Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default NFL 2020 Off-Season

With the regular season 2 weeks away from ending at Super Bowl LIV (It sounds like people are saying Super Bowl LIVE from typing it out) , we can discuss the off season stuff that is starting to rock things. 2020 seems like a year of possible big change ahead on what could impact a number of franchises moving forward.

- Joe Burrow seems for now to be the overall top #1 QB and possibly best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. Whether he keeps that ranking heading into the 2020 NFL Draft we shall see. But for now Burrow and Chase Young seem to be the top guys in this draft coming up.

- There will be 5 new coaches in 2020. Matt Rhule (Carolina) , Joe Judge (NY Giants) , Kevin Stefanski (Cleveland) , Mike McCarthy (Dallas) , and Ron Rivera (Washington)

- The biggest topic of debate is the future of New England. Many are believing this could be the end of the longest running dynasty in NFL history. One that survived over 19 seasons and finally ended possibly with Brady's last game in the uniform. Reports are Brady will talk to teams next season. There is still a chance you will see Brady return. But with 20 free agents and Brady hitting free agency , its a big ??

-

-

NFL News.

- Jim Caldwell has departed the Dolphins after never coaching a game in 2019. Caldwell was signed to be an assistant coach for the team but a health situation led him to leave the team over the summer. He never returned. Caldwell is looking for a coaching job again.

- A day after Tennessee allowed Mahomes to put on another high light show ; Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees has announced his retirement (for 2nd time). Pees claims its time he retired after 47 years and wants to spend time with his wife now. Pees was briefly retired 2 seasons ago when Matt Vrabel convinced him to return to coach the Titans defense.

- Speaking of 2020 NFL Draft , The Bengals responded to an ESPN article claim that they plan to not deal the 2020 #1 pick. Duke Tobin (Director of Player Personel) claimed no decision has been made on what the Bengals will do yet regarding the overall type pick.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This got a chuckle out of me:

Joe Montana on SB LIV: 'Guaranteed my team will win'

Only a knowledgable NFL fan will get the joke right away!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This is very likely to be the biggest off-season for QB movement in quite some time.

Rumored trade bait on Andy Dalton, Mitch Trubisky & Cam Newton.

Meanwhile, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Mariota, Jameis, Dak Prescott, and Ryan Tannehill are all free agents. Likely to be a lot of new faces in new places.

In free agency overall, there are some unbelievable talents to be had. Some of the best:

• Jadaveon Clowney, DE/OLB (Seattle, age 27)
    • Amari Cooper, WR (Dallas, age 27)
    • Chris Jones, DE/OLB (KC, age 27)
    • Yannick Ngakoue, DE/OLB (Jacksonville, age 25)
    • Brandon Scherff, G (Washington, age 28)
    • Byron Jones, CB (Dallas, age 27)
    • AJ Green, WR (Cincinnatti, age 32)
    • Anthony Castonzo, OT (Indianapolis, age 32)
    • Arik Armstead, DE (SF, age 26)
    • Dante Fowler JR, OLB (LAR, age 26)
    • Shaq Barrett, OLB (TB, age 27)
    • Bud Dupree, OLB (Pittsburgh, age 27)
    • Matthew Judon, OLB (Baltimore, age 27)
    • Derrick Henry, RB (Tennessee, age 26)
    • Austin Hooper, TE (Atlanta, age 25)
    • Hunter Henry, TE (LAC, age 25)
    • Anthony Harris, S (Minnesota, age 28)
    • Corey Littleton, ILB (LAR, age 26)
    • Robby Anderson, WR (NYJ, age 27)
    • Melvin Gordon, RB (LAC, age 27)
    • Kenyan Drake, RB (Arizona, age 26)
    • Bryan Bulaga, OT (GB, age 31)
    • DJ Humprhies, OT (Arizona, age 26)
    • Logan Ryan, CB (Tennessee, age 29)
    • Robert Quinn, DT (Dallas, age 30)
    • Michael Brockers, DE (LAR, age 29)
    • Shaq Lawson, DE (Buffalo, age 27)

I mean... there's a lot of recognizable names just there, and I'm omitting a lot of the Top 100 listed.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This is very likely to be the biggest off-season for QB movement in quite some time.

Meanwhile, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Mariota, Jameis, Dak Prescott, and Ryan Tannehill are all free agents. Likely to be a lot of new faces in new places.

In free agency overall, there are some unbelievable talents to be had. Some of the best:

• Amari Cooper, WR (Dallas, age 27)
    • Chris Jones, DE/OLB (KC, age 27)
    • Yannick Ngakoue, DE/OLB (Jacksonville, age 25)
    • Brandon Scherff, G (Washington, age 28)
    • Byron Jones, CB (Dallas, age 27)
    • AJ Green, WR (Cincinnatti, age 32)
    • Anthony Castonzo, OT (Indianapolis, age 32)
    • Arik Armstead, DE (SF, age 26)
    • Dante Fowler JR, OLB (LAR, age 26)
    • Shaq Barrett, OLB (TB, age 27)
    • Bud Dupree, OLB (Pittsburgh, age 27)
    • Matthew Judon, OLB (Baltimore, age 27)
    • Derrick Henry, RB (Tennessee, age 26)
    • Hunter Henry, TE (LAC, age 25)
    • Anthony Harris, S (Minnesota, age 28)
    • Corey Littleton, ILB (LAR, age 26)
    • Robby Anderson, WR (NYJ, age 27)
    • Melvin Gordon, RB (LAC, age 27)
    • Kenyan Drake, RB (Arizona, age 26)
    • Bryan Bulaga, OT (GB, age 31)
    • DJ Humprhies, OT (Arizona, age 26)
    • Logan Ryan, CB (Tennessee, age 29)
    • Robert Quinn, DT (Dallas, age 30)
    • Michael Brockers, DE (LAR, age 29)
    • Shaq Lawson, DE (Buffalo, age 27)

I mean... there's a lot of recognizable names just there, and I'm omitting a lot of the Top 100 listed.
    Its expected KC will likely tag Chris Jones if they can't get his deal done. But the last 2 big names to get deals done is Pat Mahomes and Chris Jones.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

NFL News..

- You can scratch Detroit off the list of possible teams drafting a 1st rd QB. Today Lions GM Bob Quinn told in an interview the Lions are fully behind Matthew Stafford and his return from a back injury in 2020. Stafford's cap numbers the next 3 seasons was debated as he's owed $21.3 million (2020) , $33 million (2021) and $26 million (2022).

- Phillip Rivers has seemingly gave every indication he likely won't be back in San Diego in 2020. He gave an emotional press conference which seemed like he was saying good-bye. Him and his family have moved to Florida to be closer o relatives and the Chargers GM has said every part of the team will be examined. Rivers likely potential landing spots could be the Colts , Bucs , Panthers or Titans if they can't keep Tannehill.

- In an act of goodwill the NFL will auction off NFC Championship gear from the 49ers and other teams to help Australia and the brush fires there.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

It's damn hard to imagine Brady, Brees or Rivers moving, of course, I could end up being wrong. As for the others:

Dalton- if the Bengals take Joe Burrow, he's good as gone
    Trubisky- I think the Bears will give him one more year
    Newton- no telling if the new head coach wants Cam
    Bridgewater, Mariota- they're out
    Prescott- I suspect Dallas will keep him
    Tannehill- not sure, he could stay if Derrick Henry does

Tannehill will be back on the Titans. He was one of the best 3 QB's in the league after he took over as starter. I expect they'll resign him to a multi year deal while franchise tagging Derick Henry,

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    He was one of the best 3 QB's in the league after he took over as starter. I expect they'll resign him to a multi year deal while franchise tagging Derick Henry,
    Tannehill ain't **** and for S's and G's I'll remember you said this. They'd be fools to sign him long term.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    NFL News..

- You can scratch Detroit off the list of possible teams drafting a 1st rd QB. Today Lions GM Bob Quinn told in an interview the Lions are fully behind Matthew Stafford and his return from a back injury in 2020. Stafford's cap numbers the next 3 seasons was debated as he's owed $21.3 million (2020) , $33 million (2021) and $26 million (2022).

- Phillip Rivers has seemingly gave every indication he likely won't be back in San Diego in 2020. He gave an emotional press conference which seemed like he was saying good-bye. Him and his family have moved to Florida to be closer o relatives and the Chargers GM has said every part of the team will be examined. Rivers likely potential landing spots could be the Colts , Bucs , Panthers or Titans if they can't keep Tannehill.

- In an act of goodwill the NFL will auction off NFC Championship gear from the 49ers and other teams to help Australia and the brush fires there.
    Fwiw, Rivers moved to the Tampa area. Do they have enough pieces in place to turn things around in a year? Guess compared to Miami they do.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Much like when Peyton, Favre, Young, Montana, and other QBs moved ... I think Rivers and Brady moving is more of a flag that retirement is on the horizon as opposed to being done with their teams (they could be done with their teams, too).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Tannehill ain't **** and for S's and G's I'll remember you said this. They'd be fools to sign him long term.
    Feel free. But in the meantime lets consider Tannehill's passing stats for this year. Because he didn't start the first 5 games his total numbers won't be as high but you can still make some good comparisons.

He finished #3 in the league in completion percentage at 70.3%. He finished #1 by a HUGE margin in yards per attempt at 9.6 yards per attempt with the next closest QB being 8.6. He threw 22 TD passes while only starting 11 games. That puts him #16 in the league but as said he is missing 5 games. At an average of 2 per game he would have thrown 32 if he'd started all season. That would be #3 in the NFL and only one behind #2 who was Jameis Winston.

Derick Henry wasn't having a good season until Tannehill became QB. Tannehill's ability to throw deep with accuracy opened up the run game and then Henry exploded in the second half of the season because teams had to start defending the deep ball.

Who are the Titans going to get that is better?
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 01-21-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Much like when Peyton, Favre, Young, Montana, and other QBs moved ... I think Rivers and Brady moving is more of a flag that retirement is on the horizon as opposed to being done with their teams (they could be done with their teams, too).
    Steve Young never left the 49ers. Concussions caused his retirement like it did Troy Aikman.

History regarding Brett Farve , Aaron Rogers , Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson could have been so radically different had things played out different. In fact here was the whole situation that unfolded...

- Brett Farve had wanted Randy Moss badly on Packers. In fact it was between 2 teams that was hot for Moss with Green Bay and New England. Farve wanted Moss and the Packers was unwilling to send a draft pick unlike the 4th rd pick New England sent to Oakland to get him. But they did offer....

- Green Bay offered Aaron Rodgers in 2007 to the Oakland Raiders. In fact the Raiders in 2005 draft had passed on Rodgers to select Fabian Washington (CB) and Al Davis would pass on him again and decide to take New England's offer instead. That 4th rd pick would be used on John Bowie a track star CB. Bowie and Washington would both last 2-3 seasons in Oakland. Bowie in his Oakland career had ...2 tackles.

- This would impact the 2007 Draft as Oakland would select JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson.

So imagine this ...Oakland could have had Aaron Rodgers throwing to Megatron.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Tannehill's ability to throw deep with accuracy opened up the run game and then Henry exploded in the second half of the season because teams had to start defending the deep ball.
    None of this is is true. Titans were still figuring it out in the waning games with Mariotta under center. While Tannehill was better than Mariotta nobody was worried about Tannehill's deep ball. Maybe (doubtful) your confusing a 'deep ball' threat with the base play action Tannehill sparsely executed. If that was the case what tf happened to it? I saw him overthrow his TE for a TD in the AFC Championship game on a play where they could have really used ol' deep ball threat Tannehill.

Titans success was predicated on the rushing champ's historic run and Vrabel's defense keeping **** in front of them. Period. They went as D. Henry went. When the Chefs FINALLY slowed Henry, Tannehill could barley convert.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Honestly I'd pay Tannehill his current pay rate while in Miami. It was around $17 million. I mean Stafford never has won much or did make it deep in playoffs and I showed his pay per year. But no way do I ink Tannehill to a long term deal. Because well , you don't know what Ryan Tannehill your gonna get. He did solid this year off a run 1st team (Titans ranked 3rd overall in rushing , 21st in passing) but he's someone who can do great things then struggle awhile. (That was the case in Miami where he'd take sacks etc).

If I was Titans I'd sign Tannehill to a 2/3 year deal. He turns 32 this season ahead. With a draft deep in QB's (one projected draft has 4 QB's going in 1st , 15 draft picks) Titans need to select a QB and let Tannehill be the bridge guy. Til they bring him along. The last 2 QB's they threw out there in quick fashion and it showed with Mariota and Locker. Now they can sit back and let the kid they draft learn and let Tannehill be the veteran awhile.

So yeah sign Tannehill. But don't throw Pat Mahomes money at him or that long term a deal is my belief.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Florida doesn’t have a state income tax. That, and near endless opportunities to play golf are good reasons to move to the Sunshine State.