Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Reading comics digitally

I’m a very old-school fan and love my physical copies.
    With the coronavirus, I am concerned that the physical copies are not going to really be a thing (at least during the course of this virus?) - where is the best place to read digitally?
    I will continue to try and buy the proper, physical copies but I really don’t know what will happen to production. Especially with the fact I am from the UK, so shipping etc will soon become a problem.

I dont know if they have this in the UK but Marvel unlimited is a grwat site. Ten dollars american for a month. They are six months behind new releases though. Comixology Is also good but you have to buy each issue. But they have a really good selection.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Unlike DC Universe, Marvel Unlimited is available worldwide.

And as of next week, digital is the only game in town. Diamond has closed.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03...ng-new-comics/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Marvel.com (not Marvel Unlimited) is fine if you want to read just Marvel comics and don't mind navigating their terrible UI but you can't preorder any issues (as far as I'm aware). Comixology is pretty highly recommended in general and you can cross-buy books on Amazon, also you get to pre-order.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Comixology is the way to go with single issue purchases. You can even sync your accounts from the Marvel, and DC websites (if you redeemed issue codes or just happened to buy from those sources at some point) to it. It's naturally also good for trades.

Marvel Unlimited is a solid subscription service if you don't mind being a few months behind. Naturally it's only Marvel titles. It's available worldwide, unlike Comixology Unlimited, and DC Universe.

If you have a local library card, check to see if it gives you access to Hoopla Digital. The limitations of it vary library to library, but it's a great service. Marvel doesn't support it as much as other publishers do, but it's a great, and perfectly legal way to read a huge catalog of comics, and eBooks for free.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Comixology is the way to go with single issue purchases. You can even sync your accounts from the Marvel, and DC websites (if you redeemed issue codes or just happened to buy from those sources at some point) to it. It's naturally also good for trades.

Marvel Unlimited is a solid subscription service if you don't mind being a few months behind. Naturally it's only Marvel titles. It's available worldwide, unlike Comixology Unlimited, and DC Universe.

If you have a local library card, check to see if it gives you access to Hoopla Digital. The limitations of it vary library to library, but it's a great service. Marvel doesn't support it as much as other publishers do, but it's a great, and perfectly legal way to read a huge catalog of comics, and eBooks for free.
    How do you sync your Marvel with Comixology? I haven't figured that out. I know if I have bought a digital version of a TPB, I can see them on both sites under my account. But if I redeem a comic's digital code, they don't show up on Comixology

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    How do you sync your Marvel with Comixology? I haven't figured that out. I know if I have bought a digital version of a TPB, I can see them on both sites under my account. But if I redeem a comic's digital code, they don't show up on Comixology
    I'm really not sure. It's been over Five years since I've done it, and while I recall it just being a few clicks on the Comixology I imagine those options aren't apparent seeing that I've already completed the process.

On a cursory search, it appears that if you go to comixology.com/marvel-sync and log in with your Marvel website password, and user name that will sync the accounts. Presumably you'll have to be logged into Comixology as well.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

With diamond cancelling orders. Does that mean this weeks comics are a no go? Or next week?

If so...does that men everywhere, including USA?
    Sorry...not particularly savvy with this side of comics.

This week's are fine - already shipped. After that though, yeah, no-go.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm really not sure. It's been over Five years since I've done it, and while I recall it just being a few clicks on the Comixology I imagine those options aren't apparent seeing that I've already completed the process.

On a cursory search, it appears that if you go to comixology.com/marvel-sync and log in with your Marvel website password, and user name that will sync the accounts. Presumably you'll have to be logged into Comixology as well.
    I posted this in the other thread for you IM, but it basically takes you to the same spot, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Log onto your Comixology account. Click on My Account. And there should be links to sync both your Marvel.com and Kindle accounts.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Definitely check with your library. Mine uses RB Digital, and they do carry Marvel comics, but they aren't the newest trades. They are, however, free to read.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks Reviresco & Personamax. I'm going to try that later to see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Marvel.com (not Marvel Unlimited) is fine if you want to read just Marvel comics and don't mind navigating their terrible UI but you can't preorder any issues (as far as I'm aware). Comixology is pretty highly recommended in general and you can cross-buy books on Amazon, also you get to pre-order.
    You can preorder digital comics at https://comicstore.marvel.com/ with your regular Marvel login, and you can download the comics on Marvel's mobile app.

I wonder how that is going to go down with the comic shops though? When I mentioned that the other day they weren't happy to hear the news about digital issues being sold on the Marvel site and comixology. Out of respect if that is possible, I will get the digital and then get a copy of the comic itself. I don't read that many these days anyway....maybe 10 a month depending on what interests me.

I wonder how that is going to go down with the comic shops though? When I mentioned that the other day they weren't happy to hear the news about digital issues being sold on the Marvel site and comixology. Out of respect if that is possible, I will get the digital and then get a copy of the comic itself. I don't read that many these days anyway....maybe 10 a month depending on what interests me.
    I don't think there will be any new titles released even on digital after yesterday's books. The publishers are very aware that the brick and mortar stories are their bread and butter, so they aren't going to do anything that would give digital the 'advantage' over the closed LCBS.