Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I just don't see the problem with legacies being used to bolster minority characters. It gives them a little recognition and helps them find their footing with audiences.
    I hope my response was not taken the wrong way. I'm totally fine with a Native American character having the name Werewolf By Night. It doesn't go against the original Jack Russell. Indeed, probably down the road, the two might cross paths. Also, part of me knows that it makes perfect sense, considering the role that werewolves play in Native American culture.

What I meant was that although we're getting a new Native American character, it could be argued that there are similarities with another newly introduced Native American character. A legacy, the use of the wolf motif, they are there. Part of me hoped that there could be something different from the wolf, as Native American culture is vast and varied. Additionally, some new readers might confuse the two characters.

Still, these are minor gripes. I very much look forward to reading this character.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Part of me hoped that there could be something different from the wolf, as Native American culture is vast and varied.
    Like a Puma, for instance.
    One of the most underrated Spider-Man villains (or anti villain?) and an interesting character who deserve more than being treated as a D-list joke.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I hope my response was not taken the wrong way. I'm totally fine with a Native American character having the name Werewolf By Night. It doesn't go against the original Jack Russell. Indeed, probably down the road, the two might cross paths. Also, part of me knows that it makes perfect sense, considering the role that werewolves play in Native American culture.

What I meant was that although we're getting a new Native American character, it could be argued that there are similarities with another newly introduced Native American character. A legacy, the use of the wolf motif, they are there. Part of me hoped that there could be something different from the wolf, as Native American culture is vast and varied. Additionally, some new readers might confuse the two characters.

Still, these are minor gripes. I very much look forward to reading this character.
    This is actually something I get. It does feel like they don't get very creative with minority characters.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

I read the preview of this and it sound like that Jake might be Jack Russell's kid. Looks promising but four issues geez, talk about no faith on a new book.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Agreed, I try not to overthink the whole thing, and bow out when threads about new upcoming books turn into discussions on race, diversity etc. That said, being a fan of Jack Russell and Red Wolf, i’m liking the concept, the cover is tight, and, i’m very excited!
    Red Wolf, at least, the modern incarnation, William Talltrees, has interacted with were folk in his Red Wolf career. He was partnered up with Tigra for a short while early on in the Tigra portion of her career. So him showing up in this mag is not totally from left field.