Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Basically it went, "something something 'common putting the toys back in the box analogy' something something." I have no criticisms towards this train of thought as it's something I often appreciate in a writer, and I certainly don't blame Brubaker for the split just because if someone wanted to put them back together it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort on anyone's part. That their relationship is now in a state of constant questionability probably means it would have ended up this way regardless. I mean, you think they'd let Bucky and Natasha be a happy stable couple when they couldn't let Peter and MJ last? Marvel doesn't think functional relationships sell stories, and even a relationship centered around a history of brain washing and Russian espionage is too functional for them.

  2. #17
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    I think there were issues were they were gonna cancel the book, and then they weren’t too. I wish I could find that interview they did years ago where he recapped his time right after he left Marvel.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Basically it went, "something something 'common putting the toys back in the box analogy' something something." I have no criticisms towards this train of thought as it's something I often appreciate in a writer, and I certainly don't blame Brubaker for the split just because if someone wanted to put them back together it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort on anyone's part. That their relationship is now in a state of constant questionability probably means it would have ended up this way regardless. I mean, you think they'd let Bucky and Natasha be a happy stable couple when they couldn't let Peter and MJ last? Marvel doesn't think functional relationships sell stories, and even a relationship centered around a history of brain washing and Russian espionage is too functional for them.
    If he hadn't broken them up by erasing her memories...someone would have come along and broken them up some other way just because he or she did not like the relationship. I really wish Marvel would let some of them get married...or at least have committed relationships.

  4. #19

    Default

    Honestly, the break-up via erasing memories, although traumatic af, is still something they as a couple could bounce back from. Which, if I had to end a couple's story that I liked, I would do so in such a way that makes it easier for others to revisit in the future. Which seems to kind of work, since every time they interact there is this undercurrent of angst, and I don't like Bucky has had a remotely successful love interest since.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    Honestly, the break-up via erasing memories, although traumatic af, is still something they as a couple could bounce back from. Which, if I had to end a couple's story that I liked, I would do so in such a way that makes it easier for others to revisit in the future. Which seems to kind of work, since every time they interact there is this undercurrent of angst, and I don't like Bucky has had a remotely successful love interest since.
    Simple solution...when she downloaded into the clone body all the memories got knocked loose...and she has not said anything because he has not said anything...so you get this emotional, humanizing moment from them when it does come up.

  6. #21
    Aged Howler tliscord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Still on the wall
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Basically it went, "something something 'common putting the toys back in the box analogy' something something." I have no criticisms towards this train of thought as it's something I often appreciate in a writer, and I certainly don't blame Brubaker for the split just because if someone wanted to put them back together it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort on anyone's part. That their relationship is now in a state of constant questionability probably means it would have ended up this way regardless. I mean, you think they'd let Bucky and Natasha be a happy stable couple when they couldn't let Peter and MJ last? Marvel doesn't think functional relationships sell stories, and even a relationship centered around a history of brain washing and Russian espionage is too functional for them.
    Maybe. I see it as supporting cast... WS and BW together feel stronger story wise than apart. I might be wrong but clearly the Winter Soldier stories have been pretty mediocre in my mind since Brubaker. Coate’s after introducing in his Cap run has all but forgotten him which really is a shame. Those most successful Cap
    runs including a strong ensemble that included James and the Widow. They could be again. Barnes’ relationship with Nick Sr was also solid and enjoyable. At least until Original Sin.

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member Winterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,607

    Default

    I agree with tliscord, Natasha and James are stronger together.

    Dropped Captain America months ago. Bucky's is doing absolutely nothing in that story and l'm still trying figure out why White Tiger is helping Steve and Natasha's not.

    Coates is so overrated.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture


    "Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

  8. #23
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Basically it went, "something something 'common putting the toys back in the box analogy' something something." I have no criticisms towards this train of thought as it's something I often appreciate in a writer, and I certainly don't blame Brubaker for the split just because if someone wanted to put them back together it wouldn't have taken a lot of effort on anyone's part. That their relationship is now in a state of constant questionability probably means it would have ended up this way regardless. I mean, you think they'd let Bucky and Natasha be a happy stable couple when they couldn't let Peter and MJ last? Marvel doesn't think functional relationships sell stories, and even a relationship centered around a history of brain washing and Russian espionage is too functional for them.
    I think a part of it may also be more writers seem to be into shipping Clint and Natasha, at least from what I've seen and how much the relationship has come up again as of late.

  9. #24
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I agree with tliscord, Natasha and James are stronger together.

    Dropped Captain America months ago. Bucky's is doing absolutely nothing in that story and l'm still trying figure out why White Tiger is helping Steve and Natasha's not.

    Coates is so overrated.
    It moves at a snail's pace, so Bucky could very well be doing something, it just hardly feels like it.
    CaptainAmericaBatman
    DaredevilTheFlash
    WinterSoldierHawkeye
    NightwingRedHood

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    It moves at a snail's pace, so Bucky could very well be doing something, it just hardly feels like it.
    I'm super curious what Peggy (and Sharon) said to Bucky to get him to keep the "Peggy is pulling the strings and not dead" secret, because it's doesn't feel entirely in character for him to keep that secret from Steve.

  11. #26
    Aged Howler tliscord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Still on the wall
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    I agree with tliscord, Natasha and James are stronger together.

    Dropped Captain America months ago. Bucky's is doing absolutely nothing in that story and l'm still trying figure out why White Tiger is helping Steve and Natasha's not.

    Coates is so overrated.
    Not to deepen our wounds any further .... but damn

    “Bucky” ought never role off of Natasha’s lips. Just ain’t right.

    Hmmm, that image didn’t post very well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tliscord; 02-17-2020 at 09:09 AM.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member Winterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,607

    Default

    Winter Soldier by Mike Perkins...

    perkins WS.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture


    "Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

  13. #28

    Default

    It's 2020, so why does Bucky continue to be drawn with the red star on his arm?

  14. #29
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    Falcon/Winter #1 was pretty good. I didn’t hate desensitized Bucky LoL.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member Winterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,607

    Default

    James in Black Widow #1 by Elena Casagrande.
    EUJqH9jXsAALyef.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture


    "Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •