Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well he seemingly has changed his mind and wants to be a backup or mentor now.
    He is not very good with money.

The humble pie is strong.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    He is not very good with money.

The humble pie is strong.
    According to this Newton isn't hurting for money. His net worth is over $45+ million . Nothing is mentioned of bad spending habits or needing to work. Its likely he wants to be in the league and now realizes he'll have to get on as a backup QB and get a chance possibly.

https://www.sportscasting.com/cam-ne...-set-for-life/
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

So the 1997 NFL Draft has been uploaded and its been a classic to watch how it played out. This is the draft Tony Gonzalez came out and the 2 big TE's on the board for the draft was Gonzalez and David LeFleur. The 2 guys were talked up as LeFleur had the size and blocking skill. As Kiper brings up he just didn't have a QB to throw him the ball good and he could have done better in college.

But the entire draft Kansas City was linked to Gonzalez. When was they gonna pull the trigger on a trade is what the analysts bring up. There was 3 teams wanting Gonzalez then . Kansas City , San Francisco , and Dallas. All 3 were wanting Tony Gonzalez its just which team would pull that trade off 1st ?

The Houston Oilers was on the clock and were gonna be moving soon to Tennessee as Berman brings up. The QB was Steve McNair and "Air McNair" was starting his era of the Oilers/Titans QB then.

Houston wanted Michael Booker or Tom Knight at this spot and its wild how things played out. Had the Oilers had those guys there , they stick around and draft one of them. Then with 2+ minutes left Houston traded the pick to Kansas City. Who selected the greatest TE in NFL History.
    You're listing a bunch of Pro Bowlers around this point of the draft... and it was Arizona who got Tom Knight at #9. He's better known as the guy who was so easy to target as a CB that he made Aeneas Williams "the lonliest man in football" on the other side. One of the worst picks Arizona ever made. Cardinals passed on Michael Booker, Warrick Dunn, and Tony Gonzalez, who went off the board at #11, #12, and #13 respectively.

One of their biggest draft blunders. Up there with trading down instead of drafting Terrell Suggs, or the time they took Levi Brown at tackle instead of Adrian Peterson at RB.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You're listing a bunch of Pro Bowlers around this point of the draft... and it was Arizona who got Tom Knight at #9. He's better known as the guy who was so easy to target as a CB that he made Aeneas Williams "the lonliest man in football" on the other side. One of the worst picks Arizona ever made. Cardinals passed on Michael Booker, Warrick Dunn, and Tony Gonzalez, who went off the board at #11, #12, and #13 respectively.

One of their biggest draft blunders. Up there with trading down instead of drafting Terrell Suggs, or the time they took Levi Brown at tackle instead of Adrian Peterson at RB.

My post meant to say the Oilers wanted Knight or Booker . But once they didn't get either one they decided on trading down out of that slot.

This draft is also famous for the Jim Drunkenmiller draft selection. Drunkenmiller was a QB in the mold of Jim Kelly was a nice big arm. He just wasn't a mobile QB. The 49ers were looking at the future of replacing Steve Young at some point. Anyhow before the draft the 49ers had Bill Walsh come in as a consultant. He was asked to look at 3 QB's coming out of the 1997 NFL Draft and weighed on them.

Jim Drunkenmiller
    Pat Barnes
    Jake Plummer

Walsh looked at all 3 QB's and weighed in on it. Telling the 49ers to select Jake Plummer. That he had the same mobility Joe Montana had and that leadership to spur comebacks. He fit the west coast system of a QB and would be the best fit for them. Also Plummer could have learned behind Steve Young a season or 2.

The 49ers took what Walsh told them and disregarded it all and decided to draft Jim Drunkenmiller in the late 1st rd. The guy was out of the league 1999 or 2000. He never fit the system they had and Walsh when he returned as GM those 2-3 seasons to save the franchise detailed how HIS Qb was in Arizona.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

According to this Newton isn't hurting for money. His net worth is over $45+ million . Nothing is mentioned of bad spending habits or needing to work. Its likely he wants to be in the league and now realizes he'll have to get on as a backup QB and get a chance possibly.

https://www.sportscasting.com/cam-ne...-set-for-life/
    Even people with millions may want some more padding on the fortune, especially when it's 'merely' 8 figures. I could live for multiple lifetimes on that even if I vastly increased my spending habits but I have no idea what type of house Newton has or how he travels. The lesson of MC Hammer is still relevant today.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Even people with millions may want some more padding on the fortune, especially when it's 'merely' 8 figures. I could live for multiple lifetimes on that even if I vastly increased my spending habits but I have no idea what type of house Newton has or how he travels. The lesson of MC Hammer is still relevant today.
    And don't forget family, friends and hangers on. Too many stories out there of wealthy athletes spending money like drunken sailors on payday, ending up broke.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And don't forget family, friends and hangers on. Too many stories out there of wealthy athletes spending money like drunken sailors on payday, ending up broke.
    With a lot of guys you hear stories of insane spending etc. I tried googling to see if Newton had spending issues or anything close to this and thus far I haven't seen anything. I mean its possible for sure. Beyond Newton's terrible fashion sense ...he just may want to play like Flacco does.

With a lot of guys you hear stories of insane spending etc. I tried googling to see if Newton had spending issues or anything close to this and thus far I haven't seen anything. I mean its possible for sure. Beyond Newton's terrible fashion sense ...he just may want to play like Flacco does.
    C'mon, man! Get real! Like Ric Flair, Newton be stylin' and profilin'!

I was initially just thinking that if he wanted to spend a million per year then he doesn't have enough to last through his lifetime - granted if I spent a 10th of that I'd need to quadruple my income or more (to account for shifting tax brackets) so what do I know?
    Dark does not mean deep.

The reality of Cam Newton is that he got screwed hard by Covid 19.

His talent isn't in question, its his health over the last few years. Any team wanting to sign him to a big contract was going to want to be able to put him through extensive workouts and medical exams to see if he was truly healed and the Cam of a few years ago or going to the broken down Cam of the last two years. Covid kept any team from being able to work him out and examine him so every team in need of a QB opted to go the safe route rather than take a huge risk on him.

Al Michaels would not be OK with calling games from remote location

Sports teams and leagues are trying to figure out how they can return to action under new guidelines for social distancing. Similarly, TV networks are looking to make adjustments so they can broadcast games in the new environment.

FOX’s Joe Buck has already talked about the possibility of using fake crowd noise and virtual fans to give viewers more of a usual feeling when watching sports without fans in attendance. There is some consideration given to having announcers work from remote locations. Al Michaels says that won’t work for him.

“I would hate to think we would not be able to be in the stadium and announce the games from some other location,” Michaels told Marchand. “That would not fly as far as I am concerned. You have to be able to feel it, even without fans.”
    I think Al is acting under the delusion that he'll have a choice in the matter. If NBC says to call games remotely, he'll have to follow orders. Welcome to the new normal, Al.

One of the craziest things the last couple of years at NFL.Com has been the website slowly being junked into complete ****. In fact I'll run down some changes that the website has done that has really ruined it.

- No FB comments. NFL.Com used to allow you to comment on articles. Sure a lot of spam was posted but many who linked their FB's seriously and would comment on an article was nice. Now you have no way of commenting on the articles at all. Not a big deal sure for some , but I miss the interaction there.

- Game Center update : NFL.Com fixed the gamecenter deal. The entire thing was fixed to where you get more information for sure. But a big problem is , say your playing Fantasy football. You could click a players name during a game and look at their complete stats and more during the season. To see who was really having a great year. This change happened a year or 2 ago and it still sucks.

- Now the latest change was an update to their Player profile section. Now you can pull up current players like say ..Pat Mahomes. But try pulling up say ... John Hadl (QB from 1970's) or Marcus Allen (RB in 80's/90's). ...... Yep you get a 404 Error with Flag on play deal. So basically the NFL in an update to a website has said their past players profiles don't matter anymore.

The NFL.Com site used to be a good one. But the changes and updates to save bandwith and make the site look like a modern one has ruined it over time.

Man if I was the owners of The Bucs and Saints i would be hating this covid virus maybe not letting crowds be at the games. Two games that actually matter between Brees and Brady. Seel out for sure now maybe being played to empty stadiums.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

NFL News...

- The NY Jets signed Joe Flacco to a 1 year deal to back up Sam Darnold. Flacco is coming off a neck disc surgery and was signed due to Jets GM Joe Douglas knowing him from his days in Baltimore. It was Doug as a scout who pushed the Ravens to draft Flacco at #18 in the 1st rd over a decade ago.

- Seattle in looking at RB depth signed Carlos Hyde to a 1 year deal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Al Michaels would not be OK with calling games from remote location

I think Al is acting under the delusion that he'll have a choice in the matter. If NBC says to call games remotely, he'll have to follow orders. Welcome to the new normal, Al.
    If I were an NFL network, I’d be talking to tech geeks and editing departments to consider reimagining the way you would shoot and analyze games, especially on apps and on alternate channels: use the skycam more for one, try and get guys like Pat Mcafee on commentary a lot more, perhaps having a more interactive version of the game’s broadcast available where you could choose your camera angles and have it immediately and conveniently interlocked with the team’s radio announcers...

The crowd noise and energy is a major part of the traditional cocktail, but not quite as necessary as the actual competition itself.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP