Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Baker's one year removed from being a Giants' 1st round pick, and Dunbar just had a press conference with Seattle to announce his arrival with the team only hours before the cops announced they had an arrest warrant out on him.

Both teams' front offices are getting a black eye over this, as well as the players.
    I read an article on Sports Illustrated's website that broke down the various legal ramifications. The takeaway from that was those two guys are FUCKED!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I read an article on Sports Illustrated's website that broke down the various legal ramifications. The takeaway from that was those two guys are FUCKED!
    One man's uninformed opinion: The Giants and Seahawks will sit back, keep quiet and let the legal process work itself through. Whether or not there were conduct clauses in the contracts for Baker and Dunbar, those two will be dropped faster than a live grenade after trials are completed. The question is if those guys can be kept from playing as I doubt the legal process will be completed before September, that's where things could get thorny between the teams, the league and the union.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-15-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    One man's uninformed opinion: The Giants and Seahawks will sit back, keep quiet and let the legal process work itself through. Whether or not there were conduct clauses in the contracts for Baker and Dunbar, those two will be dropped faster than a live grenade after trials are completed. The question is if those guys can be kept from playing as I doubt the legal process will be completed before September, that's where things could get thorny between the teams, the league and the union.
    The commissioner can just put them on that suspension list that he's used to effectively suspend other players if he wants.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    The commissioner can just put them on that suspension list that he's used to effectively suspend other players if he wants.
    Forgot about that. Yeah, that would probably be the way to go, takes the action out of the hands of the teams who might be tempted to let those guys play.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

NFL News...

- Former Steelers great James Harrison is claiming that coach Mike Tomlin gave him an envelope after a hard hit on Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. The hit led Massaquoi to have a concussion and led to a fine that was settled at $50,000. The Steelers claim this never happened.

- Aaron Rogers detailed in an article he plans to work with Jordan Love and knows his time is ticking down. Rogers claims he still wants to play into his 40's but seems to hint he knows it won't be in Green Bay.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

So in a nice video uploaded of each teams Super Bowl year someone put up the 1991 Washington Redskins. Only 3 people took part in it weirdly . Maybe it was to save money but the 3 players were : Mark Rypien , Charles Mann and Joe Gibbs. Maybe the budget went to pay Donald Sutherland who did narration of it. Anyhow some nice details on the year.

- Mark Rypien was a 6th rd draft choice in 1986. He had battled injuries and inconsistent play early in his career. They show clips of him forcing passes that were Ints and him just not being there. By the time he became the starter in 1989 he was still a question mark as far as QB goes. In 1990 in a divisional playoff game against the 49ers he would walk to the line and 49ers LB Matt Millen claims he saw Rypien's eyes and told the team how Rypien was questioning himself out there. The 49ers beat them pretty easily. Even Charles Mann admits he questioned Mark Rypien's skills and ability to take that next step with team.

- Mann was having his 2nd kid and got the call from Gibbs his wife was in hospital giving birth. He flew home and returned hours later to play in a game. Where he dominated the game with 2 sacks , forced fumble etc. He flew back home and only had a couple hours sleep during this.

- Gibbs himself was under intense pressure to WIN now. His owner (Jack Kent Cooke) is shown happy over 2 Super Bowls the team won in 1980's. Cooke was getting impatient with the teams struggles in that 3 year stretch to win another Super Bowl. A fact in 1991 off season he questioned Gibbs on why Washington with its aging roster wasn't doing what Dallas and Jimmy Johnson was then with rebuilding with young players.

You get the sense Gibbs was burning himself out as it showed him then late at night looking at game tape in a room. Mann claims Gibbs would sleep in his office during that time on his cot and barely went home during the season. Gibbs himself brings up how experienced the coaching staff was by 1991 and numerous ones went on to head coaching jobs.

- Rypien was a hold out early but agreed to wait on a new deal. Banking on himself. After some struggles in preseason he played great the rest of the season. At one point Rypien threw 6 TD's in a game and was told by Gibbs he was 1 away from a record of 7 TD passes then in a game. Rypien told him that they had won the game already and he wasn't big on records. He also joked , "Coach we may run into these guys later and they can use it to motivate."

- The playoff game with Atlanta is shown and Gibbs was stunned at how at ease Atlanta was. That Glanville was joking around with his players . Mann claims the team took it personal as MC Hammer and Evander Holyfield was on sideline. That Hammer was making a near music video it appeared before the game. Like the Falcons believed they had a win and wasn't taking the game serious and they pledged to make em pay. They hammered Atlanta in that game.

- After the Super Bowl win Rypien was happy and got rewarded with a new deal (which we know how it turned out). Gibbs comically claims he was in the locker room so relaxed after that 3rd Super Bowl win when suddenly some fan throws the door open yelling how they had to get ready for a 4th Super Bowl next year ! Gibbs laughed and claims he yelled back to let him have 30 minutes at least to enjoy this one now. lol

In all Jack Kent Cooke would prove correct in one deal. Dallas had started its rebuild to a Super Bowl era run of 1990's. Washington's aging roster had 10-11 players past 30 with a number of players ready to turn 30 the next season (Rypien etc). The offensive line (The Hogs) would break down due to age and time by 1993. Gibbs would retire after that season. As the team was forced into a rebuild.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Michael McCaskey, the former chairman of the Chicago Bears, has passed away.

Pioneering NFL sportscaster Phyllis George dies at age 70

https://www.fox29.com/sports/pioneer...dies-at-age-70

Days after the Baker & Dunbar's legal issues today Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver was arrested for a DWI and a weapons charge for carrying a fire arm. He too was a 2019 1st rd draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Days after the Baker & Dunbar's legal issues today Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Ed Oliver was arrested for a DWI and a weapons charge for carrying a fire arm. He too was a 2019 1st rd draft pick.
    I don’t know where Oliver was born, but this sounds like a classic case of where you take the kid out of the ‘hood, but not take the ‘hood out of the kid.

We're at the phase of the offseason where team activities would be starting... and due to teams being unable to open...

Well, idle hands seem to be the devil's playground for some players around the league.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

So the 1997 NFL Draft has been uploaded and its been a classic to watch how it played out. This is the draft Tony Gonzalez came out and the 2 big TE's on the board for the draft was Gonzalez and David LeFleur. The 2 guys were talked up as LeFleur had the size and blocking skill. As Kiper brings up he just didn't have a QB to throw him the ball good and he could have done better in college.

But the entire draft Kansas City was linked to Gonzalez. When was they gonna pull the trigger on a trade is what the analysts bring up. There was 3 teams wanting Gonzalez then . Kansas City , San Francisco , and Dallas. All 3 were wanting Tony Gonzalez its just which team would pull that trade off 1st ?

The Houston Oilers was on the clock and were gonna be moving soon to Tennessee as Berman brings up. The QB was Steve McNair and "Air McNair" was starting his era of the Oilers/Titans QB then.

Houston wanted Michael Booker or Tom Knight at this spot and its wild how things played out. Had the Oilers had those guys there , they stick around and draft one of them. Then with 2+ minutes left Houston traded the pick to Kansas City. Who selected the greatest TE in NFL History.

In NFL News , LA Chargers coach Anthony Lynn admits the team near the draft did consider bringing Cam Newton in. But they decided to roll with the veteran in Tyrod Taylor and let the young rookie QB they drafted be with who they went with. Its said Newton's unwillingness to possibly be a mentor or backup for a young QB likely led to many teams not to consider him then. Now its reported Newton is willing to be a backup at this point.

Lynn praised Newton and said he is healthy now. And that he will help a team win some games next year somewhere.

In NFL News , LA Chargers coach Anthony Lynn admits the team near the draft did consider bringing Cam Newton in. But they decided to roll with the veteran in Tyrod Taylor and let the young rookie QB they drafted be with who they went with. Its said Newton's unwillingness to possibly be a mentor or backup for a young QB likely led to many teams not to consider him then. Now its reported Newton is willing to be a backup at this point.

Lynn praised Newton and said he is healthy now. And that he will help a team win some games next year somewhere.
    I don’t know, I’m not sure I could envision Newton as a mentor. Perhaps he couldn’t either.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don’t know, I’m not sure I could envision Newton as a mentor. Perhaps he couldn’t either.
    Well he seemingly has changed his mind and wants to be a backup or mentor now.