonball
    ........................

    Yeah, kinda expected it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •