View Poll Results: Is WW annual #3 the worst WW story ever?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worst ever!

2 16.67%
  • Oh no, this one was way worse (specify) ....

10 83.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Annual #3: worst WW story ever?

If not, which one(s) is worse

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It was far from the worst IMO. I really liked it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

No.

That honor goes to one of Meredith Finch or James Robinson's stories.

Not even close, I enjoyed WW Annual #3. It was rip roaring good fun I only wanted to know why Diana was half Diana Prince and half Wonder Woman.
    Still that made it cool and something never seen before.

Plus Warmaster is an interesting new villain with a great backstory.

The worst WW Annual is #8

Attachment 91966

despite having Gorilla City Orlando's story managed to avoid the cringiness of that one

Incredible Member

Good Lord, the art to annual #8 is terrible. I don't know if that's because of the pencils, the inks, or both, but...gah.

And what one Earth is Artemis wearing? So skimpy and S&M-ish.

And while I don't mind a few of the ideas in the story, the structure is a mess. Were any of the "JLApe" annuals good? I vaguely remember the whole event being lackluster, but it was a long time ago.
    Last edited by Frank; 01-21-2020 at 12:47 PM.

LOL, it's definitely up there, but not THE worst.

I actually liked the Finch run - it got me into Wonder Woman. Maybe it was just what was on the shelf at the time and rose colored glasses and all. I'm all good with all of it as long as we move on from the Cheetah stuff. I bought #83 with Silencer on the front without cracking the cover... another Cheetah story...
    Last edited by Chuffed; 01-21-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Are we talking about the gorilla city one? What was wrong with it?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Are we talking about the gorilla city one? What was wrong with it?
    As a story, not much. Reasonably tense and exciting action, if a bit repetitive at times. Art was mediocre (at least to me). Dialogue was one-note. Basically a filler story to read once. But it has a lot of troubling subtexts and implications.

First, it takes what is arguably Donna's best origin and gives it to Helen. Not a biggie, but it feels lazy and like DC and Orlando puts a very low priority on Donna.

Second, it goes right into the colonialist-imperialist mindset, where the USA (or in this case ARGUS) has a given right to interfer in the internal affairs of every other nation on Earth. And Diana goes along with it, despite some lip service towards the value of non-interference and diplomacy. It does pay lip service to that "Grodd's rule is legitimate" by the end of the primary arc, but it's not like it does anything with that revelation.

Third, the way that Helen is "corrupted" picks up on the trope that "bad blood" beats a good upbringing, or that ancestry trumps all with regards to identity. That's something that many adoptees has to struggle with.

Fourth, the way Orlando needlessly parrots far-right groups when Helen's birth parents group of neo-Nazis are presented as heirs to the Valkyries, i.e. Norse culture. It doesn't matter if the neo-Nazis are the bad guys here, because he shits on my cultural heritage.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The Azzarello and Finch runs remain the absolute nadir of Wonder Woman stories, bleak and self-indulgent. The art in Dead Earth is easily worse.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    The Azzarello and Finch runs remain the absolute nadir of Wonder Woman stories, bleak and self-indulgent. The art in Dead Earth is easily worse.

Agreed on all fronts. Even Shea Fontana's run was way worse than Annual #3.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. Even Shea Fontana's run was way worse than Annual #3.
    And the Annual #3 had the astonishing, blaze-it-across-the-sky virtue of telling a single story from start to finish inside the pages of one comic book. This is rare enough any more to be worthy of high praise regardless what you think of the tale itself.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Whenever someone mention Azzarello run it make my blood boil!!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Second, it goes right into the colonialist-imperialist mindset, where the USA (or in this case ARGUS) has a given right to interfer in the internal affairs of every other nation on Earth. And Diana goes along with it, despite some lip service towards the value of non-interference and diplomacy. It does pay lip service to that "Grodd's rule is legitimate" by the end of the primary arc, but it's not like it does anything with that revelation.
    This has been a problem with Wonder Woman since the Perez era at least though, where the character was 'modernized' as an international agent of peace. I'm not a fan of these stories at all either, but the framing of this story taking place in a fictional Gorrilla city is better than it taking place in a vaguely Latin, Middle Eastern or Slavic nation. Both Wilson and Rucka both begin their runs with this trope for instance.

Third, the way that Helen is "corrupted" picks up on the trope that "bad blood" beats a good upbringing, or that ancestry trumps all with regards to identity. That's something that many adoptees has to struggle with.
    I agree that's a bad trope, but is the story actually finished? I don't pay attention to solicits so I don't know, but this felt to me like the intro to a story line where the resolution comes from Wonder Woman explaining that she needn't view the world that way. Also, it feels like there is some sort of mind control going on here or something.

Fourth, the way Orlando needlessly parrots far-right groups when Helen's birth parents group of neo-Nazis are presented as heirs to the Valkyries, i.e. Norse culture. It doesn't matter if the neo-Nazis are the bad guys here, because he shits on my cultural heritage.
    I reread what the bad guy (Leviathan??) says and I'm pretty sure he's lying or something. He's definitely not telling the whole story at least. Also, the guy doesn't say all Valkyries are related to Nazis, just a specific one (Gudra).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut