Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel sales figures for December

Here they are:
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-12.html

Only one book, X-Men, sold over 100,000 copies. No other mutant title sold over 50,000 copies, but four mutant titles outsold Justice League.
    Doctor Strange had a good restart.
    Avengers and Savage Avengers both sold less than 40,000 copies. Not good.
    Captain Marvel is continuing to do better than other Captain Marvel runs.
    Interest in Star Wars titles is fading.

Eh, the whole Star Wars line is about to relaunch with new #1s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

New Mutants dropped off but is still steady. I remember it being the top-selling comic of November to my surprise. Still, both #3 and #4 sold close to 50k. I guess the Dawn of X sales are stabilizing -- X-Men will be the top seller of course, but the others will sell less but still consistent. Not too surprising, because Dawn of X had a massive hype train leading up to that caused all comics to sell super well, way better than they normally would.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Surprised by the drop off of most of the X-men tittles. I wonder how many will get axed before summer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Here they are:

Only one book, X-Men, sold over 100,000 copies. No other mutant title sold over 50,000 copies, but four mutant titles outsold Justice League.
    JL doing better than I expected tbh

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Here they are:

I think Dr. Strange was overshipped. Actually, it looks like there's quite a few Marvel titles that were overshipped. O_O

X-Men and Venom's dollars sales sort of look like that, but I think they look funky because of the high priced issues in the Top Ten.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-20-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    New Mutants dropped off but is still steady. I remember it being the top-selling comic of November to my surprise. Still, both #3 and #4 sold close to 50k. I guess the Dawn of X sales are stabilizing -- X-Men will be the top seller of course, but the others will sell less but still consistent. Not too surprising, because Dawn of X had a massive hype train leading up to that caused all comics to sell super well, way better than they normally would.
    Yeah they got a much needed boost but I don't think anyone was expecting those sales to last. The main title being #2 is still an impressive feat.

I'm a bit surprised by Immortal Hulk placing so low. I don't usually keep up with sales but I figured given the series acclaim it would sell better.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Curious, what sales number is considered cancellation zone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    i think 20k unless trades/digital are solid

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I've seen other titles hover around that plateau 20,000 and below it for months. But as you say the digital sales are a factor. We just never know how much of a factor. Runaways for example is very low on the list but they're still cranking out a comic every month. The December figures for it is only 8,297 with a ranking of 220. Black Panther sells less than 20,000 for a while now with December figures of 15,666. It doesn't even seem to be popular among the long time fans here. But I think Marvel lets it go because of the prestige. It has a critically acclaimed writer which brings some positive notice in the mainstream press and of course there's going to be a Black Panther 2 in the theaters.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-20-2020 at 05:40 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I've seen other titles hover around that plateau 20,000 and below it for months. But as you say the digital sales are a factor. We just never know how much of a factor. Runaways for example is very low on the list but they're still cranking out a comic every month. The December figures for it is only 8,297 with a ranking of 220. Black Panther sells less than 20,000 for a while now with December figures of 15,666. It doesn't even seem to be popular among the long time fans here. But I think Marvel lets it go because of the prestige. It has a critically acclaimed writer which brings some positive notice in the mainstream press and of course there's going to be a Black Panther 2 in the theaters.
    damn what's up with runaways
    does runaways do scholastic sales?

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Yeah they got a much needed boost but I don't think anyone was expecting those sales to last. The main title being #2 is still an impressive feat.

I'm a bit surprised by Immortal Hulk placing so low. I don't usually keep up with sales but I figured given the series acclaim it would sell better.
    Immortal Hulk is not placing low. Issue #28 is ranked at 21 with sales at just under 50,000. You might have landed on the lower rank for what is a 2nd printing of issue #25 for 1,580 units. I've seen this happen with the new Doctor Doom series. Issues go back into print if the comic shop sells out of their first order. So far the Doom series had had second printings of every issue. It's not smashing success but it has its' audience and gets good reviews. The issue for January is getting a second printing on February 19th. Diamond Distributers has added a new section that tells you when there are new printings and variants. It shows that issue #3 is also got a second printing. And of course we have no idea what the digital sales on any of this.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-20-2020 at 05:54 PM.

I don't think so but it is possible. But it's a good guess that its fans skew younger and they may be getting a healthy amount of digital sales.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

No know really knows. It could be because of Scholastic, it could be due to some amazing digital or trade sales, or it could be due to editorial having some personal interest in keeping a Runaways book on the shelves for some reason. Some people used to think that it was because of the TV show, and while I do think this current volume was first published for this reason, it doesn't explain how it's been renewed for another arc even after the show's cancellation.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    It used to be around 20K, but that was back when Marvel regularly had 100K books. Nowadays, I think it is closer to 15K or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Unknown digital and trade sales are indeed a factor, as we've seen from Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl and Moon Girls known Diamond's sales figures. But it's hard to believe that those unknown figures are large enough to keep an 8k book like Runaways alive. That one is baffling.

Black Panther seems to have two sets of fans. The forum old fans here who hate Coates Panther, and the Cronin new readers who vote it onto the Top 100 of the Decade -- yet don't seem to be buying the book in floppies. It's very strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?