View Poll Results: Is WW annual #3 the worst WW story ever?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worst ever!

2 16.67%
  • Oh no, this one was way worse (specify) ....

10 83.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This has been a problem with Wonder Woman since the Perez era at least though, where the character was 'modernized' as an international agent of peace. I'm not a fan of these stories at all either, but the framing of this story taking place in a fictional Gorrilla city is better than it taking place in a vaguely Latin, Middle Eastern or Slavic nation. Both Wilson and Rucka both begin their runs with this trope for instance.
    I think there are some clear differences between how these writers use those tropes. Wilson doesn't frame the intervention as moral, and has Diana act as an agent for diplomacy in her story. She also doesn't have Diana run around beating up foreigners all of the story—her actions are focused on defending civilians. (It also has that deeply ironic conversation between Etta and Diana about interventions…) Rucka again has Steve doing the intervention, and then let Diana rescue him.

Orlando, on the other hand, has Diana run around beating up people just because they are foreign, and then adds a little meaningless coda that "Grodd's rule is legitimate", meaningless because it gives rise to no discussion or soul searching for the characters, and because it is disconnected from the entire preceding story.

I agree that's a bad trope, but is the story actually finished? I don't pay attention to solicits so I don't know, but this felt to me like the intro to a story line where the resolution comes from Wonder Woman explaining that she needn't view the world that way. Also, it feels like there is some sort of mind control going on here or something.
    Possible, but I haven't seen such nuance from Orlando earlier.

I reread what the bad guy (Leviathan??) says and I'm pretty sure he's lying or something. He's definitely not telling the whole story at least. Also, the guy doesn't say all Valkyries are related to Nazis, just a specific one (Gudra).
    It's still parroting one of the favourite memes of neo-Nazi and far-right groups, and showing it on-camera.

And of course Leviathan's lying, but likely not about everything.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This has been a problem with Wonder Woman since the Perez era at least though, where the character was 'modernized' as an international agent of peace. I'm not a fan of these stories at all either, but the framing of this story taking place in a fictional Gorrilla city is better than it taking place in a vaguely Latin, Middle Eastern or Slavic nation. Both Wilson and Rucka both begin their runs with this trope for instance.
    Marston was the one who depicted Diana this way and if anything it was downplayed during and after the Perez run. Half the time she's either fighting the Olympians or other Amazons these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Marston was the one who depicted Diana this way and if anything it was downplayed during and after the Perez run. Half the time she's either fighting the Olympians or other Amazons these days.
    Good point(s).
    The Perez take on WW was/is a good one. It gives WW a clear reason to be in man’s world other than just fighting bad guys, and sets her apart from more traditional heroes.
    It also allows for a wide range of story ideas that could literally take her around the world or across the universe, and put her in the crosshairs of all sorts of bad guys, both human and otherwise.

Incredible Member

I always felt the issue number 0 tweaking of the Perez origin was pretty awful and unforgivable. It served no purpose and crapped on Hippolyta and the sleazy sexy art didn't help.