Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

I had hoped that the success of HoX/Pox would improve the standing of all Marvel books. You know, a rising tide lifts all boats. Yet I see the X-books already contracting to below 50k levels and no discernable difference amongst the rest of Marvels offerings. I'm not looking forward to seeing Empyre's sales numbers, it'll probably sell so poorly that War of the Realms will look like an unqualified hit in comparison.
    Last edited by Kintor; 01-21-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It used to be around 20K, but that was back when Marvel regularly had 100K books. Nowadays, I think it is closer to 15K or less.

Unknown digital and trade sales are indeed a factor, as we've seen from Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl and Moon Girls known Diamond's sales figures. But it's hard to believe that those unknown figures are large enough to keep an 8k book like Runaways alive. That one is baffling.

Black Panther seems to have two sets of fans. The forum old fans here who hate Coates Panther, and the Cronin new readers who vote it onto the Top 100 of the Decade -- yet don't seem to be buying the book in floppies. It's very strange.
    I am a fairly new fan of Black Panther who has read previous Black Panther stories (Priest, Hudlin, Narcisse) that have made me a fan of the character. I am not a fan of Coates and I am shocked that his run is still going the way it is.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I had hoped that the success of HoX/Pox would improve the standing of all Marvel books. You know, a rising tide lifts all boats. Yet I see the X-books already contracting to below 50k levels and no discernable difference amongst the rest of Marvels offerings. I'm not looking forward to seeing Empyre's sales numbers, it'll probably sell so poorly that War of the Realms will look like an unqualified hit in comparison.
    Doubt it. Empyre has been getting a lot of Promo. Even Absolute Carnage pulled 80-100k numbers.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

There's always a huge number for the debut issue and sometimes for a few after. But time will tell if it will be sustained. Hickman's Secret Wars was the number one comic for most of it's run. You don't often see numbers this good for an entire series. Any Marvel property Hickman turns gold these days (stats copied from Comichron)

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Doubt it. Empyre has been getting a lot of Promo. Even Absolute Carnage pulled 80-100k numbers.
    Promotion is one thing but I'm seeing zero hype for Empyre online. The name is stupid, why are we spelling empire with a Y? Plus, it was a bizarre choice to make Hulkling of all people the antagonist of an epic space opera, I don't think he can carry the story.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Promotion is one thing but I'm seeing zero hype for Empyre online. The name is stupid, why are we spelling empire with a Y? Plus, it was a bizarre choice to make Hulkling of all people the antagonist of an epic space opera, I don't think he can carry the story.
    Well, Al Ewing is [half] writing it so I'm hoping it turns out pretty solid. And there's a hellava' hype wave going on with Hulkling's and F4 fanbases. Time will tell

Well, Al Ewing is [half] writing it so I'm hoping it turns out pretty solid. And there's a hellava' hype wave going on with Hulkling's and F4 fanbases. Time will tell
    I've seen a lot of excitement from the Avengers side of things on Twitter as well.

BANNED

I'll take your word for it then. This is the first time that I've even heard of a Hulking fanbase but alright, I guess he can pull off a campy Ming the Merciless vibe if nothing else. Not much of an overlap between the Immortal Hulk and the Fantastic Four in terms of tone though, one of these readerships is going to leave Empyre unhappy.

Hulkling has nothing to do with Hulk - he's a Young Avenger who actually belongs to the Captain Marvel family.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I'll take your word for it then. This is the first time that I've even heard of a Hulking fanbase but alright, I guess he can pull off a campy Ming the Merciless vibe if nothing else. Not much of an overlap between the Immortal Hulk and the Fantastic Four in terms of tone though, one of these readerships is going to leave Empyre unhappy.
    You sound like you have never heard of hulking, not just his fanbase

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's not like Teddy has had a real high profile outside of the sporadic return of Allen Heinberg writing a Young Avengers story. Seems like Marvel finally remembered his existence recently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hulkling has nothing to do with Hulk - he's a Young Avenger who actually belongs to the Captain Marvel family.
    It's still Al Ewing writing much of Empyre though. People are going to expect his darker take on the Hulk mythos applied here. Now if Kelly Thompson was writing Empyre things would be different but she's not involved. As it stands Hulkling doesn't make a competent antagonist, it'd be like Bucky becoming the next leader of Hydra - you can't take it seriously and can only point and laugh.

BANNED

It's still Al Ewing writing much of Empyre though. People are going to expect his darker take on the Hulk mythos applied here. Now if Kelly Thompson was writing Empyre things would be different but she's not involved. As it stands Hulkling doesn't make a competent antagonist, it'd be like Bucky becoming the next leader of Hydra - you can't take it seriously and can only point and laugh.
    Because he isnt the antagonist. This event is a sequel of the kree-skrull war and the Celestian Madonna . Two classic avengers events that will be retold some moths before as promotion.

BANNED

i hope the dont
    the guy can write an epic, and even write goofy fun like with his mighty avengers

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    damn what's up with runaways
    does runaways do scholastic sales?
    Its Hulu show is on its last season and they still advertise for it, so they might keep it going until that marketing campaign ends.