Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Chiefs are going to screwed soon. Unless Mahomes gives a major hometown discount he is going to deservedly get the biggest contract in the history of football soon which even though deserved will cripple the Chiefs cap wise at which point they'll be come the Packers or Saints, a team that is always competitive because of great QB play but struggles to get to the superbowl because so much of the rest of the team is average.
    And a big part of Brady’s success is he always took smaller contracts. I think the stat is that 12.5% of the salary cap is basically the limit for a QB to be on a Super Bowl winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    And a big part of Brady’s success is he always took smaller contracts. I think the stat is that 12.5% of the salary cap is basically the limit for a QB to be on a Super Bowl winning team.
    Brady also had the advantage of having a wife who made far for more money than him so he had the luxury of putting team above his own earnings.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Brady wanted to win and he understood the cap and issues that there was with it. His annual salary placed him around Drew Brees , Peyton Manning and Eli Manning as this article shows...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...19-year-career

In fact Brady only signed one big contract extension that made him the highest paid player in the league at that point in annual salary. That was in 2010.

Pat Mahomes hasn't made a mention of his future contract. Unlike Dak Prescott , Mahomes agents haven't set where he wants his deal to be. People have thrown out the $40 million a year figure. But as some have brought up Mahomes who likes Tom Brady may see how he handled business and kept the Patriots competing for years. Even before Brady married a super model who made money Brady seemed to put the team ahead.

With the cap issues the Chiefs had in 2020 Mahomes may see this and see how his big deal ahead can impact both sides of the ball.

KC isn't in a hurry yet as Mahomes is under contract through 2020. The Chiefs likely want the deal to hit in 2021 when they will have more cap room. (They have $14-15 million in dead cap money for Eric Berry and another player right now in 2020 as an example)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Here was a nice video from NFL looking at famous QB duels. A few of these we have lost to history and forgotten which I'll post below...

- Lynn Dickey vs Joe Theismann 1983 : This one had the Packers vs Redskins and for years was considered the greatest high scoring QB throwing game. Dickey and Theismann aired it out so much that Joe joked he once went to sidelines , just sit down and started to drink his gatorade as Russ Grimm walked over and told him he needed to get his helmet. "I just sit down .." "They done scored again ..."

Dickey is a QB many have forgotten about as he really wasn't a terrible QB. He had a couple solid seasons in Green Bay and even had a year (1983) where he finished 2nd team all-pro in the NFC behind Joe Theismann.

- Johnny Unitas vs Joe Namath 1972 : Both men were starting to hit their end of their careers. Broadway Joe was having knee issues that would eventually end his career 4 seasons later. While Johnny U (the grand old man) was entering his final season in Baltimore. Where his career was ending (he was more of a backup by 1972 and would end his career in San Diego that next season).

What is amazing is that Namath averaged over 33 yards a pass in that game on 15 completions to get nearly 500 yards passing. Also this was 1972 and the league then was not a passing league as it was now.

- Ken O'Brien vs Dan Marino 1986 : Ken O'Brien was always ripped on for being selected by the Jets in 1983 before Dan Marino. The Jets fans themselves are still angry that Marino was bypassed then and as mentioned the guy thought they were gonna go crazy when the pick went in. O'Brien sadly even while an ok QB with the Jets where he had 2 huge years in 1985 and 1986 never had the career a Marino , Elway or Kelly had from that draft.

-
    -

-- Pat Mahomes vs Jared Goff 2018 : While I can understand people are asking .. where the hell is the Rams/Chiefs game from 2018 ? Since that game had 105 points combined , both QB's threw for nearly 900 yards and Mahomes mistakes (3 Ints) still had him within 3 points of tying the game at the end ! But the game was too new right now to do for this video I'm sure.

Give it a decade and this video will be done again and I'm sure Mahomes vs Goff will be on it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Dallas Cowboys Travis Frederick, 29 announced his retirement today. He has been one of the best OL/centers int he league since he was drafted, but missed all of the 2018 season due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He fought his way back to play all 16 games last season at a high level (he was a Pro Bowl selection), but felt he could no longer compete at the highest level and would not accept less form himself or for his teammates, so chose to retire. It's going to leave a big hole for what was one of the best O=line groups in the NFL.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

The Chiefs decided to sign an XFL player today and inked Jordan Ta'amu (QB) as a prospect. No clue if it will happen or not he makes the main roster but seems a developmental prospect.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 03-23-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Report: Peyton Manning passes on 'Monday Night Football'

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad Peyton turned down the gig. Sure, he's one of THE smartest football minds around and would certainly add a lot to the broadcast, but, there's a problem: that Tennessee yokel drawl of his. It's okay in short doses, like in those Nationwide commercials with Brad Paisley or that show he does on ESPN+, but three plus hours of that drone would drive me insane, and I suspect I'm not alone in that opinion.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Panthers officially release QB Cam Newton. I figured they had more stake in him moniterilly but his deal after second thought was some time ago.
    Carolina only on the hook for 2 Mil in in dead money. Tuh, pretty unceremonious for the face of the franchise the last how many years.

I wonder who gets a gig first, a STARTING gig that is, Crableg or Cam. I'm thinkin' InfaMEIS in age alone.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

End of an era for sure. Cam is going to need some serious O-line protection wherever he ends up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    End of an era for sure. Cam is going to need some serious O-line protection wherever he ends up.
    San Diego might be a good landing spot. I’ve heard the Chargers are seriously considering going into the new season with Tyrod Taylor as the starter. That’s laughable on more levels I can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Report: Peyton Manning passes on 'Monday Night Football'

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad Peyton turned down the gig. Sure, he's one of THE smartest football minds around and would certainly add a lot to the broadcast, but, there's a problem: that Tennessee yokel drawl of his. It's okay in short doses, like in those Nationwide commercials with Brad Paisley or that show he does on ESPN+, but three plus hours of that drone would drive me insane, and I suspect I'm not alone in that opinion.
    I think the accent would be an appeal, actually. Like Don Meredith. Not the same accent obviously but that Texas drawl as one part of the original team still is a bar that's never been matched. But that aside I always had a feeling he'd turn it down anyway. Broadcasting just doesn't seem like an angle he's that into in the end.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I wish Jon Gruden would just admit he sucks as a head coach as we have seen his years in Tampa and Oakland again. Just go back and do Monday Night Football and diagnose plays with weird names. "Thats a Z right , with a hook pattern .." lol

With no football and possible season pushed back if things don't get better virus wise ; on youtube older games from 1980's is shown. In fact lets look at week #1 of the 1985 NFL Season. The Chicago Bears vs Tampa Bay Bucs.

- For those questioning why is the Bucs/Bears a week 1 game. Well back before the NFL added more expansion teams as we know in mid 90's and 2000's , the league had 3 Divisions in each conference. : NFC/AFC East , NFC/AFC Central , and NFC/AFC West. The Bucs were in the NFC Central then.

- This was the Bears famed defense of 1985 season. That defense had stars like Richard Dent and Mike Singletary.

- Steve DeBerg was the starting QB at times for Tampa. A career journey man QB DeBerg would have some solid seasons in Tampa and KC in the 1980's. As the video shows DeBerg was really gifted at play action and was so good that Peyton Manning would study his form at it.

- Walter Payton was in rare awesome form as we see. At one point on a draw play he breaks a shoulder pad and still puts some moves on for a big gain.

- Leeman Bennett was the new head coach replacing John McKay. Bennett had a decent coaching career in Atlanta taking the team to a couple playoff appearances. But was out of the league 2 seasons when the Bucs hired him. He would go 4-24 in the next seasons and be fired after the 1986 season. Today Bennett is retired after running a car dealership in Atlanta into the 1990's and hunts and fishes.

A few days ago Darius Slay (CB) was traded by the Detroit Lions to the Philadelphia Eagles. Slay came out and said he felt like Mike Patricia was disrespecting him and he really didn't respect the coach the 2 seasons they were together. In fact Slay point at a few things which pissed him off. And Slay was coming off an all-pro season when Patricia signed.

- Slay claims he was working out with Talib and Richard Sherman working out during the off season. When he returned in camp Patricia told him he didn't deserve to work out with those guys because he was just good. (This was Patricia's 1st training camp as coach folks). Which irked Slay a lot to hear this as he was already an all-pro player.

- Then as Slay claims a moment that really pissed him off was the incident where during camp a young WR beat him on a route and caught a ball. Slay snapped a pic with the guy to praise him for beating him. As Shannon Sharpe claims older players will do this for younger ones if it happens and give them props for it. Patricia took the instagram pic and video and started mocking Slay in practice with it and told him something vulgar orally about the guy in an act.

Slay had to be calmed down as he said this is something you just don't say to another man where he's from. But another Lions player confirmed it happened and with an assistant coach he calmed down. This is where Slay claims he lost all respect for Patricia as a coach.

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-fr...cia-145231967/

Saw this on Twitter and thought I'd share. As an Eagles fan, I found it humorous!