Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Adam Schefter reporting -
    Text from a participant on the NFL’s mock draft that started at 1 pm EST. “Mock draft today already technical glitch w Cincinnatis 1st pick!!! Brutal.”

More on today’s mock draft technical glitch: The Bengals didn’t do anything wrong; wasn’t their fault. But the glitch resulted in a two-and-a-half minute delay, per source.

I can see this whole thing going bad. I can see it now, some team isn't going to be able to pick and a bunch of teams are going to try and jump them and get their picks in. This might be a mess. And also, why would you wait until this week to do test runs?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

What the league needs to do is have the draft like they used to do. Pull up that 1989 clip. You can basically do this...

- Have an empty room accept the 32 NFL teams and those taking calls spaced apart. Have no one there , just have Goodell announce the selections we see Pete Rozelle do in 1989 draft.

- Have the 4 announcers seated far away from each other and do the typical video packages etc we see from draft.

You don't have to go this damn stupid with it. You don't need to see the GM on the virtual screen. Talk to them over the phone if need be. But ESPN doesn't need to make a crazy production out of this and why they are doing this is silly. You can do small scale NFL Draft.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Adam Schefter reporting -
    Text from a participant on the NFL’s mock draft that started at 1 pm EST. “Mock draft today already technical glitch w Cincinnatis 1st pick!!! Brutal.”

More on today’s mock draft technical glitch: The Bengals didn’t do anything wrong; wasn’t their fault. But the glitch resulted in a two-and-a-half minute delay, per source.

I can see this whole thing going bad. I can see it now, some team isn't going to be able to pick and a bunch of teams are going to try and jump them and get their picks in. This might be a mess. And also, why would you wait until this week to do test runs?
    MIGHT be a mess? This has the potential to be a first class train wreck and a major embarrassment for the league. Those test runs should’ve been done a month ago after it became clear the virus would make social distancing the law of the land and the NFL couldn’t hold the Draft the way it wanted.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Bucs have traded a fourth rounder to NE for Gronk.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Bucs have traded a fourth rounder to NE for Gronk.
    Brady making that happen. Bucs only make that trade if they knew for sure Gronk would come out of retirement. If the Bucs fail this season, it will be because of Brady.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

This throws a promising young TE in OJ Howard in a spot. He is 24/25 right now and seems to be a young TE on the cusp of big things. The biggest factor that has hurt Howard's development is he had Winston at QB who struggled as we know. But this puts the bullseye clearly on Tampa Bay.

With Brady and Gronk (who is 30 but has battled injuries in recent years , its why he retired for a season) this is a short window. Gronk himself is so unsure he wants to play beyond a season he only is doing this for 1 season left on his deal. Because he is worried how he'll hold up. Hell even Brady will have to push himself to prove he can be the same guy in his mid/early 30's again.

This entire thing has a sense of impending disaster ahead.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

So in a nice NFL video we see how the 1975 NFL Draft changed...EVERYTHING behind the scenes. It brought along the modern day sports agent.

Steve Bartowski was considered the best QB in college and was drafted #1 by Atlanta in 1975. He then watched as the lawyer who was working on his deal struggled to get one done with Atlanta. As it stretched into weeks during dinner a young early 20's guy named Leigh Steinberg (a college friend) he asked Steinberg if he could get a deal done for him. It began a career where Steinberg got Bartowksi the then biggest rookie contract in NFL at that point.

Til then the NFL owners had a hard reputation with player agents. Then many were greedy and didn't seem to care about players so a number of guys would let their parents , friends or lawyers do contracts. And owners then were more tight than ever as Steinberg brings up and fellow players.

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    MIGHT be a mess? This has the potential to be a first class train wreck and a major embarrassment for the league. Those test runs should’ve been done a month ago after it became clear the virus would make social distancing the law of the land and the NFL couldn’t hold the Draft the way it wanted.
    I have a feeling this year's draft is going to be super entertaining. All the mishaps could have been completely avoidable, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I'm gonna laugh when the next 2-3 SBs are NE vs. TB.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I have a feeling this year's draft is going to be super entertaining. All the mishaps could have been completely avoidable, but here we are.
    Oh, sure, I'll watch. if anything, it should be plenty interesting.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Oh man I hate both of them (in a football fan way) but that was brilliant!

TB12 in TB with RG is the best present anyone in TB has received for years and years.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Considering that Gronk was never going to play another down in NE (unless they are on the schedule) the trade is actually a good move by Bill. Always, always, always take the chance to get something for nothing. Turning a 7th round pick into a 4th for a guy who had zero chance of playing for you anyways is the definition of that.
    Dark does not mean deep.

NFL News...

- Washington is looking to trade Trent Williams before the draft. Williams name has popped up in trade rumors and the Redskins want a high draft pick for him to move. The next day should tell the story if Williams does get traded.

- Miami is looking to trade up to #3 , but for a tackle. Throwing the talk of drafting a franchise QB out the window.