Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    308

    Default If DC Fight Scene Choregraphies Will Only Follow Their Animation Department ...

    Their movie fight scenes will blow Marvel ones out of the water.

    Seriously, how hard is this to do? WW, first movie, fight scene was okay, but not exactly fantastic.

    If WW just even used some of these techniques in the movie (with better filming quality of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss64Bgtl-c0 It's a magic lasso, it can be thicker fo cryin' out loud..lol

  2. #2
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Eh, Wonder Woman hasn't had a great fight scene in a while. Bloodline wasn't really impressive on that front. Her best fights were in her origin movie and JL Crisis on Two Earths. That was like a decade ago.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Didn't we just do a rope dart thread last month? But I agree, that "Strormbreaker" scene was AWESOME! If you can do all that with a rope you don't need a sword.

  4. #4
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Didn't we just do a rope dart thread last month? But I agree, that "Strormbreaker" scene was AWESOME! If you can do all that with a rope you don't need a sword.
    I don't know why, but using the lasso to catch a weapon or something and using that against foes always feels too over the top ridiculous even for Wonder Woman. I like more when she uses it to enhance like her wrestling moves in the earlier movies.

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member Castling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Their movie fight scenes will blow Marvel ones out of the water.

    Seriously, how hard is this to do? WW, first movie, fight scene was okay, but not exactly fantastic.

    If WW just even used some of these techniques in the movie (with better filming quality of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss64Bgtl-c0 It's a magic lasso, it can be thicker fo cryin' out loud..lol
    Are the Marvel fight scenes really that spectacular themselves; just a bunch of cut-aways.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know why, but using the lasso to catch a weapon or something and using that against foes always feels too over the top ridiculous even for Wonder Woman. I like more when she uses it to enhance like her wrestling moves in the earlier movies.
    I want her to be spectacular, sensational and cool. Something where even non-fans have to respect her skill as a warrior for peace, and those insanely complex rope tricks provide that. It's not like swinging from lightning isn't over the top and seen as ridiculous by some people too.

  7. #7
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I want her to be spectacular, sensational and cool. Something where even non-fans have to respect her skill as a warrior for peace, and those insanely complex rope tricks provide that. It's not like swinging from lightning isn't over the top and seen as ridiculous by some people too.
    Eh, I thought her fights in her animated origin movie and JL Crisis on Two Earths were pretty spectacular, sensational, and cool. She used the lasso to great effect there. But using the lasso to latch onto and then fling around another weapon all willy nilly feels less cool and more campy. But to each their own.

    And personally I'm waiting to see it in theaters before judging the lightning swinging sequence (cool visual, but she shouldn't need to swing off anything, shouldn't she just fly?).

  8. #8
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I thought her fights in her animated origin movie and JL Crisis on Two Earths were pretty spectacular, sensational, and cool. She used the lasso to great effect there. But using the lasso to latch onto and then fling around another weapon all willy nilly feels less cool and more campy. But to each their own.

    And personally I'm waiting to see it in theaters before judging the lightning swinging sequence (cool visual, but she shouldn't need to swing off anything, shouldn't she just fly?).
    I don't understand it, the fact she can't fly still bothers me. It seems like an arbitrarily imposed limitation designed to upset fans of her comic.

  9. #9
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't understand it, the fact she can't fly still bothers me. It seems like an arbitrarily imposed limitation designed to upset fans of her comic.
    I thought she would fly. I blamed her not flying in BvS and JL on Snyder, but since she actually flew at the end of her origin movie when fighting Aries I assumed it would be a given in her following solo movies. But everything we've seen so far for WW84 suggests flying in her origin was a one off scene because we keep seeing these work arounds like swinging on lightning or that one pic that suggests the invisible plane/jet could be in it.

  10. #10
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I thought she would fly. I blamed her not flying in BvS and JL on Snyder, but since she actually flew at the end of her origin movie when fighting Aries I assumed it would be a given in her following solo movies. But everything we've seen so far for WW84 suggests flying in her origin was a one off scene because we keep seeing these work arounds like swinging on lightning or that one pic that suggests the invisible plane/jet could be in it.
    They don't want her to be another wannabe Superman. There's lots of flying characters in super hero movies already.
    Last edited by Mysterious; 01-31-2020 at 01:52 AM.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't understand it, the fact she can't fly still bothers me. It seems like an arbitrarily imposed limitation designed to upset fans of her comic.
    How did she meet bats & Supes to battle doomsday? Drove? Walked? Taxi? Uber?
    Last edited by Mysterious; 01-31-2020 at 02:00 AM.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    They don't want her to be another wannabe Superman. There's lots of flying characters in super hero movies already.
    Her having a secret identity does more to make her a Superman wannabe than flight. They gave flight to Cyborg and no one calls him a Superman wannabe. There is no reason for her not to have an ability she has had for decades.

  13. #13
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Her having a secret identity does more to make her a Superman wannabe than flight. They gave flight to Cyborg and no one calls him a Superman wannabe. There is no reason for her not to have an ability she has had for decades.
    Well a guy in ig named wondervaughn explain that Diana didn't fly officially until the late 80s with Perez. plus before then she could only glide on currents. and there are newer versions of her that still couldn't fly until hermes struck her with a feather. All the gods are dead tragically so no hermes FTL speed or flight which we've seen neither. Audiences know can cyborg flies cuz of his technology so it makes sense. A lot of websites with forums have a lot of people saying they're glad she cant fly or else she'll be just another wannabe Superman
    Last edited by Mysterious; 01-31-2020 at 02:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Well a guy in ig named wondervaughn explain that Diana didn't fly officially until the late 80s with Perez.
    And that's been longer than Cyborg.

    A lot of websites with forums have a lot of people saying they're glad she cant fly or else she'll be just another wannabe Superman
    As I said, this is a dumb reason not to have her fly as this is not solely a Superman power. And they gave her a secret identity which Superman also has but no one is complaining about that.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Well a guy in ig named wondervaughn explain that Diana didn't fly officially until the late 80s with Perez. plus before then she could only glide on currents. and there are newer versions of her that still couldn't fly until hermes struck her with a feather. All the gods are dead tragically so no hermes FTL speed or flight which we've seen neither. Audiences know can cyborg flies cuz of his technology so it makes sense. A lot of websites with forums have a lot of people saying they're glad she cant fly or else she'll be just another wannabe Superman
    She was CREATED to be a female Superman, he couldn't fly originally either. The "gliding on air currents" thing was a stupid half-measure that strained the limits of credibility. Especially when (like you said) so many other heroes can fly. All heroes from her era that still exist have experienced power creep. Why shouldn't she? And if you want to go back to basics the dceu version should have the full range of her powers, instead of making stuff up like bracelet force blasts and lightning amplification. Then there's the other arbitrarily imposed limitations like the lasso not being able to reach Ares seemingly because of wind, or Superman shrugging the lasso off and resisting it's power with no problem in Justice League. I understand that Superman is a male power fantasy and DC's powerhouse that can't be beaten by a girl, but not flying puts Wonder Woman a tier under Captain Marvel and even Supergirl when she's the world's most iconic super-heroine.

    It's senseless.

    And those people you're referring to can't be Wonder Woman fans.

    I call it sexism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •