Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Terrifics Appreciation 2020

The most surprising survivors of the New Age of Heroes line of comics but they are still alive and kicking, not to mention they have one of my favorite characters in Plastic Man on the line-up. What started out as a parody/knock-off has grown into its own fun team of heroes that I hope we can see continue on in one way or another.

Meet the odd DC family of...The Terrifics!
    Mr. Terrific
    Plastic Man
    Metamorpho
    Phantom Girl (not the Legion one)

And their associates:
    Mrs. Terrific (slightly complicated wife of Mr. Terrific)
    Offspring (Son of Plastic Man)
    Element Dog (all around loveable metamorpho dog)

91FA5E4A-CEA1-4384-8B05-4C0B274D5FEE.jpg
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-20-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Since the start of this book it’s been one of my favorite comics. Sadly this Bizarro arc has really ruined the book. The first few issues were fun but it’s gone on way too long.

As far as the concept as a whole, I love how they’ve made Mr. Terrific the modern day pulp “super science” hero. It’s really helped differentiate him from the other genius superheroes. Obviously the inclusion of Tom Strong helps to cement Holt as DC’s equivalent adventurer.

THE TERRIFICS #27
    written by GENE LUEN YANG
    art by SERGIO DAVILA and VICENTE CIFUENTES
    cover by DAN MORA
    Scientists of the world unite! When Simon Stagg sabotages Mr. Terrific’s latest world-changing invention, reinforcements are needed. Enter the Terrific Council: Blue Beetle! The Atom! Man-Bat! Shay Veritas! Dhalua Strong! (Just hum a theme song in your head, it’ll be more exciting that way.) Looks like Michael Holt has been building a real path to progress behind the backs of his Terrific comrades—but the real question is, what else is he planning?
    ON SALE 04.08.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Looks like a big expansion coming. Also not mentioned in the solicit but on the cover is Roundhouse from the Teen Titans.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Feels like they’ve started to reach their full potential under Yang! I’m hoping that Mr. Terrific co-starring in Strange Adventures will give Terrifics a boost or at least let the book continue on. It’s nice to have a team with no Super or Bat characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

THE TERRIFICS #27
    cover by DAN MORA
    Scientists of the world unite! When Simon Stagg sabotages Mr. Terrific’s latest world-changing invention, reinforcements are needed. Enter the Terrific Council: Blue Beetle! The Atom! Man-Bat! Shay Veritas! Dhalua Strong! (Just hum a theme song in your head, it’ll be more exciting that way.) Looks like Michael Holt has been building a real path to progress behind the backs of his Terrific comrades—but the real question is, what else is he planning?
    ON SALE 04.08.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

Looks like a big expansion coming. Also not mentioned in the solicit but on the cover is Roundhouse from the Teen Titans.
    I'm guessing that's Silas Stone and Lucius Fox next to Roundhouse; just basing off their attire but that could be literally anybody given how DC's design generally work.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

THE TERRIFICS #27
    cover by DAN MORA
    ON SALE 04.08.20
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES

That’s really cool that Mr. Terrific is being portrayed as the leader of DC’s scientist/geniuses/inventors.

I hope they drop the “Third Smartest Man” thing. If he’s going to be DC’s Mr. Fantastic he needs to be neck and neck with Luthor when it comes to intelligence.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-22-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That’s really cool that Mr. Terrific is being portrayed as the leader of DC’s scientist/geniuses/inventors.
    I’m not to surprised, I always had him up there as one of the smartest people in the DC universe, maybe even enough to give Batman a run for his money.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’m not to surprised, I always had him up there as one of the smartest people in the DC universe, maybe even enough to give Batman a run for his money.
    I've never bought Bruce being that high up on the list of the smartest men, I tend to subscribe to the philosophy that Mr. Terrific is interchangeably the 1st or 2nd smartest man on earth at any point in time but he plays to the "third smartest" identifier to stay lowkey. he's high enough on the list (so to speak) to be highly respected but not so high that everybody comes for him looking to take that shot at the king.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Bear in mind, the Terrifics started out as a Fantastic Four copy, at a time when Marvel weren't publishing the FF (it came back shortly after). Reed Richards is considered one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe, so it's not surprising that Michael Holt is getting the same treatment.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Bear in mind, the Terrifics started out as a Fantastic Four copy, at a time when Marvel weren't publishing the FF (it came back shortly after). Reed Richards is considered one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe, so it's not surprising that Michael Holt is getting the same treatment.
    They were already positioning him as the Reed Richards of the DCU way back at the start of the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I've never bought Bruce being that high up on the list of the smartest men, I tend to subscribe to the philosophy that Mr. Terrific is interchangeably the 1st or 2nd smartest man on earth at any point in time but he plays to the "third smartest" identifier to stay lowkey. he's high enough on the list (so to speak) to be highly respected but not so high that everybody comes for him looking to take that shot at the king.
    I think than Bruce is indeed a great mind as a criminalist, detective and strategist. But to being capable of create IA. I think he is good copying the creations of others or adapting the tech from other people to his bat-themes.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They were already positioning him as the Reed Richards of the DCU way back at the start of the New 52.
    All I remember from New 52 is that he got sent to Earth 2 (New 52 Earth 2, not pre Crisis) which I think Dark Nights: Metal made canon.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    You’ll be happy to know that Tom King, who will be writing Holt in Strange Adventures, has that exact same belief.
    37E505AA-F44F-4259-B4B5-0F04AD32C044.jpg
    I personally definitely agree that Holt should be at least number 2 on a top 10 list.

That's too small to read. I suggest uploading it to Imgur instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’ll be happy to know that Tom King, who will be writing Holt in Strange Adventures, has that exact same belief.

I personally definitely agree that Holt should be at least number 2 on a top 10 list.
    I remember that panel, it's always nice to see more writers putting respect on Mr. Terrific's name.

currently following: