Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Promotion is one thing but I'm seeing zero hype for Empyre online. The name is stupid, why are we spelling empire with a Y? Plus, it was a bizarre choice to make Hulkling of all people the antagonist of an epic space opera, I don't think he can carry the story.
    I can't speak for others, but I am really looking forward to Empyre. The last event I think I was this excited about was the original Annihilation. It's an event that has had some lead up to it, uses existing continuity and is written by a writer I know is capable of writing great stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    damn what's up with runaways
    does runaways do scholastic sales?
    When you deal with a book that has scholastic numbers-that means that is a book that finds it's way to the school libraries. So it is assured of SOME trade sales.

Also Runaways is 10 issues away from milestone number 100. Which would be around October.

Black Panther is close to issue 200-making it the first black lead book among the big two to hit that number (and behind Spawn). Marvel is not going to ax it without milking that for all its worth.

Also Panther trades tend to do well on Amazon for a time. For the most part Coates trades stay in the top 500 of comic trades.

As for X-Men-the main complaint I see is there are too many books and some star the same 5 folks. So for those with budget issues-they are jumping ship.
    While Marvel PANDERED to that vocal minority that scream for X-Men books failed to take into account-not everyone wanted to read those books nor buy all those variants. I have been to stores that had sales and NO ONE was touching them. My store had all books below $4.99 for a dollar for a WEEK. NOBODY touched them. NOBODY. All those variants. You couldn't get folks to be curious. That is an issue.

I'm a bit surprised by Immortal Hulk placing so low. I don't usually keep up with sales but I figured given the series acclaim it would sell better.
    Remember this-how many stores had SALES??? So how many books got lower numbers because of that?

I mean one of my stores had 40% off everything (except new books) and another had buy 2 get 1 free of EVERYTHING (except new books).
    Not to mention those who had 25 cent sales like one of my stores did.

And how much stuff SOLD out and was never replaced? There were some Marvel & DC trades that once they were gone from store-SORRY. Naomi & Hulk were two of those.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I can't speak for others, but I am really looking forward to Empyre. The last event I think I was this excited about was the original Annihilation. It's an event that has had some lead up to it, uses existing continuity and is written by a writer I know is capable of writing great stories.
    Perhaps I haven't been keeping an eye on galactic Marvel side of things, this apparent alliance between the Skrulls and the Kree seemed to have come out of nowhere. Also, the planned invasion of Earth is completely asinine, just an excuse for Marvels heroes to beatup another army of hapless mooks, it gets boring after a while. As far as I'm concerned Empyre hasn't done anything to justify its existence and I expect comparatively low sales to reflect that.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Its Hulu show is on its last season and they still advertise for it, so they might keep it going until that marketing campaign ends.
    They had a Defenders book meant to promote the Netflix shows, and that was quickly finished once Bendis left Marvel, even though they still could've continued to use the book to promote the shows until they were all done. So I'm not sure if this is the reason why Runaways is still being published...

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    They had a Defenders book meant to promote the Netflix shows, and that was quickly finished once Bendis left Marvel, even though they still could've continued to use the book to promote the shows until they were all done. So I'm not sure if this is the reason why Runaways is still being published...
    Weren't they doing those digital only comics for Luke and Jessica around the time the shows were still going?

Correct, Cloak and Dagger got one as well, and so did Iron Fist.
    Yeah, they could've just got a new writer, but instead it was the only one of Bendis's four books to be axed (Dan Slott took over Iron Man, Kelly Thompson took Jessica Jones, and Saladin Ahmed took Spider-Man).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Weren't they doing those digital only comics for Luke and Jessica around the time the shows were still going?
    That's true, but those books didn't last that much, even after the shows were done. Runaways is a unique case, 'cause we know the book is going up until issue 36 at least (the writer herself confirmed this), which means the book will still be published as of August of this year. It's unlikely that they would still be promoting a cancelled show 8 months after it ended.

Yeah, they dropped that Defenders team almost as quickly as Netflix dropped all their Marvel shows...

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Black Panther is close to issue 200-making it the first black lead book among the big two to hit that number (and behind Spawn). Marvel is not going to ax it without milking that for all its worth.

Also Panther trades tend to do well on Amazon for a time. For the most part Coates trades stay in the top 500 of comic trades.
    Coates' BP trades are not really selling well at this time.

Ultimate Member

Captain Marvel is doing quite well now compared to previous volumes.

Film hype and much better writing makes a real difference.

Fantastic Member

i like ewing and slott but empyre has zero i mean zero buzz you saw how concerned marvel was by them putting laaraz and silva on the art for the two prologue issues. Even for all the people on these boards who love hulking and hes better than cho but still has no buzz. Figure marvel is saving their advertising bucks for the big x-men crossover for late summer and fall which they know will be a sales sucess, and got to figure if its ready we get the absolute carnage sequel maybe the end of this year if not early next year

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Captain Marvel is doing quite well now compared to previous volumes.

Film hype and much better writing makes a real difference.
    At least in this rare instance, it seems.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least in this rare instance, it seems.
    kinda worried about CM sales though
    like it seems to be stable at 25-35k range

but how mch of that is the big bumps from the publicity (movie), controversial (dark captain) or speculation (star) that's just trending downwards?

its also still just at 13 issues. By the 19th or 20th it could be down to 20k just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    kinda worried about CM sales though
    like it seems to be stable at 25-35k range

but how mch of that is the big bumps from the publicity (movie), controversial (dark captain) or speculation (star) that's just trending downwards?

its also still just at 13 issues. By the 19th or 20th it could be down to 20k just the same.
    But it will get to 20 issues, unlike previous volumes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    But it will get to 20 issues, unlike previous volumes.
    true true